BRIDGE LENGTH Effects and Considerations

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What game? This is a bit of a challenge as I view you and Dr. Dave as having completely different worldviews that extend far beyond pool aiming systems.

For instance I’m merely a B.S. level engineer, I think Dr. Dave is going to smoke me in any math related game. Meanwhile, if we’re playing a game where we are rewarded for the best use of food stamps I’m quite sure you’re winning this one. I just don’t have the requisite experience.

Pool wise, yup I’m a casual player. Pool is a number 3 priority for me behind enjoying my life and securing enough funds that I can continue doing so. You can kill me at a pool table and I’ll still be enjoy it.
Hold on, I gotta go out and get a violin to play a sad song while reading all of your weaseling crybaby post. It just seems appropriate.
I'd use feel - unlike you, that fact doesn't give me hives.

You claimed to be able to shoot feel-free - now all you gotta do is describe your "objective" alignment.

pj <- more crickets
chgo
More PJ anti-feel posts when he was lucid:

Newsgroups: rec.sport.billiard
Date: 1998/04/21
Subject: Re: what is the triangle aiming system?
Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

>Understanding the carom tangent has become one of my aiming techniques in
>games that don’t require caroms. I believe this is partly what creates

intuitive >players

The carom tangent helps my aiming, too. Visualizing in tangible, physical
terms is always best for me, and seeing the contact point as the one which
will send the cue ball along the tangent line (assuming no draw or follow)
makes it all more "real" for me, actually helping me to align the contact
points more clearly. Of course, it also adds a lot to my visualization and
control of shape.

When Pat Johnson was somewhat LUCID:

One thing I consciously try to avoid, however, is "intuitive" shooting. To
me, this means unconscious use of information which is more effectively and
consistently used if done consciously. Consciously applied information also
becomes part of my shot-making "arsenal" applicable to less typical shots,
and another building block in my learning process (rather than one more
deposit into the intuitive "black box"). Also, when I'm "off" only the
things I can consciously apply will reliably get me back "on." Trying to
regain my "feel" is like groping around in the dark.
Pat Johnson

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'd use feel - unlike you, that fact doesn't give me hives.

You claimed to be able to shoot feel-free - now all you gotta do is describe your "objective" alignment.

pj <- more crickets
chgo
You've been told for the last 28 years by many who have been taught and trained by Hal Houle and Stan Shuffett, including me.
You refuse to listen because, well, you're the all-knowing Pat Johnson...King of internet pool forums. Dig it out of the old threads and posts that addressed everything you're looking for and more. You are now disintegrated! Not to be seen by me any longer.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You've been told for the last 28 years by many who have been taught and trained by Hal Houle and Stan Shuffett, including me.
Yet it can't be repeated once? Riiiiiight...

You are now disintegrated! Not to be seen by me any longer.
So you won't have to dodge questions any more - good move.

pj
chgo

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice video, thanks for posting it.

To a least one poster on here, quit worrying about aiming and work on something important, like learning how to let things go.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe but shooting with a level cue and extreme English is like shooting a mini masse shot. My shot isn't super common but after messing around with it for a bit I can see the potential value. I think I'm hitting it firm enough to not give the cue ball enough time to curve back after the initial squirt. Maybe I'm just choosing a different variable to focus on, but it sure seems easier to aim at least.
Yeah.
Hitting lower on cueball with faster speed can make most of swerve out from equation because most of it would happen after object ball is hit(hitting high on cueball make cueball swerve (almost) immediately). This of course works when OB is fairly close. From distance it won´t help so much, or at least one would need very fast speed to delay masse effects.
3-Cushion is game where many shots are easier to execute when using optimal english to make it easier to aim. Players then might choose the harder way to shoot it if they try defense same time, need manipulate kisses or play position.

Last edited:

Wayne Crimi

FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates advantages and disadvantages of both long and short bridge lengths. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:17 - Recommended Length
0:46 - Stroking Errors
1:46 - Aiming
2:11 - Stroke Accuracy
---- 3:15 - cue elevation
4:59 - Speed Control
---- 5:30 - quarters
---- 6:53 - power shots
---- 7:51 - finesse safety
9:39 - Natural Pivot Length
---- 10:46 - BHE errors
---- 12:40 - power break
14:04 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

This was excellent

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question dr dave, as I forgot....

The "squirt component only" of squirt + swerve + throw.... it's angle off of the cue tip is only affected by end mass, correct? Not speed. Not amount of english. Do I have that right?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quick question dr dave, as I forgot....

The "squirt component only" of squirt + swerve + throw.... it's angle off of the cue tip is only affected by end mass, correct? Not speed. Not amount of english. Do I have that right?

Correct. Squirt depends only on the shaft endmass and the amount of sidespin, not speed. See:

Net "CB deflection" (AKA squerve) depends on both squirt and swerve.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Correct. Squirt depends only on the shaft endmass and the amount of sidespin, not speed.
To be clear, the squirt angle does depend on the amount of spin (tip offset) - can’t tell for sure if that was agreed.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Yet it can't be repeated once? Riiiiiight...

So you won't have to dodge questions any more - good move.

pj
chgo
You dodged every question I asked you in this thread as well as for years and it's been your MO for decades. Why? Because
you can't play worth a damn, don't have the answers, and want to be thought of as someone who can and does as big man
on campus. Gotta love all the work that goes into those 2D drawings though.:ROFLMAO:
But to get back to the original question of yours which was how to aim a shot that was 25 degrees, how would YOU aim
for a close to exact half ball hit and visual? What do you see...what do you line up between balls and cue...what do YOU do?
Don't dodge the question now, you're the one who put it out there so own it.

But before you do, please tell me how YOU know that a shot is exactly 25 degrees? How is it calculated at the table with that
kind of exactness, especially from someone that now says he plays by "FEEL/INTUITION"?

(I didn't do what I said I was going to do, just wanted to see your reaction. Too bad if it got your hopes too high. Thanks for playing along.) :devilish:

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If he blocks dr_dave....that would be the ticket. We can learn and enjoy Dave's hard work without the drama.
I hope I don't get ignored.
Cuebuddy>>>can't stand ignorance :oops:
Click on my screenname. It will give you a choice to Ignore. Click that. You will then be able to eliminate my posts forever.
If you don't, it could show Ignorance on your part and that wouldn't be too smart, would it?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What game? This is a bit of a challenge as I view you and Dr. Dave as having completely different worldviews that extend far beyond pool aiming systems.
In many ways, probably so.
For instance I’m merely a B.S. level engineer,
Oh God, that's all this place needs is another engineer. When did pool become such a magnet game for engineers? Try cornhole instead.
I think Dr. Dave is going to smoke me in any math related game. Meanwhile, if we’re playing a game where we are rewarded for the best use of food stamps I’m quite sure you’re winning this one. I just don’t have the requisite experience.
ROTFLMAO! So, what is it that I do for a living that puts me in the food stamp category? Take as many guesses and swings as you can possibly take. It goes for anyone on here. This should be hilarious! We'll see who is most apt for the food stamp category.
Pool wise, yup I’m a casual player. Pool is a number 3 priority for me behind enjoying my life and securing enough funds that I can continue doing so. You can kill me at a pool table and I’ll still be enjoy it.
If it's such a low priority, why are you wasting so much time in this forum to begin with? Sounds like BS from a B.S. level engineer to me.

Last edited: