BRIDGE LENGTH Effects and Considerations

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes, as usual you weasel out. I remember two names who came and played but there were more. Jimbo and Fred. Are you going to deny it and say it never happened or and you have no clue who they are, or do I see what Fred has to say?
Please don’t let me stop you - keep digging your way out of that hole.

pj
chgo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates advantages and disadvantages of both long and short bridge lengths. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:17 - Recommended Length
0:46 - Stroking Errors
1:46 - Aiming
2:11 - Stroke Accuracy
---- 3:15 - cue elevation
4:59 - Speed Control
---- 5:30 - quarters
---- 6:53 - power shots
---- 7:51 - finesse safety
9:39 - Natural Pivot Length
---- 10:46 - BHE errors
---- 12:40 - power break
14:04 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
Nice job, Dave. This fully jives with my opinions on the subject. Until one has a very straight stroke, a very long bridge is an invitation to disaster.

What was new for me in this video was the idea that a loop bridge can possibly make the aiming process a little tougher than it would be with an open bridge as it may block the best possible view along the line of a shot. Even though it makes perfect sense, it is something I had never considered before.

Thanks for an insightful, well presented, video.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Please don’t let me stop you - keep digging your way out of that hole.

pj
chgo
I'm not in any hole. You are. Did you ever have a "get together" with a bunch of guys who posted on RSB to play some pool, see each other face to face, and have a good time? Yes or no? (just waiting for the weasel remark, denial, shifting of blame, or any other weak trick you always use) Was it the first time you ever met Fred and Jimbo?

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your claims, that others have an agenda, are laughable. It’s obvious, you are the one with an agenda. Reading your posts is almost painful, it’s like buying wheat from Russia. Sorting and sifting, trying to find a good kernel or two, it’s just not worth it. Scroll on by people, just scroll on by🤣

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spider, the thing is you follow Dr Dave around nearly every thread he makes and turn it into some CTE debate. This thread had nothing to do with it (nor do the vast majority of his other threads). It was factual information very concisely demonstrated. His entire video can easily be reproduced by any player.

Your obsession with him gives my obsession with Diamond rails being boingy the "5 out and the break, plus the handspan".

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Your claims, that others have an agenda, are laughable. It’s obvious, you are the one with an agenda.
Which is what?
Reading your posts is almost painful, it’s like buying wheat from Russia. Sorting and sifting, trying to find a good kernel or two, it’s just not worth it. Scroll on by people, just scroll on by🤣
Before you go and never come back, can you play "Light my Fire"?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Spider, the thing is you follow Dr Dave around nearly every thread he makes and turn it into some CTE debate. This thread had nothing to do with it (nor do the vast majority of his other threads). It was factual information very concisely demonstrated. His entire video can easily be reproduced by any player.

Your obsession with him gives my obsession with Diamond rails being boingy the "5 out and the break, plus the handspan".
I don't follow him around at all and could care what he does unless it's flawed. If you think everything he says and does is right on the money and law, you're wrong. My post to him was very clear on what he did and why I felt that way. Are you being boingy in your obsession with me? If not, goodbye. Don't respond.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice job, Dave. This fully jives with my opinions on the subject.
Thanks. I’m glad you liked it.

Until one has a very straight stroke, a very long bridge is an invitation to disaster.

Good point. I should have made this more clear in the video. I also should have mentioned that a longer bridge can be helpful to shorter players, allowing rhem to reach more shorts more easily.

What was new for me in this video was the idea that a loop bridge can possibly make the aiming process a little tougher than it would be with an open bridge as it may block the best possible view along the line of a shot. Even though it makes perfect sense, it is something I had never considered before.

I’m glad you learned something new. This is particularly important for players with their chin close to the cue.

Thanks for an insightful, well presented, video.
You’re welcome. And thank you again for your always-supportive and insightful posts.

SeniorTom

Thanks. I’m glad you liked it.

Good point. I should have made this more clear in the video. I also should have mentioned that a longer bridge can be helpful to shorter players, allowing rhem to reach more shorts more easily.

I’m glad you learned something new. This is particularly important for players with their chin close to the cue.

You’re welcome. And thank you again for your always-supportive and insightful posts.
The main reason I do not care for a long bridge length is my stroke is not always perfectly straight. With a longer bridge it makes the shot less accurate for me. I would imagine the majority of players would experience this issue and problem with a long Bridge length. Thanks!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The main reason I do not care for a long bridge length is my stroke is not always perfectly straight. With a longer bridge it makes the shot less accurate for me. I would imagine the majority of players would experience this issue and problem with a long Bridge length. Thanks!

I should have stressed this more in the video. A longer bridge is not a good choice if your stroke is not consistently straight.