Best Player that Quit Early on

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is a thread started by Ross Keith Thompson about the all around from onepocket.org
He is still active on that forum. Anybody interested in what happened to him could ask him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
here is a thread started by Ross Keith Thompson about the all around from onepocket.org
Keith Thompson has to be the ultimate story about a player coming out of nowhere and beating the best players and then disappearing. I was not at JC that year so I never saw him play. The report I got back then (from Ronnie) was that he was the seven ball under the top 9-Ball players, a really good shortstop. But he just got hot at the right time and took it all down. The fact that he pretty much driopped off the pool map afterwards is what made it so mysterious. Why would a guy quit just like that when he was on top of the pool world. I never did get the answer to that one.

After him, the next best player who dropped off the map at a young age has to be Mark Beilfuss from Michigan. As a teenager he was already beating the best Straight Pool players in the country and winning just about everything in sight in Michigan, when there were a lot of good players around (Dallas West, Jeff Carter, Bob Hunter, etc.). I think his absence had something to do with substance abuse though.

Many other very good players quit young, but after they had already made a name for themselves on the national scene. Michael Coltrain had already established himself as one of the very best players when he quit the game due to his tremors, and Jon Kucharo was a top ten player when he went off the deep end. It was particularly sad about Jon because he had always followed the straight and narrow, and when he succumbed to temptation it came as a total surprise to most of us.

Sadly Chan Witt and Brendan Crockett died young in car accidents and there was one other young up and coming champ that I believe died as a pedestrian, Adam somethng? And finally we lost Tony Ellin at the peak of his game, also a victim of an auto accident.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keith Thompson has to be the ultimate story about a player coming out of nowhere and beating the best players and then disappearing. I was not at JC that year so I never saw him play. The report I got back then (from Ronnie) was that he was the seven ball under the top 9-Ball players, a really good shortstop. But he just got hot at the right time and took it all down. The fact that he pretty much driopped off the pool map afterwards is what made it so mysterious. Why would a guy quit just like that when he was on top of the pool world. I never did get the answer to that one.

After him, the next best player who dropped off the map at a young age has to be Mark Beilfuss from Michigan. As a teenager he was already beating the best Straight Pool players in the country and winning just about everything in sight in Michigan, when there were a lot of good players around (Dallas West, Jeff Carter, Bob Hunter, etc.). I think his absence had something to do with substance abuse though.

Many other very good players quit young, but after they had already made a name for themselves on the national scene. Michael Coltrain had already established himself as one of the very best players when he quit the game due to his tremors, and Jon Kucharo was a top ten player when he went off the deep end. It was particularly sad about Jon because he had always followed the straight and narrow, and when he succumbed to temptation it came as a total surprise to most of us.

Sadly Chan Witt and Brendan Crockett died young in car accidents and there was one other young up and coming champ that I believe died as a pedestrian, Adam somethng? And finally we lost Tony Ellin at the peak of his game, also a victim of an auto accident.
I think you’re referring to Tyler Strawn. Great young player when he passed.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you’re referring to Tyler Strawn. Great young player when he passed.
Yes, that's the guy I was thinking about. I forget exactly what happened, but as I recall he got out of his car and was hit by a passing car.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's the guy I was thinking about. I forget exactly what happened, but as I recall he got out of his car and was hit by a passing car.
Tyler's car broke down and he and his girlfriend tried to run across a unlit hwy. Both were killed by a passing vehicle. Tragic deal.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coletrain, I can't rember his first name. Mike I think.
Some players should've made it big but didn't, because of personal problems attitude etc. but that's another thread sometime.
Adam Pendley from Marion, NC could have been a champion. He beat Earl in a $ session around 15 years ago when he was no more than 16 or 17. It wasn’t long after that a number of issues derailed what would have been a promising career.

jjohnson

Registered
Keith Thompson apparently 1970. It doesn't look much like he did when I saw him. If this is 1970 then I must have seen him with Cole in 1968 - 1969.

KeithThompson.jpg

jjohnson

Registered
I decided to Google Ross Keith Thompson and the first top and the only hit was from onepocket.org

If you go to the site and then go to the forum page search for Ross Keith Thompson. He has made many posts. The last one he made was August 3, 2021.

He has lots of great stories. Read about how he won Johnson City in 1970 and who he played. You might have to read more than one of his posts to get the whole story. He says he won seven matches straight in 9 ball. He beat Cole 11 - 8.

He even comments about how some people said he got lucky. He says you don't win Johnson City against these caliber players getting lucky.

Speaking about luck: I was about 23 - 24 and I was playing Dennis Brown some 9 ball at Fremont Family Billiards. He was a kind of loud and out of control kinda guy. Any way I used one of the house cues to break. I can still remember it was a 24 oz. cue with a shaft no bigger than 12mm. And the butt was huge. It had one of those standard elk tips. I think the table was a gold crown and the pockets were probably 4 and a half inches wide. The cloth was worn but still good.

It felt strong and solid in my hand and I put my who body into it but didn't exert myself. It just all flowed. I made 7 balls on the break. The cue ball stayed on the table and I think the 3 and 7 ball too. Dennis and the pool hall owner Larry and I think only two other people saw it. Business was slow at the time. Everyone including me were quite surprised.

I saw Dennis a few times after that at the pool hall. Every time he walked in a saw me he would immediately call out loudly, "There's the guy who made 7 balls on the break and left the 5 and 9 on the table! Hah hah hah." What a jerk.

I told Catfish, one of the regulars at Hard Times Bellflower, this story and the owner, is it Kinney or Kenny, playing at a nearby table calls out and says, "I made 7 balls on the break, too."

I was a little stunned to hear this. I thought I was the only one in the whole world who ever made 7 balls on the break in 9 ball. What could I say. I said nothing. So I guess there are two of us. End of story.

Keith thompson

I matched up with Ronnie even one hole for 50 a game when I was 16.5 yrs old at LeCue club in Houston, beat him 6 in a row he played one handed I played two handed. He called me a hub cap stealing fffing punk! Bahaha

Myself and my friend Bobby Taylor were finishing beating a small poolroom for 6-7 hundred when Ronnie entered the poolroom and came straight back to the domino table where Bobby and I were sitting, he had daggers in his eyes looking at both of us and we walked with the money bahaha

I was 17 then, now at 18 we were playing for the All Around world title and he lost 10-12k of his backers money on our final match of nine ball against the most battle hardened 18 yr old that ever walked the planet in a race to 11. I blew Ronnie away with 5 straight racks from opening bell and he cussed me in front of a packed house numerous times until the Ref threatened a forfeit!

Played Buddy Hall even nine ball for 25 a game 2 months after Johnston City in Pasadena Tx on a 4.5 by 9 gold crown and broke even with him. I don’t believe a short stop could play Buddy Hall even 9 ball for 3-4 hrs?

I heard for yrs thru friends, grapevine, etc that Ronnie claimed I played over my head, got lucky, etc. he should have said I was terrific it would make him look better bahaha

I wouldn’t tell everybody a short stop beat me for the world title!

Buddy Hall is still living and might catch him at Buffalo Billiards at the big tourney going on their. Call a friend their or the owner and ask Buddy if we ever played and you’ll get the truth about my game.

Ronnie Allen didn’t admit I could play for 40 yrs until my friend Denny Glen hugged his neck for Me and Ronnie said “that kid sure could Play”.

I Miss Him!

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Hodges-most say he was a shortstop but not True. He could play with anybody-he was just smart enough not too-built a couple great businesses and made money.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I decided to Google Ross Keith Thompson and the first top and the only hit was from onepocket.org

If you go to the site and then go to the forum page search for Ross Keith Thompson. He has made many posts. The last one he made was August 3, 2021.

He has lots of great stories. Read about how he won Johnson City in 1970 and who he played. You might have to read more than one of his posts to get the whole story. He says he won seven matches straight in 9 ball. He beat Cole 11 - 8.

He even comments about how some people said he got lucky. He says you don't win Johnson City against these caliber players getting lucky.

Speaking about luck: I was about 23 - 24 and I was playing Dennis Brown some 9 ball at Fremont Family Billiards. He was a kind of loud and out of control kinda guy. Any way I used one of the house cues to break. I can still remember it was a 24 oz. cue with a shaft no bigger than 12mm. And the butt was huge. It had one of those standard elk tips. I think the table was a gold crown and the pockets were probably 4 and a half inches wide. The cloth was worn but still good.

It felt strong and solid in my hand and I put my who body into it but didn't exert myself. It just all flowed. I made 7 balls on the break. The cue ball stayed on the table and I think the 3 and 7 ball too. Dennis and the pool hall owner Larry and I think only two other people saw it. Business was slow at the time. Everyone including me were quite surprised.

I saw Dennis a few times after that at the pool hall. Every time he walked in a saw me he would immediately call out loudly, "There's the guy who made 7 balls on the break and left the 5 and 9 on the table! Hah hah hah." What a jerk.

I told Catfish, one of the regulars at Hard Times Bellflower, this story and the owner, is it Kinney or Kenny, playing at a nearby table calls out and says, "I made 7 balls on the break, too."

I was a little stunned to hear this. I thought I was the only one in the whole world who ever made 7 balls on the break in 9 ball. What could I say. I said nothing. So I guess there are two of us. End of story.
Well, I guess I’m number three…..made seven, left the 5 and 9 on the table…I was hooked…pushed out to a tricky bank….….
…….guy banked it in like it was a hanger :)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Margo comes to mind, I know there were a few others that went to bettin on the horses and card playing. But Margo made it big I heard in Video or DVD's, something along that line.
Jean Balukus was another, tho she has a pool room in NY that keeps her busy. There was another player out the the Quad City area, forgot his name, was a good golfer also, but a great gambler.
I haven’t read this entire thread which seems to have been revisited today. Has anybody mentioned Danny (Kid Delicious) Basavich ?

Wasn’t Mike Sigel just over 40 when he basically retired from tournaments play?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I matched up with Ronnie even one hole for 50 a game when I was 16.5 yrs old at LeCue club in Houston, beat him 6 in a row he played one handed I played two handed. He called me a hub cap stealing fffing punk! Bahaha

Myself and my friend Bobby Taylor were finishing beating a small poolroom for 6-7 hundred when Ronnie entered the poolroom and came straight back to the domino table where Bobby and I were sitting, he had daggers in his eyes looking at both of us and we walked with the money bahaha

I was 17 then, now at 18 we were playing for the All Around world title and he lost 10-12k of his backers money on our final match of nine ball against the most battle hardened 18 yr old that ever walked the planet in a race to 11. I blew Ronnie away with 5 straight racks from opening bell and he cussed me in front of a packed house numerous times until the Ref threatened a forfeit!

Played Buddy Hall even nine ball for 25 a game 2 months after Johnston City in Pasadena Tx on a 4.5 by 9 gold crown and broke even with him. I don’t believe a short stop could play Buddy Hall even 9 ball for 3-4 hrs?

I heard for yrs thru friends, grapevine, etc that Ronnie claimed I played over my head, got lucky, etc. he should have said I was terrific it would make him look better bahaha

I wouldn’t tell everybody a short stop beat me for the world title!

Buddy Hall is still living and might catch him at Buffalo Billiards at the big tourney going on their. Call a friend their or the owner and ask Buddy if we ever played and you’ll get the truth about my game.

Ronnie Allen didn’t admit I could play for 40 yrs until my friend Denny Glen hugged his neck for Me and Ronnie said “that kid sure could Play”.

I Miss Him!
I LOVE IT! Finally got Keith's side of the story. I knew Ronnie well and not only idolized him, but traveled with him extensively on the West Coast. That was one of his favorite moves, playing one handed One Pocket to the other player's two hands. If they were particularly good he would ask for and often get the break. Then he had them locked up. Keith got it right that Ronnie told people you were a good shortstop that got hot in that tournament. He never liked to talk about losing in the finals to you. I did know he and his crew (Lenny Moore etc.) lost a bunch of cash that day. That's about all I knew for sure since I wasn't there. Sounds like he tried to shark you too but it didn't work.

I still don't know exactly why you quit pool soon after. I kind of remember stories about you having a family to support and going to work. My memory is vague on that now, since it's been so long ago. I think you were there in Houston when I played in the Super Senior event a few years back, but we never really talked. I was trying to win a match and was playing for sh-t. I got lucky by buying Bob Ogburn in the calcutta and he got me even for the trip when he won the tourney. I did hear that you made a good life for yourself, so congrats on that.

Later on someone (I don't remember who) told me that you played like Cole's speed back then or even ran around with Cole out
West. Something like that. You can elaborate if you want. Cole was ferocious when he was a teen also, flying around the country, taking on local champions and coming home with the cheese.

Keith thompson

Why did you walk away from pool?

Just curious...
There was nothing there, couldn’t make any money, no tournaments back in the day except for Stardust tourney in Vegas and Johnston City.

I was the Tiger Woods of pocket billiards back in the day and I loved the game as much as anyone but couldn’t make any money. I have met most of the great players from the 50’s - 60’s and before.

They were all broke and most lived out of a suitcase! I didn’t want to commit myself to a life like that so I left the game for the job market and did pretty good. I have no regrets. I’ve missed the game all my life and all the characters that came with it!

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was nothing there, couldn’t make any money, no tournaments back in the day except for Stardust tourney in Vegas and Johnston City.

I was the Tiger Woods of pocket billiards back in the day and I loved the game as much as anyone but couldn’t make any money. I have met most of the great players from the 50’s - 60’s and before.

They were all broke and most lived out of a suitcase! I didn’t want to commit myself to a life like that so I left the game for the job market and did pretty good. I have no regrets. I’ve missed the game all my life and all the characters that came with it!
Thank you for sharing——I’ve been thinking about something you said for a while. There’s no money there, but equally important most every player seems to always stay broke or one match away from it. I understand gambling but why do such talentEd individuals allow the horses to make money and have sport with their talents-i just will never get it.