Bogus Tim Scruggs Cue

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
How long did Bill McDaniel make cues for Tim Scruggs? Or Excuse me I meant to say How long did Bill McDaniel work there? LOL But seriously, wouldn't Bill be able to authenticate Scruggs cues also?

Ive heard that relationship didn't end on a positive note and that Bill McDaniels had taken advantage of some opportunities per say.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you have this backwards Bill was financially invested in Scruggs Cues and some of their work was done in Bill's shop but Bill didn't receive any return on it.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That Cue would have been inlaid by Bob if it was a TS.

Bob did not have anything to do with this Cue growing a logo.
He has no idea what people are doing putting a logo that Tim and he owned on anything.
Only Bob Frey has any business authenticating Tim's and his Cues.
Bob built them.
Bob asked me if he could send people my way to authenticate their work because he was to busy and didn't have time to in his opinion waste for them.
I refused.
I want absolutely nothing to do with it.
I know bull crap when I see it though.
As for Bill, Tim and Bob taught Bill and Tony at BB Cues how to make a Cue.
Bill also learned to never call Bob Dude.
If a TS Cue has no logo Bob built it. No ifs and or buts.
That is why nobody and I mean no body takes these no logo Cue to Bob for his evaluation.
They will get their feelings hurt.

Nick :)

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned Mcdaniels was putting logos on Scruggs cues in the 90's, so if you don't know the difference between a Mcdaniels applied Scruggs logo and a by committee Scruggs logo then you don't know jack schitt- a mixture of wheat and chaff served with crow.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is why nobody and I mean no body takes these no logo Cue to Bob for his evaluation.

Could we assume a good exception would be a cue that lost the original butt cap?

Not saying this cue, but in general.

Not too much of a stretch of imagination to find cues that have had the butt cap lost completely and/or replaced by a repairman.

Many of these cues are old enough to have been inherited or estate-saled and sold off or abused by people that had no regard for them and perhaps been damaged.

Personally, if I suspected a cue was made in that shop, logo or not, I would take it to Bob Frey. Why would I take it elsewhere? Taking it elsewhere suggests suspicion regarding the origins of the cue.

He could say whatever he wanted, why would it hurt my feelings?

Of course, some aren't as pragmatic and I guess it might hurt their feelings and piss them off.

My point is that if it is suspected the cue came out of that shop, Frey is the best to look at it...regardless of any possible hurt feelings. No?

(By the way, this entire issue is a great learning experience for me, so I hope nobody perceives I am trying to butt heads over anything.)

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
He has no idea what people are doing putting a logo that Tim and he owned on anything.
Bob built them.
Bob asked me if he could send people my way to authenticate their work because he was to busy and didn't have time to in his opinion waste for them.
I refused.

BILL started making cues in the early/mid 70's, he began supplying TIM with components, to include blanks, in the late 80's and continued to do so well into the 90's. BILL may have discussed cue building with TIM, as he did with other cue-makers, however he never worked in the same shop or was tutored by TIM as far as i know.

Your assertion that BOB taught BILL how to build/make cues is BULL to the point that it isn't worthy of further discussion. Don't get me wrong, i have utmost respect for BOB's talent as a cue maker, but, lets not re-write history. When did BOB begin working for/with TIM?

The relationship between BILL & TONY ended with considerable drama, which i'm not at liberty to share. We all know "BLACK BOAR" cues to be one of the premier brands as of now.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, adam

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BILL may have discussed cue building with TIM, as he did with other cue-makers, however he never worked in the same shop or was tutored by TIM as far as i know.

I honestly don't know who made what or who taught who firsthand and would never claim to, I wasn't there.

But I am curious:

It has been published in the BB of Pool Cues that Bill was a "partner" in Scruggs' shop.

Can anybody comment on that?

If it is true, what exactly does it mean? What was the nature of the "partnership"?

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are wrong

BILL started making cues in the early/mid 70's, he began supplying TIM with components, to include blanks, in the late 80's and continued to do so well into the 90's. BILL may have discussed cue building with TIM, as he did with other cue-makers, however he never worked in the same shop or was tutored by TIM as far as i know.

Your assertion that BOB taught BILL how to build/make cues is BULL to the point that it isn't worthy of further discussion. Don't get me wrong, i have utmost respect for BOB's talent as a cue maker, but, lets not re-write history. When did BOB begin working for/with TIM?

The relationship between BILL & TONY ended with considerable drama, which i'm not at liberty to share. We all know "BLACK BOAR" cues to be one of the premier brands as of now.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, adam

Bill couldn't chuck a cue up let alone built anything before Bob and Tim taught him. I don't care what you say. They told me so. If you choose to believe one of the most full of crap rip off decal cue building people that ever built a Cue instead of Tom or Bob you sir are smarter than just about nobody I have ever met.
Merry Christmas. And call Bob so he can inform you just how wrong and gullible you are.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also

The Cue was not logoed by Bob. That is what the subject here is. No one really with any sense probably cares. But I can tell you I will never own a Cue built by Bill.
Ask his shop how he treated them. The only thing Bill did teach Tim was how to run his business. Bill was a business man. For only that Tim was grateful.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Cue was not logoed by Bob. That is what the subject here is. No one really with any sense probably cares.

That's really sweet of you.

Maybe some people do care. And maybe some of those who do happen to have some sense.

It certainly seems to matter to you, you started the thread. You essentially post a notice about it, then make a jab at anybody that cares by saying they have no sense?

If somebody is improperly marking cues, I care. That you posted about it seemed important to me. Should I disregard your posts about such matters or something?

Earlier I asked you about taking cues to Frey. You said nobody should take a cue without a logo to him because they would get their "feelings hurt". I suggested he would be the best person to take such a cue to, regardless of feelings. To get the final word on such a cue, who would be better?

You don't care to respond. But you'll toss out a blanket insult?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Bill couldn't chuck a cue up let alone built anything before Bob and Tim taught him.

Stick to things you know, not things you hear

I don't care what you say. They told me so.

i know BILL and his associates built hundreds, if not thousands, of cues before he began supplying blanks and other components to TIM in the late 80's.

If you choose to believe one of the most full of crap rip off decal cue building people that ever built a Cue instead of Tom or Bob you sir are smarter than just about nobody I have ever met.

i believe what i saw and heard---- while sitting in BILL'S office when he was speaking to TIM on a telephone a few months before i met with them at a major pool tournament in this area when they informed me of their business relationship.

WHO is your false comment about BILL, keeping in mind that he supplied blanks to TIM for many years, being a "rip off decal cue building people" hurt the most? WHAT did BILL rip off, WHEN and from WHO?

my smurts---a real dumm guy had a small co, factory and corp ofises in chi wit 2 udder satalite manufakturing facilitiees that made privite lable paint wit annual sales of $11m when he hired me in 76 as a plant manger for his mempis faciliti cause i thimk he dint want guyz smartur than him witch would makes him be litle. i waz sooo dumb and bad at my job that he mades me the vise prezidunt of oparasions in 1984. when he solt da co in 95 we was wit 7 facturees, 2000 peeps an sales of 500m, so, i waz able to go back to getting dumber at the age of 51 and i bin gettin dummer soooo fast, i lub it. How did you gets so smurt?

When did BOB start working for TIM, in what capacity?

Nick, your relaying what you heard and what you want to believe, what is your agenda?

How many one handed 9 packs have you run lately?

Best, adam

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It has been published in the BB of Pool Cues that Bill was a "partner" in Scruggs' shop.

To my knowledge, no, and I visited the shop from 1978 when Tim went on his own from Joss, up until Tim's death.

Tim went on his own in 1978, and later that year as I recall, Bob Frey joined him, as Tim was getting busy. It could have even been early 1979.

Somewhere around the late 80s, or about 1990, Bob Frey went on his own, and Mike Cochran joined Tim, pretty common knowledge. Either during the Frey years, or just the Cochran years, John Slavotnik (sp?) worked with Tim, mostly doing sneaky petes, as I recall.

There was also Bob Gawthrop who worked with Tim. He was only there in the Cochran years, and only in the old shop on Georgetown Road, the old meat building. Not in the new place on Leeds Avenue. This Bob only did customer orders, and simple things, like pressing wraps and things like that.

Not once did I ever see Bill McDaniel in the shop, in either location. I can't account for all times, but this is my memory.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly don't know who made what or who taught who firsthand and would never claim to, I wasn't there.

But I am curious:

If it is true, what exactly does it mean? What was the nature of the "partnership"?

In the early days of Scruggs Cues Bill and Tim were friends and Bill was a financial partner in Tim's business. At the time they were both making cues, Bill in Jackson TN and Tim in Baltimore. At times Bill would also help Tim in developing new inlay designs and would also do some collaborative work on some Scruggs cues with part of the work being done in each shop.

When Scruggs Cues closed up Bill was still financially invested.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

MERRY CHRISTMAS, adam

Rib, you are correct, Bill was building cues in the 70's and never worked for Tim or was apprenticed by Tim. By the way expect this thread to go away, that's what happened the last time I corrected Nick regarding his rant against Bill.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Rib, you are correct, Bill was building cues in the 70's and never worked for Tim or was apprenticed by Tim. By the way expect this thread to go away, that's what happened the last time I corrected Nick regarding his rant against Bill.

i hope Mike, Dave and/or other MODS will not allow this thread to be pulled, it's time for info to be shared, rumors put to bed and allow those interested draw their own conclusions

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob built them.
I refused.

Funniest thing I have ever read. I don't think I have ever seen you right about ANY authentication of ANY cue. But I have seen you wrong many times. The long and short of it is this: If Nick says it is "this", then you can bet your bottom dollar that it is "that".

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
He was....Bill had the money through his family business there was a time when Tim was strapped for cash.

But I am curious:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
"Bopper" Bob Gawthrop

To my knowledge, no, and I visited the shop from 1978 when Tim went on his own from Joss, up until Tim's death.

Tim went on his own in 1978, and later that year as I recall, Bob Frey joined him, as Tim was getting busy. It could have even been early 1979.

Somewhere around the late 80s, or about 1990, Bob Frey went on his own, and Mike Cochran joined Tim, pretty common knowledge. Either during the Frey years, or just the Cochran years, John Slavotnik (sp?) worked with Tim, mostly doing sneaky petes, as I recall.

There was another Bob who worked with Tim, gray heair and moustache, can't remember his last name. If I remember it, I'll edit. He was only there in the Cochran years, and only in the old shop on Georgetown Road, the old meat building. Not in the new place on Leeds Avenue. This Bob only did customer orders, and simple things, like pressing wraps and things like that.

Not once did I ever see Bill McDaniel in the shop, in either location. I can't account for all times, but this is my memory.

All the best,
WW

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
This is accurate.

In the early days of Scruggs Cues Bill and Tim were friends and Bill was a financial partner in Tim's business. At the time they were both making cues, Bill in Jackson TN and Tim in Baltimore. At times Bill would also help Tim in developing new inlay designs and would also do some collaborative work on some Scruggs cues with part of the work being done in each shop.

When Scruggs Cues closed up Bill was still financially invested.