"Bad Rolls" How do you handle them?

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
Smile....helps me stay positive like efren does he gets a bad roll or misses a shot he knew he should have made and he laughs instead of getting pissed leading to more missed shots.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I b*tch about it like an immature baby.

Fred <~~~ just like lots of people

I'll go one step further, I sometimes offer to fight my opponent if the rolls are going REALLY bad....:D ;)

Seriously, I try to subscribe to the Nick Varner mentality...If my opponent misses and leaves me hooked, then A: At least he didn't run out and I'm at the table, and B: I have the chance to make a great kick shot here...I can sh*t something in, I can safe him back, I can leave a shot with no angle to get to the next ball, I can leave a shot so difficult he just CAN'T make it...Or I can sell out and lose. But, there are a lot of good things that can happen on every shot of this type, it's best to just line up your kick, and make something happen...

Every opportunity at the table is an opportunity to win.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Lay on the ground kicking in the air with clenched fists; screaming at the closest railbird claiming it is all his fault then go to the business owner and complain about the cloth and then to the weather man to complain about the humidity. This is the most rational way to handle the situation.

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
Ill tell you how I try to deal with rolls....
If I dont get mad when I get a good roll I dont complain about a bad roll

In 99% of all matches there are ups and downs and if you complain about rolls you may not be prepared when the rolls come your way, I try to stay focused and ready for my chance

n33njah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol

I just try to keep it in my head, and when the rolls aren't going in my favor, i just kind of zone out and think about how luck eventually runs out. I've always been a subscriber to the theory that luck is nothing more than a fallback for a mistake that turned out good [ or bad as the case may be.] Just try to keep your game going, and remember. Every time they get lucky and you have to kick, jump, stab, or do something wild at the table to make legal contact. You are adding to your pool knowledge.

If it's non stop? I b**ch up like everyone else :thumbup:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad rolls happen to the best and worst of us. It's just part of the game.

People that get all bent out of shape because of bad rolls have mental issues.

It's just a game.

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
Missed shot, bad roll, playing with fever, playing with physical pain or mental anguish?

Irving Crane once gave me the maxim for a lifetime - "Never show weakness to an opponent." In other words, no matter how things are going, stay composed and never let your opponent sense that you are agitated over something. Opponents, Irving contended, will feed off any weakness you show them.

Dealing with the inevitable ebbs and flows in the game is somethng you can only learn from experience. Like every other part of the game, practice makes perfect, so practice staying composed.

Great advice. Thanks for sharing.

I try to achieve the above by:

- minimizing talking while I'm playing and accepting what I'm given as a challenge (especially the easy shots)

- thinking only about the shot I'm given (hey like others said, you're still at the table and have a chance because your opponent didn't run out)

- telling myself both when it's my turn and when it's not that the only thing that's important is the next time I hit the cueball and to never give up

- exploiting any weakness shown by my opponent

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm more concerned about handling ME than handling something I have NO control over....on second thought, maybe I'll go outside and change the weather.............:)

Last edited:

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look at a bad roll, after my opponent misses, as not the worst thing in the world, at least my opponent missed. If they missed a shot they could easily made, I'm getting to the table when I should still be sitting down. If I can turn the table and play a good safe or kick and leave him or her a touch shot or safety, my opponent has to be a little annoyed at themselves by now.

If one miss happens, another is sure to follow.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
You know the nightmare scenario whereby your opponent's missed shot means an unintentional safe for you...and sometimes your missed shot equates to a beautiful setup for them, almost bordering on a BIH situation?

How do you handle these?

I know of players that get crazy when this happens at least two or three times in a match. Then they start complaining, over and over about it. Magically though, when they get such a roll in their favor they never seem to mind!

I have seen/heard many an argument regarding these types of rolls, which almost always devolve into a bickering match, and sometimes may even run the risk of coming to blows!

Then there are those players who like to look around at the spectators and give a smirk or grin or whatever when they receive an unfavorable roll from their opponent...like it never happens to them!

Anyway, just wondering how some of you handle these. How do you process them and get past them mentally?

I've seen all the above, too. Amazing, huh?

I have learned not to take the roll personal.

Also, I try and look on the bright side - at least I am at the table. It did take me a long time to not let rolls bother me (some still do), but I know that if I accept them as part of the game, then that ensures it does NOT affect me when I do get back to the table.

Last edited:

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know the nightmare scenario whereby your opponent's missed shot means an unintentional safe for you...and sometimes your missed shot equates to a beautiful setup for them, almost bordering on a BIH situation?

How do you handle these?

I know of players that get crazy when this happens at least two or three times in a match. Then they start complaining, over and over about it. Magically though, when they get such a roll in their favor they never seem to mind!

I have seen/heard many an argument regarding these types of rolls, which almost always devolve into a bickering match, and sometimes may even run the risk of coming to blows!

Then there are those players who like to look around at the spectators and give a smirk or grin or whatever when they receive an unfavorable roll from their opponent...like it never happens to them!

Anyway, just wondering how some of you handle these. How do you process them and get past them mentally?

There is really nothing to handle. It happens and no matter how disgusted some get it won't change a thing. Well, correction -- let it bother you and your a looser for sure -- or let it go and make a game of it. Besides everyone gets rolls including you. Its just at the time it may not seem that way and it may not be but as I said --

Rod

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the best way to deal with bad rolls

I look at it like this:

Everyone has bad rolls at times. If I handle the bad rolls that I get better than my opponent handles the bad rolls that they get, that gives me an edge. If there were no bad rolls that would take away one of the edges that I have over my competition. BE THANKFUL FOR BAD ROLLS! That is the key!

So when I get a bad roll I think "gosh, I'm glad that there are bad rolls in pool! Now is my chance to gain an edge by handling this better than he will when he gets a bad roll".

A poker player said "In poker there is skill and there is luck. One of the skills is dealing with the luck." I think that this is equally applicable to nineball.

Thoughts?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was playing in tournaments once or twice a week, I got in the habit of just trying to ignore them. One of the things I learned about concentration and focus was, if something kept coming into my mind, just to quietly clear my head of it and get on with the shot at hand. I've *****ed about rolls in the past, most of us have at one time or another. I slowly acquired a reputation for pretty much playing quietly, no matter what, not saying much at all.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

How do you handle these?

There aren't any bad rolls:grin: Just opportunities, and when you find yourself in a situation that is difficult, that will be the time to be very creative.:wink:

3Bros Billiards

Registered
I think the best mentality to have is that you should make your own luck. One good roll for your opponent shouldn't be enough to make you lose if you are playing better than them.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
How do you deal with opponents that constantly ***** about rolls?

I have a couple guys that love to call out to me "You're the luckiest white boy in America"! Of course they discount their share of good rolls, but boy can they ***** about their bad rolls.

I need some good lines to help shut them the hell up. It gets old hearing it every stinkin' rack! I know I need to get mentally stronger so I don't sink to that level or put negative thoughts in my head, but additionally...

Help, I need some good lines!

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

I have a couple guys that love to call out to me "You're the luckiest white boy in America"!
I need some good lines to help shut them the hell up. It gets old hearing it every stinkin' rack! I know I need to get mentally stronger so I don't sink to that level or put negative thoughts in my head, but additionally...

"Your wife told me the same thing last night.":D

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member

I have a couple guys that love to call out to me "You're the luckiest white boy in America"! Of course they discount their share of good rolls, but boy can they ***** about their bad rolls.

I like to play off my good rolls like I meant to do go six rails, carom off two balls, and sh*t in the 9. I usually say something like "Well, I thought the CB was going in that direction...", or "Isn't that what you would have done?"

If they complain, the classic, "I don't need to be lucky to beat YOU, but it sure helps" is a good choice. :D