Balabushka on Ebay

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Thank you for looking at this amazing item. I am selling it on behalf of the owner...."

Who, for some reason, does not know about ebay apparently.
Just something to think about. If it does sell, how are you going to arrange payment? There could be a tax problem. I was told that selling a collectable the tax (CGT) could be as much as 28%. I know it sounds crazy but you have to think ahead to keep yourself out of trouble. I don't know if ebay reports, but I know paypal does over a certain amount. Either way, it is not even your cue so stay out of any dealing with the money yourself.

I really hope if some of the brokers on here who sell high end cue will chime in. I have two high end cues (Balabushkas) I was thinking of putting on the market this year. That is why I have been doing some reading on the subject. When I saw that 28% thing I got a little sick. I am a good loyal American but hay, I honestly don't want to have to pay if I can get around it.

I am getting old and have no kids. I have no interest in hanging on to a bunch of stuff and that includes property, art works etc. that I don't need. I am tired of thinking about it anymore. What relatives I have would not know what to do with my stuff anyway. I might as well enjoy the money while I can. If someone has advice they are welcome to PM me if it is something they would rather not post publicly.

Last edited:

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a 20k cue tops, I guess if it means more to him because it was his brothers cue he is going to hold onto it for a long time.

Thanks for your input.

But I guess I am still confused WHY he posted it on Ebay.

It isnt hard to sell the cue, and a reasonable price (whatever is reasonable and I dont want to argue that).

But posting it for 4-5 times its worth, WHY ? :rolleyes:

Thanks for input.

Ken

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input.

But I guess I am still confused WHY he posted it on Ebay.

It isnt hard to sell the cue, and a reasonable price (whatever is reasonable and I dont want to argue that).

But posting it for 4-5 times its worth, WHY ? :rolleyes:

Thanks for input.

Ken
Well he might not close the deal on ebay but it certainly gives the widest exposure.

Perhaps there are better avenues but unless you revolve socially around the industry or frequent social media sites like this I doubt the average person would have a clue as to the best avenue to move a highly valuable cue and ebay is a logical choice for reaching mass amounts of people.

To the above poster I don't believe ebay or paypal reports. I don't think he's on the hook for taxes unless an IRS agent goes out of their way to make it an issue however at that dollar amount I just can't say.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well he might not close the deal on ebay but it certainly gives the widest exposure.

Perhaps there are better avenues but unless you revolve socially around the industry or frequent social media sites like this I doubt the average person would have a clue as to the best avenue to move a highly valuable cue and ebay is a logical choice for reaching mass amounts of people.

To the above poster I don't believe ebay or paypal reports. I don't think he's on the hook for taxes unless an IRS agent goes out of their way to make it an issue however at that dollar amount I just can't say.

Yes, paypal does report over a certain amount.
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/...re-paypal-to-report-sales-information/#!rBrLI

They may go out of the way to make it an issue. They are trying to tax on line sales if they can. For most people the $20,000 and 200 sales will never be met. If in fact that income from the cue came to light though, he could be on the hook for a 28% collectable tax. My main point was, he is selling the cue for someone else. He does not want to be connected to the actual sale at all. He should have nothing to do with the actual transaction.

SchuettS

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2011/...re-paypal-to-report-sales-information/#!rBrLI

They may go out of the way to make it an issue. They are trying to tax on line sales if they can. For most people the $20,000 and 200 sales will never be met. If in fact that income from the cue came to light though, he could be on the hook for a 28% collectable tax. My main point was, he is selling the cue for someone else. He does not want to be connected to the actual sale at all. He should have nothing to do with the actual transaction.

Who decides if it is a "collectible" or not? Someone, not a collector, may be wanting to buy this to actually use.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The part that seems to be missed is the note at the bottom for international buyers... You can not ship ivory out of the country.

On another note... Ebay does not allow the sale of ivory any more. lol.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who decides if it is a "collectible" or not? Someone, not a collector, may be wanting to buy this to actually use.
Debate that with the IRS. If you sell something with an extra ordinary value beyond it utility use it may be considered a collectable. It can be hard because you are often dealing with legit people, dealers and brokers who take commissions. There will be a record of the sale.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the info and clarification.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Get your money

If you have an old pair of shoes and Bill Gates wants them, he will pay you the price you ask.
Why? because he wants them and can afford to.
Do not get low balled, unless you need the money desperately, hold onto the cue and get what it's worth.
You have a rare Balabushka, A Stradivarius Violin, Babe Ruths Bat.
I was looking at a Rare 1960 Fender Stratocaster , asking price is 60K, when asked if 50K is a reasonable offer the answer was yes it is.
But I will take 60K today and thats a bargain.
You want rare you pay for rare

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have an old pair of shoes and Bill Gates wants them, he will pay you the price you ask.
Why? because he wants them and can afford to.
Do not get low balled, unless you need the money desperately, hold onto the cue and get what it's worth.
You have a rare Balabushka, A Stradivarius Violin, Babe Ruths Bat.
I was looking at a Rare 1960 Fender Stratocaster , asking price is 60K, when asked if 50K is a reasonable offer the answer was yes it is.
But I will take 60K today and thats a bargain.
You want rare you pay for rare

Did you see the other Balabuska somebody linked that is $21k? It is arguably nicer than the $70k cue. If you want rare why not buy from the person who isn't trying to rape you?

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
LOL both shafts are pretty discolored for a total of 8 hours of play :rolleyes: I don't know why sellers always feel they have to be dishonest to get something sold. I would think it would have the exact opposite effect.

Wow you have really good eye sight. I cannot see chalk stains in those pictures. All I see is a clear coat on the bottom of the shaft and a different color to the wood where it has been exposed.

Also, the letter says the tips are original, and if they are, the cue has seen very very little play.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Did you see the other Balabuska somebody linked that is $21k? It is arguably nicer than the $70k cue. If you want rare why not buy from the person who isn't trying to rape you?

The linked bushka is not 21K. Its an auction with an undisclosed reserve price where the opening bid is 21K. The seller's reserve could be anything (even some amount over 70K).

If you know the 70K is rape for the cue this thread is actually about, you must know what is fair and I'm wondering as rare as this cue is, just what that amount might be?

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited: