Background noise when you play?

What kind of background noise suits you best when playing the game you love?

• No Music (Just the sound of balls clicking)

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Blues (From old school to electric)

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd,...)

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • Classical (Instrumental, but not that elevator stuff)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Country (From old school to new)

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Current Music (Mix of whatever is new out there)

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Hard Rock (From Motley Crue/Whitesnake to Metalica/Saliva styles)

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Oldies (50's, 60's and 70's)

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Talk Radio (From the conservative stuff to the shock jocks)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Other (specify if you want...I could only list 10)

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
So what kind of background noise do you like best iwhen you play/practice, if any? I put up as many as I could until I ran out of options.

Please choose all that you like.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Blues, hands down!!! I have about 400 CD's in my shelf, 350 of them are Blues CD's. I also dig Classic Rock and Hard Rock. When I shoot at home, I always have the XM radio on the Bluesville station.
I also shoot at home about 1/3rd of the time with no music on. I like to be prepared for any conditions I might run into whenever I get to the bar/hall.

Maniac

Donovan

Silver Member
Room Owners may care...

The problem with choosing more than one with the polls is that the percentages will be skewed, but I think this should turn out to be an interesting thing? This maybe particularly interesting to Pool Room Owners.

I like having the Jukebox there if I want to play something in particular, but I won't frequent a place that has it dead quiet between paying customers at a jukebox. It just changes the comfort zone and atmosphere too drastically for me. Of course, this is just my opinion.

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything except headbanger stuff, it gives me a headache!

I seem to always shoot well when the country song that begins with "Turn it up some" comes on. I can't think of the name right now but I have heard it 100 times and it has a good beat.

gpeezy

for sale!
i like country,hard rock,classical rock, and hell a little rap never made me play any worse.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Donovan said:
The problem with choosing more than one with the polls is that the percentages will be skewed, but I think this should turn out to be an interesting thing? This maybe particularly interesting to Pool Room Owners.

I like having the Jukebox there if I want to play something in particular, but I won't frequent a place that has it dead quiet between paying customers at a jukebox. It just changes the comfort zone and atmosphere too drastically for me. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Dude, I ONLY voted Blues!!!

I like the jukebox playing too whenever I shoot. Problem is, the bar I most frequent has a bunch of tight-a$$es that won't let go of a few dollars here and there to play some tunes. I get tired of being the only one (sometimes) putting my bread into the box! Another problem is the owner puts her money in there sometimes and plays "elevator" music. Damn, it's hard to get into a shooting groove listening to Dinah Shore or Barbara Striesand tryin' to put me to sleep!!!

Maniac

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Donovan said:

I just realized that I liked listening to the OLDIES music this weekend at Starcade Billiards in Fort Walton Beach Florida. They had dozens of CD's and the volume was not really loud but there if you wanted to pay attention.
JoeyA

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I voted for current music, but as long as it's not death-metal or something and the volume is normal it's ok by me. When I'm playing I don't notice it anyway. I do prefer it to no-music, whenever somebody starts having a conversation near me, it's nice if the music drowns it out.

gr. Dave

Donovan

Silver Member
Hind sight is always 20/20...I forgot about Jazz and Rap! SORRY EVERYONE! With only 10 choices aloud, it was tough to narrow this down. Now after seeing some early results, maybe they should have been in there instead of Talk Radio and Classical, but heck until you do a poll, how could you know? :)

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I love jazz, bebop type, most anytime.. anywhere.. any conditons but I really prefer no music w/my pool.

Perhaps it was a Freudian slip in the title of the thread... but background "noise" says it for me.

It's all noise unless it's just the sounds of pool being played. I do get a big grin when, from the depths of the room, the familiar cry "F**k!!!!!!!!!" is heard... or in the case of extreme exasperation the ultimate cry... "f**k the f**king f**k!!!!!!!!!" :D

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
BillyKoda said:
I seem to always shoot well when the country song that begins with "Turn it up some" comes on. I can't think of the name right now but I have heard it 100 times and it has a good beat.

BK,
Are you sure it's not "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd???? It definitely starts that way; but most would call it southern rock rather than country. DEFINITELY a kick-a$$ pool-playing song.

TimFXF

A Wouldbe Hasbeen
Silver Member
Don't be so quick to pull the plug on classical.:D

My favorite times are shooting late at night with Mozart playing in the background. I fully realize that I am (and always will be) in the minority with this - Have been for 50 years!

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
Oh crap, I missed the blues option! Jonny Lang, "Rack 'em Up"!!!!!!!!

Sound track to TCOM.

Pink Floyd: Echoes (Always played that on the internet jukebox. Like to get my money's worth, and I love Floyd.)

Lately I hear Korean music. I don't have any idea what they're saying, but I'm gaining the ability to sing along just because I hear so much of it. No jukeboxes in Korea, so they always play the same set of songs every day. One day they played a bunch of Awerican music. I heard sk8r boi literally 20 times (due in part to what some [no one on this forum] would call an excessive number of consecutive hours spent in the poolhall). If I never hear it again, it'll be too soon. I just let it back into my head... I haven't heard the relative silence of just balls clacking in too long. I miss that.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny Cash or Hank Williams. Big Hank that is, not little Hank. And the louder the better.

8BallJunkie

Registered
BK, I believe you are referring to "Honky tonk badonkadonk". I only know that cause I also have heard it 100 times in some redneck hole while shooting pool. Me I like it loud and obnoxious...slipknot, saliva, disturbed, godsmack......that way I can zone out, concentrate on the table with no distractions.
This works good for APA....I hate when someone on the team waste my timeout on something stupid.....this way they have to really yell and scream.