Bright white spots in Purpleheart?

Zagiflyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I've come across a couple of pieces of purpleheart that have what looks like bright white colored flecks and veins in the grain. I thought it was just surface debris that got embedded in the grain but when I turned the wood down it was still there. Has anybody seen this before? Are these actually mineral deposits or something that grows into the wood? I don't think I can use this wood because, even though the flecks are small, the white against the purple is really going to stand out after finishing and look bad. Ideas?

Ken
 

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen that on a few pieces I have. They were both pretty lousy looking pieces anyway and purple heart is cheap, so I just tossed them. I'm not really sure what they are.
 

Easonscues

Easonscues.com
Silver Member
I was told it was sap,I had no clue tell then.It is not pretty but you can still use it for coring are put it under a wraped handle. Just my thoughts. Jeff Eason
 

Eric Wynne

Banned
I 've run into the same thing before but not sure what causes it . the pieces of mine had very small spots . I really like purple heart and have used it alot and it seems like the lower quality cuts have this character along with mineral streaks . Most suppliers don't know or care about the cuts they sell to cue makers and who can predict what surprise awaits you inside a piece of wood . I once had 10 squares of cocobolo that I almost threw in the trash until I turned them and they were fabulous . If these spots and streaks are unique , go with it ... Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder as someone says ...:cool:
 

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A signifiant amount of purpleheart has these streaks. They are mineral deposits picked up by the roots. They don't go away and they don't get better. As was mentioned, purpleheart makes a very good core and even with a 50% rejection rate it is still among the cheapest woods we use in cues.
 

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
one thing i've noticed that does help,
but doesnt always eliminate those spots is,
to spray clear on after wiping the wood down with thinner,
and spray while it's still wet
sometimes it works, sometimes it don't

if there's just a few, i'll take my pen i sign cues with, .20mm tip and dab the white spot and rub it in with my finger
the black almost blends in , a helluva lot less noticeable than the white spots

something i intend to try is to take a needle, heat it and hit the white spot with it

when i try that, i'll be sure and let yall know the results good or bad
 

Zagiflyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone, I'll see what I can do to cover the spots up or make them less noticable.
 

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Silica deposits?

A long time ago.
I had a Joss with white streaks.
Danny Janes told me they were Silica deposts in the wood.
I get those from time to time in Ebony and Cocobolo too.
'Causes havoc on a finished product.:sorry:
 

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As stated they are mineral deposits and you can take a small pick or pin and scrape them out. Fill the small scratchs with sanding sealer and finish as usual, they will not reappear.
 

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:
something i intend to try is to take a needle, heat it and hit the white spot with it

when i try that, i'll be sure and let yall know the results good or bad
I have scraped it out 1 grain line at a time before. I never tried heating the pick though. That was on some sneaky petes that were at finished size and there was not much white in them.
 

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can always stain the Purple Heart purple. Serves two purposes, makes these imperfections unnoticeable and helps keep the Purple Heart purple down the road.

Dick
 

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Paul, I was told it was a fungus by a wood supplier.

If you think you have it cured it will show up later even after the cue has left your shop.
 

nbll01

Albrecht Custom Cues
Silver Member
Reguarding the white spots in the wood. I have used a lot of P/H and if you use Minwax natural stain on the P/H before you finish it, I have never seen a time (from my own experience) that it didnt cover the white spots like they were never there. You can usually tell what pieces will have these spots by looking at the end grain and see if there present. Giving up the good stuff.....LOL.............Dave
 

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Zagiflyer said:
Recently I've come across a couple of pieces of purpleheart that have what looks like bright white colored flecks and veins in the grain. I thought it was just surface debris that got embedded in the grain but when I turned the wood down it was still there. Has anybody seen this before? Are these actually mineral deposits or something that grows into the wood? I don't think I can use this wood because, even though the flecks are small, the white against the purple is really going to stand out after finishing and look bad. Ideas?

Ken


Here are some photo's of an Early Brunswick 26 1/2 Purple Heart Pre-titlist that I am currently converting for an AZ member. The Purple Heart in this cue is approximately 100 years old, and it is streaked like you are talking about. I will include some photo's below.

4.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Are the discolorations in the first and second photo's what your talking about. This is very common in Brunswick cues from the 1920's on back. I hope this helps
 
Last edited:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
Here are some photo's of an Early Brunswick 26 1/2 Purple Heart Pre-titlist that I am currently converting for an AZ member. The Purple Heart in this cue is approximately 100 years old, and it is streaked like you are talking about. I will include some photo's below.

View attachment 86537

View attachment 86538

View attachment 86539

View attachment 86540

View attachment 86541

Are the discolorations in the first and second photo's what your talking about. This is very common in Brunswick cues from the 1920's on back. I hope this helps

That is not the white that I thought people were talking about. I was referring to the real white specs that looks like plaster of paris or rubbing compound that is sometimes seen in the grain of some Purple Heart.

Dick

DSC_0001-13.jpg
 
Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
rhncue said:
That is not the white that I thought people were talking about. I was referring to the real white specs that looks like plaster of paris or rubbing compound that is sometimes seen in the grain of some Purple Heart.

Dick

Dick, what are the streaks the Purple Heart in the photo's I added.
 

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Streaks in Purple Heart

I'll vote for mineral deposits. You can remove them with a small brass brush (like a tooth brush), blow out with air and fill the void with CA glue.
 
Top