Best Player that Quit Early on

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rumor had it, after the Fat Man beat down at Janscos, his game was never quite the same. Mary K. may have additional info.
Richie was still playing in pro tournaments in 1980. He played in the SF Open 9-ball that year and the World 14.1 at the Roosevelt in NYC.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Originally I said "Ched Davis"; but seriously? Jimmy Marino. He didn't really "quit" quit - just got off the road and opened a pool hall. Helluva player.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Dave Charette....from somewhere in Michigan.
Neil may be able to tell us something.

Went to a tournament there in ‘77...just to watch...didn’t own a cue...7 year lay-off.
Charette beat a lot of top names...lost to Mike Carella in the finals.

First time I saw the Bushwhacker, Gary Nolan...got the 8 off Mataya...and won.
Sigel beat a man 11-0 in the tourney.....SIX nines on the break.

YukonCornelius

Registered
Steve Brincat.

As a kid growing up in Mobile, Al. back in the 90's, I learned to play One Pocket from Steve and played countless games of 9 Ball with his wife Karen. Although I'm not sure Steve ever really "officially" played, he no longer shoots, last I heard. He was by far the best I've seen. One Pocket, 9-Ball, 10-Ball, 14.1, etc... He was amazing to watch. Guys that didn't even shoot would come in to bet against him shooting the ghost. If memory servers me right, on a Saturday afternoon back in 1993 or 1994, I saw Brincat run 9 racks straight for $1000+. I believe the bet was only to 6 but the fella betting against him kept throwin' more out there until he finally broke dry on the 10th rack. It was magic - something to behold, lol. His wife Karen was a pretty phenomenal 9-Ball player as well and would give any of our locals a run for their money back then. Good times and great memories!

Cheers!
JF

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Charette....from somewhere in Michigan.
Neil may be able to tell us something.

Went to a tournament there in ‘77...just to watch...didn’t own a cue...7 year lay-off.
Charette beat a lot of top names...lost to Mike Carella in the finals.

First time I saw the Bushwhacker, Gary Nolan...got the 8 off Mataya...and won.
Sigel beat a man 11-0 in the tourney.....SIX nines on the break.

I was in the Navy at that time. Didn't move back to Mi. until '85. The name doesn't ring any bells for me. ??

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
He was shot while his girlfriend was horsing around with a gun in the car. I remember playing him at the rack tournament years ago I'm up 4-0 ,break dry and never got back to the table. He ran out and the put a 6 together in about 10 minutes.

Who?

John Smith?

Lee van Cleef?

Mr. Roper from Three's Company?

(I mean, if you are just gonna refer to some random ""He", I figure I will throw in some names, since you are in no way, shape, or form telling us to whom you are referring...)

Short Bus Russ

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Who?

John Smith?

Lee van Cleef?

Mr. Roper from Three's Company?

(I mean, if you are just gonna refer to some random ""He", I figure I will throw in some names, since you are in no way, shape, or form telling us to whom you are referring...)

Short Bus Russ

Kids name was TITO, 19+- yr old pinoy/american who got 3 balls better in about a year....the kid had potential!!

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Kids name was TITO, 19+- yr old pinoy/american who got 3 balls better in about a year....the kid had potential!!

Are we still talking about the guy who got shot in a car?

What the fark is with all the vague posting on here, lately?

I mean, I get it.. Pool players are an aging demographic and whatnot, but we don't HAVE to post like we are senile... :)

Short Bus Russ

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Are we still talking about the guy who got shot in a car?

What the fark is with all the vague posting on here, lately?

I mean, I get it.. Pool players are an aging demographic and whatnot, but we don't HAVE to post like we are senile... :)

Short Bus Russ

Russ,

For all i know the poster that brought TITO up probably didn't want to knock his action

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Russ,

For all i know the poster that brought TITO up probably didn't want to knock his action
According to come of the comments above, I would say that Tito didn't quit and he is not worried about anyone knocking his action now.

As for the OP, I'll vote for George Rood who played about even with Lassiter in the 1950s but gave up playing pool to raise and judge show dogs. He told me that in one straight pool session where he was spotting 50-no-count in games to 100, he ran 100 and out 11 times.

Last edited:

Nccm

Registered
[

QUOTE=YukonCornelius;6050885]Steve Brincat.
I knew Brimcat pretty good. He was a great player and a life long pool hustler. I played cards and pool with him almost everyday for about 6 months while I lived in Mobile. Saw him in Florida a few times after that and he was always hustling. I don't think I ever saw his best game at anything just enough to get the cash. At that time everyone played at bakers pool hall .

As a kid growing up in Mobile, Al. back in the 90's, I learned to play One Pocket from Steve and played countless games of 9 Ball with his wife Karen. Although I'm not sure Steve ever really "officially" played, he no longer shoots, last I heard. He was by far the best I've seen. One Pocket, 9-Ball, 10-Ball, 14.1, etc... He was amazing to watch. Guys that didn't even shoot would come in to bet against him shooting the ghost. If memory servers me right, on a Saturday afternoon back in 1993 or 1994, I saw Brincat run 9 racks straight for $1000+. I believe the bet was only to 6 but the fella betting against him kept throwin' more out there until he finally broke dry on the 10th rack. It was magic - something to behold, lol. His wife Karen was a pretty phenomenal 9-Ball player as well and would give any of our locals a run for their money back then. Good times and great memories!

Cheers!
JF[/QUOTE]

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jr. Harris

Been AT LEAST 10 years since hearing this - Jr quit playing ( gamblin at the least ), moved to Texas, and became a preacher. I have seen Jr play many times and even back then I dont recall him being that young though.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shuput is Omaha John.

I wasn't aware John had quit either. I know maybe also about 10 years ago he was still on the road ( maybe not full time but a good buddy of mine brought him in for a few specific games, IIRC correctly Chris Bartram was there too - Sonny's place Hot Shots and also at his bar The Rosedale Inn ).

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shuput is Omaha John.

I wasn't under the impression John quit early either. I know about 10 years he was still on the road ( maybe not full time but a good buddy of mine brought him in town for a few specific games. IIRC, Chris Bartram was there as well ).

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been AT LEAST 10 years since hearing this - Jr quit playing ( gamblin at the least ), moved to Texas, and became a preacher. I have seen Jr play many times and even back then I dont recall him being that young though.

Still hustling, just not on a pool table.