Billy Thorpe beats Wu 11-1

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can anyone provide a quick rundown? Did Billy drop a big pack of racks on the table?
Was safety play an issue?

Did Wu even get to the table?

And is this as shocking or more shocking than Karen defeating big Ko a couple of US Opens ago?

Thorpe had 4 B&R's -- Games 2, 4, 9, and 12. So Wu got to the table in 8 games. Thorpe got out after one dry break by Wu, several misses or fouls by Wu, and a couple of good Thorpe banks after Wu played safe or returned a push.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wu will never be consider a World Champion if he can never win the big tournament abroad, away from his native area.

Freddie <~~~ sounds as stupid as it sounds

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wu will never be consider a World Champion if he can never win the big tournament abroad, away from his native area.

Well, he won World 8 Ball at 16 in UAE about 10 years ago

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm glad to see Billy play that good. He refused to be intimidated and that's a good thing. We need him on Team USA, a wise choice by Captain Johan! ;)

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am surprised the thread is not filled with some people claiming Billy is better than Wu now even though intelligent people know that is not true at all.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I see what you are doing here. Very witty and relevant.

The UAE is 4 hours behind China. Wu winning there away from China should be considered like Shane winning in California.

Somehow I don't think Wu will get the Shane treatment for losing to an underdog in the first round of a major tournament half way around the world from his home.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Somehow I don't think Wu will get the Shane treatment for losing to an underdog in the first round of a major tournament half way around the world from his home.

That was Wu's second match (beat Chohan yesterday), Thorpe's first.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The odds of Thorpe beating Wu 11 to 1 is 00.0
Don't expect it ever again.....just sayin

Grats to Billy and keep it going :)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Don't forget Shane got beat.

Yes, this is a monster field too. I have Orcullo over Wu, so I am sweating him.

Talk about bad luck, Oscar and Ernesto Dominguez both lost their first matches and are now paired on the losers side first match. Wow that sucks. I am sure Ernesto will let Oscar win as he has in the past. Worst would be if they got put on the TV table!

Last edited: