Best Hitting Cues Survey - Please Reply

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Not to rain on your parade ...

BUT, your results are going to be terribly sqewed because:

1) Limited number of cues tried by respondents.
2) Most users are from one particular region of the country, therefore
votes for other regions will not tally up like they should. Considering that
most people stay within their region and the cuemakers within their region
a lot of the time.
3) Hit is being separated from 'balance and feel' which, I do not feel,
that it can be. (for example, Jacoby has a good hit, but the balance is
a little off to me).
4) Tips on the cues can make a large difference on the quality of hit.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
BUT, your results are going to be terribly sqewed because:

1) Limited number of cues tried by respondents.
2) Most users are from one particular region of the country, therefore
votes for other regions will not tally up like they should. Considering that
most people stay within their region and the cuemakers within their region
a lot of the time.
3) Hit is being separated from 'balance and feel' which, I do not feel,
that it can be. (for example, Jacoby has a good hit, but the balance is
a little off to me).
4) Tips on the cues can make a large difference on the quality of hit.

Now, Scott,you quit rainin on that ole boy's parade. This is
just for fun anyway. It's not going to influence too many
people anyhoo. The last time we did this I did want to get
a Madison Bob. But, I didn't. ( did try to trade for one
yesterday).

Last edited:

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ridewiththewind said:
Skip Weston

Side Note: I did get to try lunchmoney's Dave Jones (drop-dead gorgeous, BTW) and it felt very good, but I was so darn nervous about handling it, I couldn't really give it a fair assessment. Maybe we'll try again once my new Skip gets here. ;)

Lisa

Thanks for kind words, looking forward to hitting a few with your Skip Weston if you don't mind. As far as the hit on Dave's cues, I have hit balls with Judd's, Layani's, Scruggs, Schulers', Tice's, Dale Weston's, Joss and a Southwest to name a few. All of the cues were great but none were better than Dave's. The ones I liked the best other than Dave's were the Schuler and the Southwest.

Lunchmoney

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:
Thanks for kind words, looking forward to hitting a few with your Skip Weston if you don't mind. As far as the hit on Dave's cues, I have hit balls with Judd's, Layani's, Scruggs, Schulers', Tice's, Dale Weston's, Joss and a Southwest to name a few. All of the cues were great but none were better than Dave's. The ones I liked the best other than Dave's were the Schuler and the Southwest.

Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney - Which DJ shaft/tip combo are you playing with? I'm curious.

BTW, I'll vote for Dave Jones as well... but I haven't hit balls with as many top name custom cues as Lunchmoney has... good lineup brother. :)

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cigardave said:
Lunchmoney - Which DJ shaft/tip combo are you playing with? I'm curious.

BTW, I'll vote for Dave Jones as well... but I haven't hit balls with as many top name custom cues as Lunchmoney has... good lineup brother. :)

I had Dave make me two shafts with ivory ferrules. I recently replaced the tips and went with Talisman mediums. Still hits great. the cue came with a Moori soft on one shaft and a Hercules on the other. As far as the cues I have hit with there is a couple of cue collectors that come into the pool hall on occasion plus at tournaments I have had the opportunity to try out some different cues. I wish finances would allow me to have Dave build me another cue, I would like to get another before the waiting list gets too long.

Lunchmoney

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:
I had Dave make me two shafts with ivory ferrules. I recently replaced the tips and went with Talisman mediums. Still hits great. the cue came with a Moori soft on one shaft and a Hercules on the other. As far as the cues I have hit with there is a couple of cue collectors that come into the pool hall on occasion plus at tournaments I have had the opportunity to try out some different cues. I wish finances would allow me to have Dave build me another cue, I would like to get another before the waiting list gets too long.

Lunchmoney
Are the shafts his Matrix shafts? I have one of those but not with an ivory ferrule... it's linen phenolic.. and I have a 314 as well. Both shafts are tipped with Talisman PRO mediums. Good tips!

BTW, I know what you mean about ordering another DJ cue. I just ordered a matched set last week. They should be beautiful. Mid-summer can't come soon enough. :)

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cigardave said:
Are the shafts his Matrix shafts? I have one of those but not with an ivory ferrule... it's linen phenolic.. and I have a 314 as well. Both shafts are tipped with Talisman PRO mediums. Good tips!

BTW, I know what you mean about ordering another DJ cue. I just ordered a matched set last week. They should be beautiful. Mid-summer can't come soon enough. :)

The shafts Dave made were from extremely tight grained maple. No matrix or 314's.

A matched set...I'm jealous. My talisman mediums are PRO's also. Will the cues be ready by the time Shotzes has their Memorial Day Tourney?

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
ScottR said:
Hercek
J. White
Josswest
Scruggs
R. Black (all you nay-sayers can kiss my . . . . . j/k ;) )

I have tried many cues from a wide variety of craftsmen and production houses and agree with ScottR... All 4 Richard Black cues I have owned had very nice feel to the hit. I am sure he has crafted a few cues that don't hit well, but I have not felt one. I may have to get mine out tonight just to feel that again. My Black Boar has a great hit, but is more solid and has slightly less feel than the RBs. I shoot better with the BB because it is stiffer, which compliments my game more.

toomanybugs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sold all my cues, but I still have a swigg of the JTS to the weekend. ;)

Attachments

• JTS_02C.JPG
    JTS_02C.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 3,432
Last edited:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
lunchmoney said:
Will the cues be ready by the time Shotzes has their Memorial Day Tourney?

I don't think so... it'd be a real push. He quoted me 3-4 months from March 4th. I'm thinkin' more like mid-July. Davy doesn't rush many things.

Banks

Banned
Hits like a wet dream

I'll vote for my Schmelke! Granted, it's the only cue I've had since I started playing seriously just over a year ago. I'll take my $120 Schmelke over my friends' more expensive cues any day. As long as it's straight and has a friendly tip, what else really matters? It's the same thing as switching from a 7' to a 9' table, the only things that change are your perceptions and how you respond to them. Imho, if you've played for 10 or 20 years and need constant feedback from a cue after a hit (my feedback _is_ the hit), you haven't learned enough about stroke.

Besides, there's nothing like beating up on APA 7's with several cues each worth more than mine and who have been playing for longer than I've been alive.

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ridewiththewind said:
Skip Weston

Side Note: I did get to try lunchmoney's Dave Jones (drop-dead gorgeous, BTW) and it felt very good, but I was so darn nervous about handling it, I couldn't really give it a fair assessment. Maybe we'll try again once my new Skip gets here. ;)

Lisa

Lisa,

I forgot to note that if you go to the cue gallery section, I posted some pictures of the cue when I got it last July. The name of the thread is "My New Dave Jones Cue"

Lunchmoney