bj ussery

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not according to Fargo Ratings:

BJ: 746
Wilkie: 745
Guy didn't look to be shooting to great ...and that's a barbox.

what a whole bag of nothing. worth a thread, really? the guy rakes the balls in some non-ranking barbox tournament. almost everyone has been in that situation, frustated with himself or "the rolls", conceded games. to me this says nothing about mr ussery other than that he was frustated that day
Other than the hulk smash break, I didn't see much.

All that stuff only makes your opponent stronger.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the winner is . . .

261010516_2941823542798608_6015790587307367932_n.jpg

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
A little unprofessional here, but nothing to get wound up over. This certainly does not qualify as disgraceful, as was suggested, which would require any of extreme profanity, physical aggression, or a manifestation of great disrespect toward an opponent, referee, or any other attendee. Many of the top American players don't view themselves as indebted in any way to those who produce or watch pool, but that's hardly news.

I like the Joss Tour rule that if you concede a rack, you lose that rack and one more. That way, people play out the racks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little unprofessional here, but nothing to get wound up over. This certainly does not qualify as disgraceful, as was suggested, which would require any of extreme profanity, physical aggression, or a manifestation of disrespect toward an opponent, referee, or any other attendee. Many of the top American players don't view themselves as indebted in any way to those who produce or watch pool, but that's hardly news.

I like the Joss Tour rule that if you concede a rack, you lose that rack and one more. That way, people play out the racks.
Good rule.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's wrong with conceding? It shows respect to your opponent and doesn't waste anyone's time delaying the inevitable. For comparison, chess players almost always resign when their opponent gets a dominant position. This is understood and accepted by all without any issues.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's wrong with conceding? It shows respect to your opponent and doesn't waste anyone's time delaying the inevitable. For comparison, chess players almost always resign when their opponent gets a dominant position. This is understood and accepted by all without any issues.
Doing it in the finals of a tournament, the last four games in a row, including one game with still nine object balls on the table is a little extreme don’t you think?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing it in the finals of a tournament, the last four games in a row, including one game with still nine object balls on the table is a little extreme don’t you think?
Yes, I do think it's extreme in this case. I don't think it's necessarily wrong, but it's definitely unsportsmanlike since he's fully tilted and acting like a lunatic. However, my comment was referring to the Joss Tour rule that was mentioned. In the large majority of cases, concessions involve just an easy money ball shot. There's nothing wrong with conceding in those situations.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I do think it's extreme in this case. I don't think it's necessarily wrong, but it's definitely unsportsmanlike since he's fully tilted and acting like a lunatic. However, my comment was referring to the Joss Tour rule that was mentioned. In the large majority of cases, concessions involve just an easy money ball shot. There's nothing wrong with conceding in those situations.
It is an acceptable rule.

It virtually eliminates the possibility one player says 'good' after shape is determined on the winning ball and the other takes it as a concession mistakenly (with or without intent of trickery by non shooter).

Could be viewed as engineering away a potential trouble source.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in some events that did not want people conceding games. Their opinion was that it hurt their tournament product (stream) and chances to gain sponsors.

No concessions in any other tournament sports to my memory.

I like shoot everything rules...

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in some events that did not want people conceding games. Their opinion was that it hurt their tournament product (stream) and chances to gain sponsors.

No concessions in any other tournament sports to my memory.

I like shoot everything rules...
Chess
MMA
Boxing
Snooker
Golf - Match Play Only
Many Youth Sports - "Mercy Rule"

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chess
MMA
Boxing
Snooker
Golf - Match Play Only
In MMA and Boxing a stoppage is different from conceding a rack (in my opinion).

Chess is not a sport (rotation pool is).
and the other stuff apples and oranges...

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have spoken to BJ a number of times at tournaments and he has been nothing but nice to me. I think this is a case of him being frustrated but also knowing he’s playing a good player. Down big on bar box alternating break with guys of this caliber is a tough thing to overcome.

Watching BJs match against Thomas before playing Wilkie, BJ missed a handful of shots that normally he makes in his sleep. I think this was just a boil over of frustration from previous matches and BJ was upset at himself. I agree, he could have handled it better, but it’s not an indication of how I have seen him act in a more general basis.

-Heath

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live here in NC and have played BJ and seen him around for many years. Always been a very cool guy to talk too. Like may others I think he got frustrated at himself and expected more of himself in that match. It happens to everyone at one time or another. I am willing to bet he apologized to Shaun even though he likely did not care much about it himself.. All these guys see each other all the time and sometimes shit just happens.. BJ is alright by me regardless of this incident...

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I disagree slightly.

Doesn't always show respect. A local used to talk about conceding games even mid rack like on the 5 or 6 ball just to keep the other player from getting in stroke.
Sometimes would concede multiple racks back to back and then hit his gear.

The local guy is a crap sportsman though.

tomatoshooter

Chess
MMA
Boxing
Snooker
Golf - Match Play Only
Chess can take a long time even after the outcome is clear.
MMA you can be in an absolutely unwinnable position and the only two outcomes are accepting defeat or getting injured and accepting defeat.
Boxing is usually conceded by your corner man when victory is virtually impossible and injury is likely.

In pool, the match can turn around and you will not get injured.