Benefits of joining an APA league?

BD23

I just want to play and improve, not interested in "meeting" new friends. Can anyone explain their reasons for joining.

SlateMan

Registered
APA.jpg

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have joined leagues in the past to meet new people in new areas or hang out with a group of friends regularly.
If I want competition, I'll play tournaments.

You can choose to treat it like a practice session to see where your at before the weekend tournaments.

Apa masters could be a good option.

League is what ever you want it to be.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want to play and improve, not interested in "meeting" new friends. Can anyone explain their reasons for joining.

The major benefit, chance to go to the nationals and get drunk in Vegas instead of on league night in Bob's Tavern. APA may not be the best league for improving in. USAPL and BCA is better. Those leagues attract better players that try to win by skill not by using the handicap system. I have not once seen an APA team work as a team to learn to play better, but when I was in USAPL there were always players shooting together working on shots and pattern play. Sure the teams "practice" together by playing racks, but they don't really practice specific shots much or coach each other.

Basically free practice and APA only tournaments would be a benefit also. I hang out with a few APA teams that friends are on and get to shoot on some decent tables with them that are opened up for use on league nights. Luckily for me, two of the places they play in got Diamond tables in the past few months, so it's a pretty enjoyable night of hanging out and shooting at the practice table.

Cuedup

I joined and played when I first started playing. I didn't really care for the format that much or the long waits and late weeknights. It was tough because of my job hours.
But it did expose me to the Masters league, which was played on the weekends. For a while there I was on 3 different masters teams and exposed to a lot of the better local players.

My game improved vastly during that time frame

DeeDeeCues

Leagues are really not about improving.

Focused practice time will advance your skills better and quicker.

Focused competitive sessions (gambling not required, only a desire to win needed) and tourneys will improve your nerves quicker.

Leagues are mostly about fun. Nobody is making money playing in them over the long run. Skills of league-only players quickly plateau.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with @kling&allen. The strong players generally stay away from leagues, especially the APA league which is more casual than the BCA league.

The best players stay in the local pool rooms, and play in the weekly tournaments. That is your best chance to see strong players, compete against them, etc. Plus, you will be playing on a 9' table most likely, with professional cloth. The bar leagues often play in a legit bar, with 1 or 2 little tables that have carpet for cloth and are crooked. If your goal is to get better, you need to spend the time in a pool room, not a bar, and immerse yourself amongst good players.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with @kling&allen. The strong players generally stay away from leagues, especially the APA league which is more cauual than the BCA league.

The best players stay in the local pool rooms, and play in the weekly tournaments. That is your best chance to see strong players, compete against them, etc. Plus, you will be playing on a 9' table most likely, with professional cloth. The bar leagues often play in a legit bar, with 1 or 2 little tables that have carpet for cloth and are crooked. If your goal is to get better, you need to spend the time in a pool room, not a bar, and immerse yourself amongst good players.
I agree, weekly pool room tournaments, handicapped or not, are the best way to go for improvement.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I attempted to play APA again after stopping in 2004. At that time I was an 8 in nine ball and a 6 in eight ball.

Not one team was interested in me because my rank was too high.

So I contacted everyone from the local APA all the way to the national headquarters to have my rank adjusted lower based on age and medical issues. I am now 71and have benign essential tremors in my hands.

They all refused and said I should just join a team and my handicap would be reflected in my results.

Nonetheless no team will take me based on the rank from 2004. I am considering TAP but honestly losing interest in any league at this point and playing less pool all the time now.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enrich the league operator
Contribute to the downfall of real pool
Compete for 5 inch trophies and patches while feeling like a world beater
Become enmeshed with a bunch of other similarly minded individuals
APA isn't for everyone but it does have a place. Not sure that I agree that it is the downfall of real pool. It brings in new blood to our sport and the new players spend money on cues, cases, business in rooms, etc. etc. In which those products the "league" player buys helps sponsor some pro players via the billiard industry. There is a place for everyone. I also think pro pool is in the best position since I've been around. Now as far as players getting better by paying their dues I get that.

Besides the trophy I have from the APA is 6 inches not 5 :)

Last edited:

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Exposing new players to the sport can only be a good thing. I constantly hear people lament how the sport is dying out. Well you can't have it both ways. What's the point of being elite if the player pool shrinks to nothing? New blood means more money to bars, manufacturers and the sport in general. I no longer play APA but I would if my sons decided to put together a team and needed some guidance. I do play with the local APA League operator who is a great guy but we play an in house BCA league. I personally can't handle the length of a match that starts at 7PM but I am getting older and I still have to get up to work.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro
APA isn't for everyone but it does have a place. Not sure that I agree that it is the downfall of real pool. It brings in new blood to our sport and the new players spend money on cues, cases, business in rooms, etc. etc. In which those products the "league" player buys helps sponsor some pro players via the billiard industry. There is a place for everyone. I also think pro pool is in the best position since I've been around. Now as far as players getting better by paying their dues I get that.

Besides the trophy I have from the APA is 6 inches not 5 :)
Pool for US players is in the gutter still...no change.

Same as league mentality, we sold US pro pool for peanuts looking for a quick fix. Now there's a huge influx of foreign talent and we can't field more than 3 that can compete.

How does getting your buddy who never hit a ball or your housewife improve the level of pool in the US? People need to start young and be in an environment that breeds players. The APA and other national leagues are in it for the money.