Bad Advise and the People Giving It

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I surf around alot and I am always amazed at the number of sites handing out advise to people.

Why do some people want to set themselves up as the "expert". This applies to a lot of things in life, I own a Rottweiler forum and one of the main reasons I started it was to give a place where people can come and receive advise and tips from a "shared" experience. Reading the wrong book or listening to the wrong person when it comes to owning/training a Rottweiler can have very bad consequences.

Taking bad advise from someone about pool will not kill you or hurt you physically but it still drives me nuts to see it.

Case in point......

Here is a question/answer from a site where a guy has set himself up as the world's greatest authority on billiard techniques

Question: I am a beginner, should I buy a new predator cue with the Z shaft and install a Morri?

Answer: NO, DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO PLAY WITH PRO EQUIPMENT. Use a house cue with an elk master tip. When you can run 3 balls buy a beginner cue between $100 and $200, 13mm with a lePro tip. When you become a Apa 4 in the leagues then move up to a $300 cue, sell the old one and make the shaft 12.5mm with a triangle tip. When you become a strong 5 or apa 6 get a pro line cue and a Talisman or Morri S pig skinned layered tip, have your shaft sanded down to 12.00mm. When you go to the next level and begin playing better, move up to the talisman M and sand your shaft down to 11.5mm. My advice is take baby steps, move slowly from one level of equipment to another as your skill and handling of the cue increases.
 
on a forum, when one throws out questions to the public, he will get bad advice. actually, even real "pros" can give out bad advice, as they tend to be dogmatic, and just how valid is advice when you don't even know to whom you're giving it.

the poster has to realize this and have enough self awareness to weed out the crud. but most people are too lazy to educate themselves.
 
That's funny but sad at the same time. I see a lot of "expert" and "know-it-all" comments when cruising around here and, being in the billiards business, have to shake my head at a lot of what I read.
 
the one thing I learned . . .

The one thing I found that held true for all forms of competition I tried is that it is a hell of a lot easier to learn using good equipment. I could agree with starting with a good house cue. Moving from there to a good sneaky or whatever your pocketbook and inclination allows. Hampering yourself with equipment is plain silly.

Hu



Jeff said:
I surf around alot and I am always amazed at the number of sites handing out advise to people.

Why do some people want to set themselves up as the "expert". This applies to a lot of things in life, I own a Rottweiler forum and one of the main reasons I started it was to give a place where people can come and receive advise and tips from a "shared" experience. Reading the wrong book or listening to the wrong person when it comes to owning/training a Rottweiler can have very bad consequences.

Taking bad advise from someone about pool will not kill you or hurt you physically but it still drives me nuts to see it.

Case in point......

Here is a question/answer from a site where a guy has set himself up as the world's greatest authority on billiard techniques

Question: I am a beginner, should I buy a new predator cue with the Z shaft and install a Morri?

Answer: NO, DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO PLAY WITH PRO EQUIPMENT. Use a house cue with an elk master tip. When you can run 3 balls buy a beginner cue between $100 and $200, 13mm with a lePro tip. When you become a Apa 4 in the leagues then move up to a $300 cue, sell the old one and make the shaft 12.5mm with a triangle tip. When you become a strong 5 or apa 6 get a pro line cue and a Talisman or Morri S pig skinned layered tip, have your shaft sanded down to 12.00mm. When you go to the next level and begin playing better, move up to the talisman M and sand your shaft down to 11.5mm. My advice is take baby steps, move slowly from one level of equipment to another as your skill and handling of the cue increases.
 
some advice is good for some bad for others

I don't think anyone sets out to give bad advice, and it sure is hard to tell, especially with online
advice, the experience level of the person giving the advice.

But I have found situations where some advice, even in books, is great advice for most people, but
bad for others. The first example that comes to mind is where to grip the cue. Most books I have
seen say just behind the balance point. I used to do that for years, and later found that since I am
so tall, I should really be gripping the cue near the end of the butt. Gripping it near the balance
point causes me to be well into my follow through when the cue impacts the cue ball. I found
a similar issue with stance, and I'll omit the details.

Bottom line: I have found it very valuable to obtain advice from as many sources as possible. Do
not discredit a particular piece of advice if it deviates from the norm. Try it for yourself, and give
it an adequate chance before dismissing it. I would not "try" advice like purchasing certain
equipment though! (Unless you are very rich)
 
Jeff said:
Here is a question/answer from a site where a guy has set himself up as the world's greatest authority on billiard techniques

Oh, PLEASE share. What site is this? :D
 
Jeff said:
...Case in point......
Question: I am a beginner, should I buy a new predator cue with the Z shaft and install a Moori? ...
In pool as in all other activities, it's up to the interested individual to figure out what's wheat and what's chaff. There's a lot of chaff out there. In the particular case cited, it would have been better to tell the beginner that while that equipment wouldn't hurt the learning process, he should try to understand how that cue and tip differ from other choices. One way to get that understanding is to try a variety of cues, but the beginner has to have some idea of what differences between cues are important.
 
ScottW said:
Oh, PLEASE share. What site is this? :D

Well, I won't give the site as I don't want to contribute to his viewership.

But the guy giving the advise was the notorious Fast Larry.......:D :D
 
whitey2 said:
Do not discredit a particular piece of advice if it deviates from the norm.
I'd think it depends on how far it deviates. In Jeffs' post part of the "answer" stated to ultimately sand the shaft down to 11.5 mm. Kind of ridiculous IMO for a good player let alone a newbie. I hope that wherever Jeff found that thread that someone shot holes in the "answer".
 
Here is some:

good advice - buy a $3 dictionary to keep beside your PC, and check your spelling, especially for titles of threads if you want to be taken seriously.
 
Snapshot9 said:
good advice - buy a $3 dictionary to keep beside your PC, and check your spelling, especially for titles of threads if you want to be taken seriously.


Maybe you should follow your own "advise"

ad·vise /ædˈvaɪz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ad-vahyz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -vised, -vis·ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following: I advise you to be cautious.
2. to recommend as desirable, wise, prudent, etc.: He advised secrecy.
3. to give (a person, group, etc.) information or notice (often fol. by of): The investors were advised of the risk. They advised him that this was their final notice.
–verb (used without object)
4. to take counsel; consult (usually fol. by with): I shall advise with my friends.
 
better advice

Snapshot9 said:
good advice - buy a $3 dictionary to keep beside your PC, and check your spelling, especially for titles of threads if you want to be taken seriously.


Here is better advice!:D

Save the link below in favorites and go there to check when the e-mail spell checker can't handle a word. Cut and paste the title into the text you are spell checking if you aren't sure of the spelling in the title.

There is also a spell checker in the top right corner of the reply window if you set it up.

This is the electronic age. My hard copy dictionaries are rarely drug out anymore. ;) :D ;)

Hu

http://dictionary.reference.com/
 
Jeff said:
I surf around alot and I am always amazed at the number of sites handing out advise to people.

Why do some people want to set themselves up as the "expert". This applies to a lot of things in life, I own a Rottweiler forum and one of the main reasons I started it was to give a place where people can come and receive advise and tips from a "shared" experience. Reading the wrong book or listening to the wrong person when it comes to owning/training a Rottweiler can have very bad consequences.

Taking bad advise from someone about pool will not kill you or hurt you physically but it still drives me nuts to see it.

Case in point......

Here is a question/answer from a site where a guy has set himself up as the world's greatest authority on billiard techniques

Question: I am a beginner, should I buy a new predator cue with the Z shaft and install a Morri?

Answer: NO, DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO PLAY WITH PRO EQUIPMENT. Use a house cue with an elk master tip. When you can run 3 balls buy a beginner cue between $100 and $200, 13mm with a lePro tip. When you become a Apa 4 in the leagues then move up to a $300 cue, sell the old one and make the shaft 12.5mm with a triangle tip. When you become a strong 5 or apa 6 get a pro line cue and a Talisman or Morri S pig skinned layered tip, have your shaft sanded down to 12.00mm. When you go to the next level and begin playing better, move up to the talisman M and sand your shaft down to 11.5mm. My advice is take baby steps, move slowly from one level of equipment to another as your skill and handling of the cue increases.

PM Fast Larry so that you can have an in depth discussion that may be enlighteing on this very subject.:rolleyes:

Like anything else, take this info. you read here tongue in cheek, keep your B.S. detector on, and you'll be fine.

Some people like to try to help but don't have any expereice, some have experience, but can't come across in a way that some can understand, and rarely you find that gem who has both, maybe like Dave "Blackjack" who posts here who is willing to help, has great knowledge and experience, and backs it up with with his game.
 
Jeff said:
Well, I won't give the site as I don't want to contribute to his viewership.

But the guy giving the advise was the notorious Fast Larry.......:D :D

I SWEAR TO GOD - I had a feeling it was him when I posted my reply in the first place. Honest. Scout's honor and all that rot.
 
Add Vice an Con scent

Please you meen I can't believe everything eye reed on the internet? Oppinions r lik a--h-les, everybody has one.
 
ScottW said:
I SWEAR TO GOD - I had a feeling it was him when I posted my reply in the first place. Honest. Scout's honor and all that rot.

I was wondering if anyone would guess who it was before I said it.
 
Jeff said:
I was wondering if anyone would guess who it was before I said it.

Go me!

I'm probably one of the few people on here who's ever dealt with that guy in the... er... flesh. Played in the same league about 15 yrs ago when I was a complete banger.
 
yes, I agree

Dartman said:
I'd think it depends on how far it deviates. In Jeffs' post part of the "answer" stated to ultimately sand the shaft down to 11.5 mm. Kind of ridiculous IMO for a good player let alone a newbie. I hope that wherever Jeff found that thread that someone shot holes in the "answer".

YES, I agree. I should have elaborated on my comment about not discrediting advice that deviates
from the norm. I was really referring to advice on the mechanics of the game, since that is what I
mainly focus on. I tend to forget that a lot of folks seek out advice on equipment, and other stuff
as well.

I mainly made that comment, since I had so much success trying a stance change that differed
from everything else I had ever read. It was on an instructional tape I borrowed (by a champion
pro), and at first it seemed so "different" I was skeptical. I had seen a couple of great players stand
that way, and at the time I thought to myself that they were "wrong" and would probably perform
better in a "normal" stance.

It seems that there are many differences in what some folks consider proper form, for example
"the dropping of the elbow". I better stop there, as I suspect there are other threads where this has
been debated.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top