best cue ball

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PLayed for a few hours last night with an Aramith Pro Cup measled cue ball that someone brought to the pool hall. Really loved the way it felt coming off my cue and being able to see some of the spin.

Do you guys bring your own cue to the PH?

What's the best cue ball to buy?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal preference is for the blue circle centennial cue ball (particularly when using centennial balls). I feel this one reacts the most neutrally with those balls.

I think the super aramith pro ball is maybe my next favorite. This one is a bit slipperier and feels harder for some reason. It plays a hair lighter than the centennial.

My understanding has always been that the measle ball *is* the super armamith pro ball but with spots. So I guess I like that one almost as much as the super aramtih pro. The dots are cool to watch, but it seems more of a novelty to me.

KMRUNOUT

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the aramith pro cup measle ball. Love to watch the spin. But I like cats to. :thumbup:

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measle Ball - NOT

I have a measles ball and I never use it. The measles are nice for spectators and especially for a TV audience, but the problem I've seen with ALL of the measles balls is that the chalk sticks to the surface more than other balls. They always look dirty and they tend to cause skids more than others.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
FWIW, not all ball sets weigh the same. Super Pro Aramith TV Cue ball (Measles) is 5.9 ounces and is a direct replacement for the Super Pro Aramith cue ball, balls in the entire set weigh 5.9 ounces.

One time at the pool hall, I let a friend use the measle with the house set (not Centennials or Super Pro). He noticed it took more effort to draw the cue ball. I pulled out my scale, and the ball set came in at 5.6 ounces per ball.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I like the Aramith red-circle ball and the Centennial blue circle cue balls.

I used to carry a red-circle around with me.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Imo the best is the Aramith red circle cue ball. I carry one with me.
randyg

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, not all ball sets weigh the same. Super Pro Aramith TV Cue ball (Measles) is 5.9 ounces and is a direct replacement for the Super Pro Aramith cue ball, balls in the entire set weigh 5.9 ounces.

One time at the pool hall, I let a friend use the measle with the house set (not Centennials or Super Pro). He noticed it took more effort to draw the cue ball. I pulled out my scale, and the ball set came in at 5.6 ounces per ball.

The best cue ball is the one that comes with the set you are playing with (provided they are a complete/unmixed set). I play at a place where the the sets are very miss matched and is very noticible when playing. Therefore I bought a set of aramith super pros and use the cue ball that came with it. Outside of the equipement (tables: beat up G.C. III) I can predict much more easily my shots. Especially since I tend shoot as much as possible on the playing surfasce only since the rails completely screwed up. Hope this helps. Again I think it best for all balls to have the same dimensions.

Carl

Shakeysmooth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the Aramith red circle to the measle ball.

Seems the measle is heavier...seems to roll farther, and kind of hesitates before taking backspin.

Am I crazy?

poolhalljnkie

House cue conversionist
Silver Member
I keep 2 Aramith Red Circle cueballs in my bag at all times. The reason I have 2 is when playing on bar boxes in case you scratch & are now able to catch it, of course if you scratch twice its gonna cost you a dollar to get them back before the game is finished LOL

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
Cue ball

I prefer the red circle but as a TRAINING AID the measles ball is awesome. When practicing it is really nice to be able to see the effect english has on the ball.

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like most people like the red circle. I think if I get one, I'm going to get the red measles super pro. At least then I won't forget to pick it up when I play it it at the pool hall.. Anyone have a good online website to buy one at?

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seems like most people like the red circle. I think if I get one, I'm going to get the red measles super pro. At least then I won't forget to pick it up when I play it it at the pool hall.. Anyone have a good online website to buy one at?

There are counterfeit balls out there, do not scrimp, buy the original Aramith if you must buy that bowling ball :).

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

A couple things:

1. Believe it or not, the choice of cue ball has a lot to do with the player's favorite/preferred games. For example, those that play rotation games (e.g. 9-ball) will often advocate the Aramith Red Circle ball, because it's light and "zingey" -- especially with draw. But those that prefer, say, straight pool, will want a more neutral ball, such as the Aramith/Brunswick Blue Circle Centennial, or the classic Aramith Pro Cup measles ball.
  2. I see a lot of folks referring the Aramith Red Circle cue ball as "the red dot" ball. This is INCORRECT nomenclature. Aramith *does* have a separate product, the Aramith Red Dot, which is not related to the Red Circle cue ball at all. The Aramith Red Circle looks like this:
    3597_thumb.jpg
    ...while the Aramith Red Dot looks like this:
    3599_thumb.jpg
  3. In fact, there are *TWO* Aramith Red Dot cue ball products:
    • the regular Red Dot, and
    • the Red Dot Dynamo. The former is Aramith's attempt at a "neutral" cue ball, while the latter is the specialized cue ball used for the Dynamo tables that use this supreme heavyweight of all cue balls. (The Aramith Red Dot Dynamo weighs in at a hefty 6.75 ounces -- a full ounce heavier than the object balls on that same table -- for the precise reason of the Dynamo table's weight-actuated cue ball return.)
  4. Be careful -- there at least a couple "measles ball impersonators" out there. The "genuine article" (Aramith Pro Cup) has a total of six spots:
    yhst-22823734194310_2153_189763953
    while an imitator -- the Sterling ball -- has a total of eight spots:
    ball-sterling-professional-spotted-cue-ball.jpg
  5. The selection of a cue ball for the bar table environment is MUCH different than for a 9-footer precisely for the cue ball return aspect. If however you don't mind chasing the cue ball before it scratches, or else buying a couple that can be retrieved at the next coin drop, or if your establishment doesn't mind giving you the key to fetch the cue ball after every scratch, then perhaps a measles ball or Red Circle or Blue Circle Centennial might be worth the investment.
Hope this is helpful!
-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the round ones.

That might be a challenge in some real hole-in-the-wall places... you know, those "abstract polygon-ish" (i.e. chipped) cue balls that bounce and stutter when you roll them on the table...

Do these count as "round"?

:p
-Sean