Balabushka on Ebay

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I don't know why sellers always feel they have to be dishonest to get something sold.

Always certainly is a lot of the time isn't it? Could you tell me how the seller of the cue this thread is regarding is being dishonest?

Thanks

Kevin

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious what this cue would be realistically worth had Newman not mentioned it by name in the movie???

vince-color-of-money-preening-cap-2.jpg

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Its all good

Did you see the other Balabuska somebody linked that is $21k? It is arguably nicer than the $70k cue. If you want rare why not buy from the person who isn't trying to rape you?

If you look at both cues you will clearly see which cue has been getting all the hype and attention, I assure you it is not cue # 2, with good reason why.
I agree the other cue is very nice and if you prefer that cue to this one that is fine.
Right now this cue is like finding the Holy Grail or close to it.
Rape is a harsh word, it's not in a collectors vocabulary.

Search for Haskell Minnow Fishing Lure...Sold $ 100 K
Everything is what it is worth to the buyer.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
If you look at both cues you will clearly see which cue has been getting all the hype and attention, I assure you it is not cue # 2, with good reason why.
I agree the other cue is very nice and if you prefer that cue to this one that is fine.
Right now this cue is like finding the Holy Grail or close to it.
Rape is a harsh word, it's not in a collectors vocabulary.

Search for Haskell Minnow Fishing Lure...Sold $ 100 K
Everything is what it is worth to the buyer.

The 2nd cue is pretty interesting too. That ivory joint is triple rare on a Bushka. Its really 2 rare birds of the Balabushka family available at the same time.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I love em

The 2nd cue is pretty interesting too. That ivory joint is triple rare on a Bushka. Its really 2 rare birds of the Balabushka family available at the same time.

It's great to see these cues popping up, just beautiful.
I know of at least 10 more just sitting in closets that may get thrown out in the trash in the near future.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I know of at least 10 more just sitting in closets that may get thrown out in the trash in the near future.

I've got 2 sitting in mine but I don't think they'll be seeing the trash anytime soon.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wrong post deleted

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious what this cue would be realistically worth had Newman not mentioned it by name in the movie???

View attachment 312675

I actually have an answer for you. A lot less but not just because of the mention but because of the movie in general. Along with a lot of new pool rooms opening the new resurgence spawned a collectors market that didn't used to be there. I will give you an example. The movie came out I think 1987.

In 1984 I bought a Balabushka for $500.00. This was not some steal I happened across, it was in the rack for sale at CM Lees pool room in Florida. In fact it had been hanging there for sale for some time with no takers. CM who is no dummy had no interest in buying it himself.

That gives you an idea what the market was before the COM. Around 1992 I sold it at the BCA show for $5000.00 a good price at the time. Today the cue would be worth three or four time that amount. It was a nice one with a Szamboti blank with the rings in the butt and MOP diamonds in the butt and points.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not many sitting around in closets anymore I would not think. The last one I came across was an old guy came into the pool room and got a table. He had a cheap box case but out comes what looked like a Balabushka. I went right over and wanted to see the cue and sure enough it was the real thing. We started talking and he was a retired cop from NY. He got the cue from Balabushka who he knew from his beat for like $80.00.

He had no idea of the value of the cue was and had not taken it to a pool room in many years. I gave him my number and told him if he wanted to sell it let me know but in the mean time don't be bringing it out in public anymore it is not safe. A few months later he gives me a call and I hook him up with a guy and get him a very good price for the cue. It is very rare to come across those cues like I did that one any more. Although I am sure they are still out there.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Not many sitting around in closets anymore I would not think. The last one I came across was an old guy came into the pool room and got a table. He had a cheap box case but out comes what looked like a Balabushka. I went right over and wanted to see the cue and sure enough it was the real thing. We started talking and he was a retired cop from NY. He got the cue from Balabushka who he knew from his beat for like $80.00.

He had no idea of the value of the cue was and had not taken it to a pool room in many years. I gave him my number and told him if he wanted to sell it let me know but in the mean time don't be bringing it out in public anymore it is not safe. A few months later he gives me a call and I hook him up with a guy and get him a very good price for the cue. It is very rare to come across those cues like I did that one any more. Although I am sure they are still out there.

I think George's beat cop was Tascarella.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I assure you it is not cue # 2, with good reason why.

So, please tell me the reasons you think that personally? Disregarding the "hype and attention".

For #2 it would be the fact it is in almost un-played condition (I would verify that if I was a buyer for it in person, but for this example we will trust it), it was delivered only a month before George died (so one of George's most modern cues), it has a light birdseye Szamboti forearm, it has a very rare Ivory joint, it has pretty much unplayed full 13mm shafts with original ferrules and tips (which is about as rare as the ivory joint really).

Both cues are special, actually all of George's cues are special. But would like to know why you think so.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Purchase Mechanics

Suppose you were actually interested in buying either of these two wonderful cues. Let's assume you called the seller and agreed upon a price. How would you handle the mechanics of buying such a high priced object long distance? Specifically:

- How would you conduct an independent verification by either Tascarella or another authority? -both to verify it's authenticity as well as its condition. I know there is a COA, but I assume you would want to make sure the cue you're buying is the same cue.

- How would you handle the transfer of funds? I'm assuming you would want to escrow the funds. If so, who would you escrow the funds through? For an amount this large, would you trust Paypal or would you want to retain a law firm to set up the escrow account? Or, is there some other option?

- How would you transport the cue? Would you trust insured FedEx, UPS, or USPS? Some of you have mentioned flying out to pick it up, but would you actually dare to check this cue and trust T.S.A. and the airlines?

Here is one possible scenario:

- Retain a law firm to set up an escrow account
- Create a bill of sale that stipulates independent verification of cue by Tascarella prior to funds being released to the seller.
- Have seller ship cue via insured FedEx directly to Tascarella
- Upon receipt of written confirmation by Tascarella have escrow firm request a) cue to be shipped insured FedEx to Buyer and b) release of funds to Seller.

I think this would work, but I would guess that the delivery insurance and escrow fees would probably add up to about 4-5% of the purchase price and I'm not sure how many sellers would go for this.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there an easier way to do this? Am I over thinking it? As a seller, would you go through this process to make a sale?

I would appreciate any suggestions, advice, or guidance especially from those experienced in such transactions.

thanks,

BJT

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Short of the cue being in Pete's hands a second time would be about the only way that I would release the funds.

Fed Ex might be a little safer than trying to transport it on the plane if you were to personally over see the transaction, which might be a good idea as well if you're talking that much money.

At at way, I would ensure that the cue was insured to the max for transport. If you have that much money to be purchasing cues, then driving the cue back home would give you the best piece of mind. It would not leave your side.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
We all know that the Hustler featured Rambow cues, how much are they worth? Are they worth it because they were in the hustler? Or are they worth more because Balabushka was mentioned in the color of Money?

Think about it really hard....

Pool and cues took a huge kick in the tail from TCOM, low real estate rental prices, and a lot of disposable income. Balabushkas were the collected cue on the east coast and after he died and Gus was the prevalent maker, most Bushka's hit the closets. In 1983 my uncle purchased a Gus, for 375 and sold it for 900 immediately after he decided it wasn't for him, and he had at least 10 people wanting the cue.

Are 1971 Cuda convertibles more sought after because of Nash Bridges, no, they are super rare and were super rare BEFORE Nash Bridges...

JV

View attachment 312675