Bar Box 10:1 Continuous Rotation

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I was driving to Baltimore yesterday and sitting in rush hour traffic when I began thinking about 14:1 and the limitations a bar box puts on this great game. It occurred to me that a shorter rack might help make the game more playable on a bar box. That led me to think about rotation type games and combining the 2 to make a challenging fast paced bar box game.

I'd like your opinions...

10 balls are racked, 1 ball at the head and 10 in the center, and broken. The 1 must be hit first. Balls dropped on the break stay down and count. The remaining balls must be shot in rotation, until the 10 ball remains. The other 9 balls are reracked in the diamond 9 ball pattern with the 1 at the head ball and the 9 in the center. The shooter pockets the break ball and continues shooting the remaining balls in rotation.

After the opening break, where whatever falls counts, balls are pocketed in rotation and must be pocketed in the called pocket. Any ball pocketed in conjunction with the called ball stays down and counts. Any slopped in balls are spotted. At the end of the rack the 9 balls are reracked with the highest number ball in the center and the 1 at the head. Play continues until the shooter misses.

Fouls occur if the lowest number ball is not struck first, or a scratch occurs. The incoming player has the option to play it where it lays or turn the table back over to the player who fouled. On a scratch the incoming player has ball in hand behind the headstring and may pass the shot to the fouling player if they so choose. 3 consecutive fouls results in a full 10 baqll rerack and a 15 point penalty. Incoming player breaks as if it is the opening rack and all balls pocketed on the break count.

Each ball counts 1 point and race can be determined by the players 50 100 etc...

Opinions? Comments?

:cool:

Birdseye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What were your issues in actual practice?
I thought it sounded like an interesting game, even on a 9' table. Kind of combines elements of nine ball and straight pool.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
What were your issues in actual practice?
I thought it sounded like an interesting game, even on a 9' table. Kind of combines elements of nine ball and straight pool.

Primarily, playing it rotation style it was often very difficult to get on the 1 ball after the break ball is pocketed. Hard to get a run going if the 1 is hidden after the break. I was getting into a foul situation about 50% of the time. I haven't really played around with it too much so maybe it's just a practice thing.

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spotting balls...

My only problem with it is spotting slopped in balls. How are you going to do that on a barbox (that is, one that requires quarters)? I guess the "extra" 5 balls could be used for that, but then you'd have to remember, if shooting in rotation, which ball the added one represented. Not that it would be a major headache, so I guess it could work.

I do like the idea behind it. But I can see where getting on the one ball after the break would be difficult.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Maybe incorporate the "push" rule?

Thought about that, but it seemed odd to me to allow a push in the middle of the run. Incoming player has the option to give it back in the event of a foul. I think I just need to play around with it some more.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
My only problem with it is spotting slopped in balls. How are you going to do that on a barbox (that is, one that requires quarters)? I guess the "extra" 5 balls could be used for that, but then you'd have to remember, if shooting in rotation, which ball the added one represented. Not that it would be a major headache, so I guess it could work.

I do like the idea behind it. But I can see where getting on the one ball after the break would be difficult.

I didn't consider this to be played on a coin op table. Most folks playing in a bar wouldn't know what "straight pool" was. I guess "barbox was the wrong term to use. More like adapting 14:1 to a 7' with the added twist of playing in rotation. I thought that playing htem in rotation would add a level of difficulty to it to compensate for the smaller playing surface.

I guess you could get around it for play on an actual coin op barbox by just declaring slopped balls as dead, like you would in APA style 9 ball when something is pocketed during a foul situation.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
NICE, we just got spammed with smut here on the 14.1 forum when it was supposed to be about 10:1 Continuous Rotation !!!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Now its gone, did the mods do there job ?

Or was i seeing things and posted a spoof reply

there was also a post for the site in the Wanted/for sale forum for it. let me go see if i can find it.

Basement Banger

Registered
I have started playing 9.1 at home on my 7' table. Works nicely. I tried playing with all 15 balls and it was just too many. Too much congestion for a 14.1 novice like me.