Average investment to be build ready?

Shiftysmooth

Just The Tip cue repairs
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, Ive talked a bit about this in messages with Chris Hightower and Bill the Cat, I was just wondering what your average investment in getting a build ready lathe setup with a mid size lathe or tsp&b pro lathe?

I intend on getting into building in the future, but for now plan on cutting my teeth on repairs, but I will have some equipment. One of my best buds grandpa used to do wood working and knife making, but he passed away years ago, and nothing really been done with his equipment. I asked my bud about the stuff a few days ago, and this weekend Im heading back to my hometown to pickup my free tablesaw, bandsaw, upright sander, bench grinder, and bench polisher.

I guess my main question is, what should I get to get me ready to do some shafts and plain janes, or should I just go ahead and get the upgraded deluxe? I will soon have the means to spend around $5k on the deluxe and inlay accessory and whatever else I could need, or should I just save it for a couple years and work on repair work?

Any input would be appreciated, and main reason Im interested is we have no real local repair guy to work on cues, and there's a lot of guys I play with needing it, on top of my pool hall said I have all their repair work as soon as Im set up.

Thanks guys!!

Shiftysmooth

Just The Tip cue repairs
Gold Member
Silver Member
Didnt realize how much I wrote, TLDR; Invest big now while I have the means, or start smaller, see how it goes and hope to have more means later.

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
starting up

I learned years ago to start up a small business like this is not like getting a store or some retail outlet started where you start small and build up as you sell. I have been a knifemaker for almost 30 years and cuemaking is very similiar to that. Get the best and most you can in equipment to start with if you know this is something you want to do. I teach knifemaking and tell people don't buy anything until you are sure, then get the best you can. If it don't work out you can always sell good equipment at a fair price.
You start with the very basics and you can get frustrated and then not stay with it, that is not giving it a chance. If you believe in something go all out and then put the time in to make it work.
Good Luck
Just my 2 cents
Percy/knifemaker

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If cue building is your goal and you can afford the Deluxe you will be happier with it than the smaller machines.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
5-7k on lathe and other equipment and wood is a pretty good figure as to the low ball if you really want to be building cues and have full capabilities to do such.

Its really all about the wood tho....the best cue making equipment wont do anything for bad quality wood or unseasoned wood etc.....

but yea you could spend as little as 5K and be set up pretty good and have an ok bundle of differing wood.

I've spent about 2.5k so far but have limited capabilities its going to take me about another 3k to finish buying the equipment i want/need and another couple thou for some more wood...losing my job during the oil spill really put a damper on my plans but I've thrown together a couple cues that turned out very nice, now that I found another great job (since 2days ago lol) i hope to get back on the track i was taking prior to 4/20

good luck,
-Grey Ghost-

Shiftysmooth

Just The Tip cue repairs
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully Ill be getting my money soon for my setup! And I do understand about getting into building, Im not in it for the money, just something Id think Id really like to do. Pool has become my addiction in the past few years, and this just seems like a natural progression for me!

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
5-7k on lathe and other equipment and wood is a pretty good figure as to the low ball if you really want to be building cues and have full capabilities to do such.

IMO this number seems quite low. Not only do you need a lathe and wood, but air handling equipment, finishing equipment and paint, inlay equipment and material, drills/taps/tooling, leather wrap installation jig and wraps, veneer material, adhesives, pins, phenolic stock, sand paper, tips, ferrules... I'm going to stop here, but the list goes on. Of course you may not need all of this on day one, but dont' kid yourself, it takes a good chunk of change to put together a decent set up.
Mr H

Trent

Banned
its fun and addicting thats for sure and its really neat to take a cue out that you made and have people ask about it.

i love mine.

and honestly you can get into this for pretty cheap all things considered if your thrifty
watch craigslist for a decent lathe, tablesaw, belt sander, grinder, joiner, and dust collector. i have 3 lathes a table saw tapering machine and the extras above thats listed and i spent right around 6000 (for just equipment not wood and materials) for all.

after the big investment of a large lathe and a rear chuck for it, theres plenty of information on this forum to get you going.

i have a aluminum shaft taper bar id sell, i made for a metal lathe you would have to rig up your own mount, spring and bearing but it would work and you could off set your tail stock to do buts.

lemme know if you want that taper bar and i have a router and 2 cutters (one for shafts one for butts) id sell as well, email me at marleycustomcues@yahoo.com

this post turned kinda long.

Last edited:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
IMO this number seems quite low. Not only do you need a lathe and wood, but air handling equipment, finishing equipment and paint, inlay equipment and material, drills/taps/tooling, leather wrap installation jig and wraps, veneer material, adhesives, pins, phenolic stock, sand paper, tips, ferrules... I'm going to stop here, but the list goes on. Of course you may not need all of this on day one, but dont' kid yourself, it takes a good chunk of change to put together a decent set up.
Mr H

Don't forget the fishing poles, cooler stocked with favorite beverage and a friend with a boat.
For 100K I can set you up with everything you need to get started and sustain your desires for many years to come......minus the fishing poles and cooler of course!

levka

Registered
Like other people said, look on craigslist / kijiji / ebay for deals.

I'm getting in to cue making myself (strictly as a hobby, not in it for profit of any kind) and picked up a Grizzly Metal Lathe for $1500. Machine shop liquidation sale was awesome. Picked up band saw, belt sander and few other items there.

Wood is expensive, but if you just starting this as a hobby, start small. Mostly maple and some exotics.

If you going to buy something, make sure you buy quality product. Saving money on taps, drill bits and other parts will just hurt you more as you will have to replace them more often.

Figure out your budget ahead of time. Visit some of the web sites that sell cue building supplies and figure out what you will need ahead of time: pins, taps, drill bits, rings, collars and so on.

AND LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES, DON'T RUSH IN TO THIS AND START BUYING STUFF LEFT AND RIGHT. DO YOU RESEARCH AHEAD OF TIME. I RECOMMEND JOE BARRINGER DVD SET. IN MY OPINION IT'S A MUST FOR NEW CUE MAKER.

My 2 cents,
Lev

p.s. I didn't bother checking spelling :)

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like other people said, look on craigslist / kijiji / ebay for deals.

I'm getting in to cue making myself (strictly as a hobby, not in it for profit of any kind) and picked up a Grizzly Metal Lathe for $1500. Machine shop liquidation sale was awesome. Picked up band saw, belt sander and few other items there.

Wood is expensive, but if you just starting this as a hobby, start small. Mostly maple and some exotics.

If you going to buy something, make sure you buy quality product. Saving money on taps, drill bits and other parts will just hurt you more as you will have to replace them more often.

Figure out your budget ahead of time. Visit some of the web sites that sell cue building supplies and figure out what you will need ahead of time: pins, taps, drill bits, rings, collars and so on.

AND LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES, DON'T RUSH IN TO THIS AND START BUYING STUFF LEFT AND RIGHT. DO YOU RESEARCH AHEAD OF TIME. I RECOMMEND JOE BARRINGER DVD SET. IN MY OPINION IT'S A MUST FOR NEW CUE MAKER.

My 2 cents,
Lev

p.s. I didn't bother checking spelling :)

Tap Tap!

Ditto to all the above - I don't have the Joe Barringer DVD's but I'd probably go with the Hightower DVD's instead.

Gary

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully Ill be getting my money soon for my setup! And I do understand about getting into building, Im not in it for the money, just something Id think Id really like to do. Pool has become my addiction in the past few years, and this just seems like a natural progression for me!
i used to shoot pool at least 5 nites a week, sometimes 7 nites
8ball, 9ball , one pocket , straight pool leagues & "play play" as tom cruise said
now i am lucky if get 1 nite in
the more i built the less i played

Trent

Banned
i used to shoot pool at least 5 nites a week, sometimes 7 nites
8ball, 9ball , one pocket , straight pool leagues & "play play" as tom cruise said
now i am lucky if get 1 nite in
the more i built the less i played

isnt that the truth!!

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Start your river of wood first. If you don't have anything to use in all that equipment it doesn't do you any good.