Backers are a dime a dozen, the wannabes

jasonlaus said:
Do you not understand I'm the Fatboy of sentence structure? Keep hatin.

And?!
So, which one was it?

Surely you want your insult to come shining through, right?
 
SUPERSTAR said:
And?!
So, which one was it?

Surely you want your insult to come shining through, right?

I don't need to insult you, everyone can see the type of person you are for themselves. Done with this, done with you.
 
Slightly off topic, but I am just wondering why nobody is questioning the character of the pool player that is doing the abusing. Personally, I could never do that to another person no matter how much they are asking for it.
 
Careful, Vinnie

Vinnie said:
Slightly off topic, but I am just wondering why nobody is questioning the character of the pool player that is doing the abusing. Personally, I could never do that to another person no matter how much they are asking for it.

We don't want to be bashing pool players here. Succubus pool players are NEVER at fault.

This is a thread about how everyone else is stupid and pool players rule.

Especially superstar!!!:thumbup: Everyone but him in the world sucks!

MM
 
If you cut a player in for half, you have to win 67% of the time. Meaning 33.5% each - 33% for losses, just to win .5% of your total bets.

Doesn't add up unless you are stealing. Here for uwate

dice....little green (hit a couple good hard 8s)
cards...alot green (ran poker room)
football...red (I hate football bets)
basketball...little green
backing players...waaaaaaaaaaay green (more than I made at a square job for a few years - easy action)
 
SUPERSTAR said:
Or is is, Shouldn't this be, "Or is it"? I'm sure your the greatest player ever. (<-----this is a period, a common punctuation mark) Good for you.

You need to brush up on your keyboard skills. That way when you throw out an insult, it actually sounds like an insult, and not some reject dyslexic type of sentence.
I would think that you would triple check your posts before you start talking about someone's keyboarding skills. I mean, really.

SUPERSTAR said:
YOUR RIGHT! Did you mean to his right? Or did you mean to say "YOU'RE RIGHT!"? That apostrophe makes a big difference. You should brush up on your English language concepts.

Like they don't mind losing a couple of times, just as long as it gives them something to talk about and makes them look like serious gamblers. It's only when they start to look like mac machines with everyone making a withdraw I believe the word you were looking for was withdrawAL, that would make a lot more sense., that they don't feel like smack talking gamblers anymore.

SUPERSTAR said:
And?!
So, which one was it?

Surely you want your insult to come shining through, right?

I have no problems with your thread topic or the questions raised, but let's attack the issues, not the way someone posts. I could continue with just about everyone who posts on here, including myself from time to time, but that's just stupid. You understood what he was saying, just go with that.

Now back on topic. IF you were a backer and were in complete control with say a short stop player, not a pro... What percentage would you get in a win, vs the 50/50 line? I'd like to hear the different opinions. You would be booking the entire loss if it is, indeed, a loss. (100/0)
 
shakes said:
Now back on topic. IF you were a backer and were in complete control with say a short stop player, not a pro... What percentage would you get in a win, vs the 50/50 line? I'd like to hear the different opinions. You would be booking the entire loss if it is, indeed, a loss. (100/0)

Depends on the situation. You could offer any split from 50% on down. Most often I base it on my familiarity with the player and how hard the game is. If it's an easy game, we are stealing, we split 50/50 after costs. If we don't win much I usually take costs and give all profit to player for doing the work.

If I don't know the player or the games is very close, I'm not giving up more than 35%. As you said, I am risking 100%
 
Vinnie said:
Slightly off topic, but I am just wondering why nobody is questioning the character of the pool player that is doing the abusing. Personally, I could never do that to another person no matter how much they are asking for it.

Actually, the pool players in question, are notorious for being ruthless users.
That is a constant.

But no one is going to question the pool players ability. That is a given, but their ethics are an altogether different story.

BUT, since you addressed it, i think that the majority of people KNOW that pool players can be ruthless given the crappy lifestyle. It doesn't phase the observers. Especially with information these days. It's all too common to see where such and such pool player shafted such and such. People don't even pay attention to it anymore.
 
I know former backers that will never back again.

They will only take a piece of the bet. With the player putting up a piece.

Which IMO, is the best proposition for them.

They can never have all the risk, and they get 100% on their investment if they win.
 
In the poker world, there is something called a "make up", meaning if you stake a player and he loses, he has to make up for the loss on his next win. You then share what is left over, and that may be 50-50 or more typically 60-40 or even 67-33. Only the very best poker players can get a 50-50 split.

You would be surprised how many "famous" players are playing for a third or less!
 
  • Like
Reactions: JAM
jay helfert said:
In the poker world, there is something called a "make up", meaning if you stake a player and he loses, he has to make up for the loss on his next win. You then share what is left over, and that may be 50-50 or more typically 60-40 or even 67-33. Only the very best poker players can get a 50-50 split.

You would be surprised how many "famous" players are playing for a third or less!

On a similar note, the same is true with boxing purses. Some folks may think the boxer champions are making multi-million-dollar monies, but when it's all cut up with the agent, backer, cut man, Don King, et cetera, the boxer himself sometimes gets a very minute percentage.

JAM
 
jay helfert said:
In the poker world, there is something called a "make up", meaning if you stake a player and he loses, he has to make up for the loss on his next win. You then share what is left over, and that may be 50-50 or more typically 60-40 or even 67-33. Only the very best poker players can get a 50-50 split.

You would be surprised how many "famous" players are playing for a third or less!

I have seen two attempts at this done by backers for pool players.

Problem in each case was, they started off losing and when they finally booked a winner, the player got squat and got so pissed that the next opportunity, they made a deal with their opponent and cut the backer up so they could get paid.
 
Back
Top