AZB Pool Tournament at BCAPL in Vegas!

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
It's the last day of both the singles and singles second chance tourneys- can we wait until we get knocked out of those events to sign up for this one?

This software is really easy to remove someone at the last minute (day) if necessary. So if we have folks in the finals of the singles tournaments (I hope we do...like me :p ) then we will adjust the sign ups accordingly.

Look forward to it!

Ken

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ken,

As organizer of this event, please keep me posted on its progress.

I think the most important thing is to determine a time and day.
The best option might be Tuesday 30th (last day of the singles events and only a few remaining players are still in the tournaments. The BEF 'Challenge the Stars' will be Tuesday evening - I think - so try to stay away from that.)

The Teams are really winding down by the 26th - but most people are ready to get out of Vegas by then.

We will be able to probably provide a good number of tables so the event go move rapidly. I believe single elimination is best so players don't 'disappear'.

I am not trying to run this event - but want it to 'not conflict' with other things that are going on.

No signs will be allowed to be attached to the walls in the ballrooms. But we can put signs on the pipe & drape.

Just some thoughts.

Mark Griffin

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Ken,

As organizer of this event, please keep me posted on its progress.

I think the most important thing is to determine a time and day.
The best option might be Tuesday 30th (last day of the singles events and only a few remaining players are still in the tournaments. The BEF 'Challenge the Stars' will be Tuesday evening - I think - so try to stay away from that.)

The Teams are really winding down by the 26th - but most people are ready to get out of Vegas by then.

We will be able to probably provide a good number of tables so the event go move rapidly. I believe single elimination is best so players don't 'disappear'.

I am not trying to run this event - but want it to 'not conflict' with other things that are going on.

No signs will be allowed to be attached to the walls in the ballrooms. But we can put signs on the pipe & drape.

Just some thoughts.

Mark Griffin

Absolutely! You are the real engine behind this event since you will be providing us with almost everything (tables, space, etc) to make it happen!

I will post our numbers here periodically. (currently 15)

If you feel we start getting too big or circumstances changes somehow and we need to make adjustments just say the word. We could even break it into a few smaller tournaments if that helps. I doubt anyone will mind. I think the biggest draw is meeting folks in person who we might have only known online!

I can't wait to see Cardiac Kid play! It's gotta be sweet!

Ken

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Hi Ken,

Spoke with MG this week while in Vegas for the ACS events. The tables he wants to allow us to use will be in the "practice" room. Once we have a confirmed date for the event, Mark may provide us with table numbers so we can promote the event here on AZ. Showed me a preliminary layout for the tournaments in July. Looks great! Can't wait.

As far as watching me play, I'm just a poor, really really old, country boy who needs lots and lots of weight :p !!!

Lyn

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like fun

Do we have to sign up now or will on-site sign ups be accepted?

I would suggest playing 10 ball, using BCAPL rules as this is being held at the BCAPL National Championships.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, whether I am able to play or not.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Hi Ken,

Spoke with MG this week while in Vegas for the ACS events. The tables he wants to allow us to use will be in the "practice" room. Once we have a confirmed date for the event, Mark may provide us with table numbers so we can promote the event here on AZ. Showed me a preliminary layout for the tournaments in July. Looks great! Can't wait.

As far as watching me play, I'm just a poor, really really old, country boy who needs lots and lots of weight :p !!!

Lyn

I thought times and dates were solid. Tuesday July 23rd at 1pm

I am open to anything. I just threw my hat in the ring to help out. I am your servant for the day! Unless of course I am still playing in the singles event then well...I love ya but...

Seriously though, if that happens I can make it happen from my phone! I will just need someone to call matches at the tournament site.

As far as you needing weight...my running buddy (Bill Taylor) is 77 and I learned long ago that pool is a timeless game...on a bar box!

This is sounding like more fun everyday!! Ya'll get signed up so we can give Mr. Griffin a clear picture of our needs.

Ken

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Do we have to sign up now or will on-site sign ups be accepted?

I would suggest playing 10 ball, using BCAPL rules as this is being held at the BCAPL National Championships.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, whether I am able to play or not.

Early sign up is desired so we can be sure to have everything in place that we need to make it happen in a timely and efficient manner.

Hope to get to meet ya!

Ken

p.s. If we have tables and availability, on site sign up will be accepted but I wouldn't bank on it.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
How about race to 3 both sides playing ten ball using Texas Express 9 Ball rules? I would like to add a rack your own with the ten not counting on the break at the foot of the table.

I will have a laptop if Mark can provide me with internet access we will be golden on the brackets. This site is pretty slick for running tournaments. Just got finished using it to run a little tourney we had tonight at Jamaica Joe's! http://challonge.com/joes03292013

Ken

This post has been out there a while and so far I have only heard one other suggestion. That was 10 ball using BCA rules.

Due to Mr. Griffin mentioning concerns for time I would like to suggest the following adjustments to help speed things up a bit.

9 ball using Texas Express rules (we have Randy on site for rulings :) )
race to 3 both sides
alternate break
rack your own
9 on the break at the foot of the table does not count for a win.

It appears we are going to have about 6 hours to play this tournament. With these rules I am fairly sure we can do 16 man double elimination brackets without running too long. This could become quite a task if it gets too big. So I am thinking limiting it to two 16 man tournaments is a good idea. If it fills up I will gladly stand down so others can play since I will have my hands full.

Thoughts?

Ken

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ken,

I am only suggesting things - I will support whatever you guys decide.

BUT - with everything going on, I am not so sure that double elimination is the way to go.

You might end up having to keep people in the room for too long, and they might start wandering and you might have delays in the future matches etc.

Why not go single elimination. You can make the races longer.
But require some kind o ftime limit.

On the race to 3 suggested, you are going to have some 45 minute matches. That can cause long time delays.
This is more important to be a get together - not a serious tournament.

16 man event - single elimination is 4 rounds - using 8 tables the first round.
16 man event - double elimination is 7 rounds - using 8 tables the first 2 rounds.

Just my thoughts.

Mark Griffin

Last edited:

VillageSlim

Registered
Ken,

I am only suggesting things - I will support whatever you guys decide.

BUT - with everything going on, I am not so sure that double elimination is the way to go.

You might end up having to keep people in the room for too long, and they might start wandering and you might have delays in the future matches etc.

Why not go single elimination. You can make the races longer.
But require some kind o ftime limit.

On the race to 3 suggested, you are going to have some 45 minute matches. That can cause long time delays.
This is more important to be a get together - not a serious tournament.

16 man event - single elimination is 4 rounds - using 8 tables the first round.
16 man event - double elimination is 7 rounds - using 8 tables the first 2 rounds.

Just my thoughts.

Mark Griffin

I totally agree....race to 5...single elimination....I likely would not play double elim...takes too long.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...who just HAPPENS to be a national champion! LOL :D You can fool some of the people some of the time, Lyn! See you in July! BTW, how did you do in the ACS? Randyg got 4th, and his buddy Claude got 2nd (in the 8ball senior div.). It's really too bad that instructors can't play! LMAO

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

As far as watching me play, I'm just a poor, really really old, country boy who needs lots and lots of weight :p !!! Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
...who just HAPPENS to be a national champion! LOL :D You can fool some of the people some of the time, Lyn! See you in July! BTW, how did you do in the ACS? Randyg got 4th, and his buddy Claude got 2nd (in the 8ball senior div.). It's really too bad that instructors can't play! LMAO

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Hi Scott,

Found a way to lose in both the Open Nine Ball and Advanced Eight Ball. Wound up playing a guy from Louisiana in the Nine Final. Had to spot him 9 - 7. He honestly could have given me 9 - 7. Great player and a nice guy. Beat Dustin Gunia for the Eight hot seat. Upset him so much :p he told me he didn't sleep Monday night. Tuesday he double dipped me! Oh well. There is always next year (I hope). Look forward to seeing you in July.

Incidentally, can you teach me how to win? Tired of being first among those who lose :yikes:!

Lyn