Best poolroom in Austin?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ors.jpg

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Hey, folks. I was wondering what the az forums believe the best poolroom in Austin, TX is?
I've tried Warehouse billiards, and it was fine, but it doesn't seem like a place for serious players.
Thanks in advance.
Joe
Although Skinny Bob's is in Round Rock, it is the best pool room in the Austin area. Having said that, they allow indoor smoking. The air cleaners do a good job, but the smell is noticeable. All the top players go there. 9-ball tournaments on Fri, Sat nights at 7:30. Also Sun at 2:30. Action can be found just about any time. 17 9ft Diamond Pro Am tables that are tough, but fair. There are also 2 3-cushion tables. The owners and staff are really nice. Hope to see you there.

9ballscorpion

Although Skinny Bob's is in Round Rock, it is the best pool room in the Austin area. Having said that, they allow indoor smoking. The air cleaners do a good job, but the smell is noticeable. All the top players go there. 9-ball tournaments on Fri, Sat nights at 7:30. Also Sun at 2:30. Action can be found just about any time. 17 9ft Diamond Pro Am tables that are tough, but fair. There are also 2 3-cushion tables. The owners and staff are really nice. Hope to see you there.

That sounds awesome. Do you know of any Snooker tables in the Austin area? Thanks.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I finally made it out to Skinny Bob's last night. It is a nice pool room with a friendly staff. And just the Friday night tournament had maybe 25 players with three players around 720 Fargo speed! I doubt I'll go back, simply because I woke up this morning and could smell the smoke on my skin and clothes. If you don't mind smoke, it's a cool spot.

The players there told me about a place in South Austin called Betsy's Billiards, that was the first time I'd heard that place mentioned! Apparently it has just 8' Diamonds, but is smoke free! I'll hit them up soon and report back.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally made it out to Skinny Bob's last night. It is a nice pool room with a friendly staff. And just the Friday night tournament had maybe 25 players with three players around 720 Fargo speed! I doubt I'll go back, simply because I woke up this morning and could smell the smoke on my skin and clothes. If you don't mind smoke, it's a cool spot.

The players there told me about a place in South Austin called Betsy's Billiards, that was the first time I'd heard that place mentioned! Apparently it has just 8' Diamonds, but is smoke free! I'll hit them up soon and report back.
Sorry buddy I should have warned you about that!

9ballscorpion

Wow, 3 players over 700 Fargo. Sounds awesome.

The smoke sounds horrible though. Hope it was not too bad. I can't handing breathing smoke. Makes me sick.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The smoke sounds horrible though. Hope it was not too bad. I can't handing breathing smoke. Makes me sick.
Honestly, for a smoking room, it wasn't too bad. I've been in way worse. Maybe I'm just being sensitive. With everything bein non-smoking nowadays, it was certainly noticeable.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was there about two years ago before they remodeled. When I went the smoke was unbearable. I’d start gagging and have to go outside for fresh air breaks. It was a hot box. And my skin, hair and clothes stank of it after I left. And I used to smoke for about 15 years (quit 9 years ago).

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first started playing pool smoke was pervasive and it somehow didn't bother me (I've never really smoked cigarettes, just a few cigars here and there), but now I can't even imagine playing in such an environment. It's amazing the things you can get used to or things that don't bother you when you're relatively young.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Betsy's btw, in South Austin opened early this year. Turns out Betsy is a "girl" that used to play pool in Leagues at some of the places around town...mostly South Austin. Very cool.. I hope she does well with the new place. I need to sneak down there soon and put some money in the register and say hello.

Phil Jones, Austin Texas.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
What about one of those Tyvek type suits to wear that zip up. They are very comfortable and not at all expensive.
You could move around easily and at the end of the night your clothes and skin will not take on that odor.
Just a thought, albeit possibly a stupid one.
Honestly, for a smoking room, it wasn't too bad. I've been in way worse. Maybe I'm just being sensitive. With everything bein non-smoking nowadays, it was certainly noticeable

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checked out Betsy's in South Austin tonight.

Photo03030010.jpg
Photo03030141.jpg

Photo03030141_1.jpg

My review:

I love the way the place looks in person. They did a wonderful job with the design, table choice and set up. The house cues I tried were nice too. I watched the league for a while which was winding down, drank some sodas and hit balls for about an hour. I was the last customer on a table so I decided to stop around 1:30 am. The ladies said I could hit a bit longer while they cleaned up but I did not want to hold them up. Liz, the bar tender was very nice and cute too! The waitresses I talked to were cool also! The customers seemed happy too. The only "issue" I saw was I started to late and in the bathroom the towel machine had run out. Not surprising near closing time on a busy league night. Next time I won't pee on my hands!!! Masks on just like anywhere else unless drinking, eating or 6 feet from others not in your group. Check it out. New Diamonds! Sweet!

We won't talk about my pool playing..I had not hit a ball since 2014! I will blame it on the Diamonds.
😜
🤪
😉
It would take a while for rack running 9-ball Phil to remerge from his pool playing coma. A LONG while. IF he starts up again!

Last edited:

DMFW

Registered
Joe I dont mean to hijack your thread but I was listening to your Dustin Poirier podcast and thought it would be cool if you had an ex road player on. The stories they could tell would be awesome, somebody like Jeremy Jones