Breaking with the 9 on the spot

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Any tips? This is new to me, has me kinda baffled. Anyone think they can pocket a ball with any consistency? I get nice spreads and control the cue ball pretty well but my make percentage is way down. Looking to make that 1 in the side but havent figured it out yet.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Break from the side rail and adjust your speed for pocketing the one in the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any tips? This is new to me, has me kinda baffled. Anyone think they can pocket a ball with any consistency? I get nice spreads and control the cue ball pretty well but my make percentage is way down. Looking to make that 1 in the side but havent figured it out yet.

At the Mosconi Cup a lot of players were still making the wing ball but it was with a cut break. The problem with it is that while the wing ball may go straight towards the corner, two other balls seem to converge on it and kiss it out a lot of the time.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its used for some womens tournments

Look back to 2007 ,watch some of the Womens Pro tournements- they are allowed to break this way at (The super billiards Expo is one tournment with coverage, Allison Fisher ,Karen Corr to name a couple have perfected it!! mark

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
At the Mosconi Cup a lot of players were still making the wing ball but it was with a cut break. The problem with it is that while the wing ball may go straight towards the corner, two other balls seem to converge on it and kiss it out a lot of the time.

There's actually a segment on this in my new DVD. The trick is not to focus on the wing ball, but rather the opposite corner ball. You adjust so that it cross banks and collides with the wing ball in front of the corner pocket. It's a timing shot that when done correctly, is actually very consistent.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Thanks guys. I noticed the same differences, the wing ball I rely on gets kicked out of the way most of the time. I watched the mosconi cup too. Looked to me that they were going for the 1 in the side with a soft/medium speed. I say that because I did see a couple of too soft, illegal breaks. (Not sure if it was 2 balls that had to cross mid table.) I also think using slight draw as opposed to follow will get that 1 ball closer to the side. If nothing goes in though, high risk of setting up a shot on the 1 down table.

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is not better to try to make the wing ball and play position on the 1? Never understood the reason why most of the people try to make the 1 in the side and then they find themselves hooked on the lowest numbered ball.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Is not better to try to make the wing ball and play position on the 1? Never understood the reason why most of the people try to make the 1 in the side and then they find themselves hooked on the lowest numbered ball.

Its that the wing ball is alot harder to make when you rack the 9 on the spot.