Best at Identifying a Cue ?

stryper

Since this whole picture thing does not seem really user friendly. Who are the recomended go-to for identification? Posting on FB is lets say interesting?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any identifying markings on the cue? That would be a start without photos. Where did you acquire the cue? Did you get any information from the prior owner? Photos should not be that hard to post here, without them everyone is guessing , unless there are identifying markings on the cue that we know translate to a specific cue maker- that is just a starting point anyhow.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
You're better off posting them on this website. Most of the most reliable no BS guys on FB post here anyway.

The typical FB post goes like this:

Person A: that's an Adams. $250 at most.
Person B: Old Huebler. $75 in this market.
Person C: Balabushka, I think. $25,000. Congrats.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're better off posting them on this website. Most of the most reliable no BS guys on FB post here anyway.

The typical FB post goes like this:

Person A: that's an Adams. $250 at most.
Person B: Old Huebler. $75 in this market.
Person C: Balabushka, I think. $25,000. Congrats.

Plus you know who lives there now after getting ridden out of AZB.

stryper

Trying to contact a Chris Tate or Pete Margo? trying to identify this cue. I'm posting this from laptop but will add the pics from my phone, if I can recall the sequence :)

stryper

this supposedly has some Palmer attributes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-122819_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-122819_Gallery.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Screenshot_20201221-122813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-122813_Gallery.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 220
  • Screenshot_20201221-122803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-122803_Gallery.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Screenshot_20201221-122749_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-122749_Gallery.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 228

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Tate can be contacted here on AZ through his username TATE. His website is PalmerCollector.com

stryper

Are there any identifying markings on the cue? That would be a start without photos. Where did you acquire the cue? Did you get any information from the prior owner? Photos should not be that hard to post here, without them everyone is guessing , unless there are identifying markings on the cue that we know translate to a specific cue maker- that is just a starting point anyhow.
No markings unless really hidden.
got it in Houston in 92? And it was old then.
Jimmy King was previous owner and still trying to get in contact with him.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
There are so many good id/ers here, I hate to name names. Tate is best on Palmer. Chop Doc is also very good. But just sit tight.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Type 79 is the Palmer guy now, Jay Fishbein.

It looks like a late 1970's, early 1980's custom Palmer to me with a Szamboti forearm. Buttcap with the Palmer imprint or decal may have been replaced. I'm going to message Stryper my email and I'll see if I can dig up more info. If there's any way you can get Barry Szamboti to look at it, it would be worth the effort.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those block rings above and below the wrap should be a clue to someone.
I have no idea but it's a nice old school cue.

stryper

It looks like a late 1970's, early 1980's custom Palmer to me with a Szamboti forearm. Buttcap with the Palmer imprint or decal may have been replaced. I'm going to message Stryker my email and I'll see if I can dig up more info. If there's any way you can get Barry Szamboti to look at it, it would be worth the effort.
Jay has been helping considerably, but I just have not seen a Palmer that looks like it. And you have a bunch of pics on the way. And will do measurement tomorrow if needed

stryper

And funny part is Karma rearing its head. If it is a Palmer built with Mr. Szamboti's stuff, it would truly prove Karma exists.
I'll save that story for a minute...

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It looks like a late 1970's, early 1980's custom Palmer to me with a Szamboti forearm. Buttcap with the Palmer imprint or decal may have been replaced. I'm going to message Stryker my email and I'll see if I can dig up more info. If there's any way you can get Barry Szamboti to look at it, it would be worth the effort.
This cue is very similar to my Palmer Model 12 from the third Palmer catalog with some minor variations- I would agree that if this is a Model 12 it is the Szamboti forearm- mine is the Adams forearm. The other two possibilities I see are Mike Jensen, as someone mentioned, or possibly an early unsigned Richard Black.

Is this a 5/16 14 or 5/16 18 joint screw?