Brunswick 150th Anniversary Titlist Joint Protectors

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
I was looking for joint protectors for my -R- OAk Titlist Conversion and I found these on Ebay. It says they are original Brunswick 150th Anniversary Titlist Joint Protectors. I never heard of them but I bought them anyway. Anyone ever heard of these? Mr Hoppe or Tate perhaps!!!

Thanks

Wedge
 

Attachments

  • $(KGrHqV,!rYE88g6(LOVBPWHcum13!~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!rYE88g6(LOVBPWHcum13!~~60_58.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 547
  • P1000087.jpg
    P1000087.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 587
  • P1000075.jpg
    P1000075.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 580
Well I'll be darn

Made in 1995.

A commemorative boxed set cue in a presentation case. Made by JOSS. You can see the joint protectors in the pics:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=92745


EDIT: I tend to know JOSS stuff pretty well, so that's what made this one easy. :thumbup:


.

Thanks, it amazes me the amount of knowledge on AZ. I would have taken countless hours to find that info. Dan Janes and I are good friends from back in the early 70's...Dan is a class act. I live about an hour from his shop in Towson, MD.

Thanks for your help...now I am glad I bought them for $23.95

Wedge
 
Brunswick 150th Annv. Cue

Hello,

Yes they are the real deal, I bought my 150th Annv. cue when they were announced and they went fast, still have it #063, mint in the shipping box direct from Brunswick.

The joint protectors are unique whereas the O.D. profile of the long joint protector has a slight transition diameter change, your picture shows it and mine is the same.

It would be interesting to find out from Joss how much silver is in the Joint sleeve, Butt Ring and the I.D. Plate. the cue came with a polishing cloth to prevent the silver from tarnishing.

Regards,

BBC
ID 063 Plate.jpg
 
Hello,

Yes they are the real deal, I bought my 150th Annv. cue when they were announced and they went fast, still have it #063, mint in the shipping box direct from Brunswick.

The joint protectors are unique whereas the O.D. profile of the long joint protector has a slight transition diameter change, your picture shows it and mine is the same.

It would be interesting to find out from Joss how much silver is in the Joint sleeve, Butt Ring and the I.D. Plate. the cue came with a polishing cloth to prevent the silver from tarnishing.

Regards,

BBC
View attachment 217390

I sent Dan Janes an email and ask him your question about the silver. He is probably at SBE so may take a while. Also he builds a lot of cues for over 40 years and may not remember. In any case I will share his response with you.

Wedge
 
Actually, I am really amazed you would find a set separately. I had no idea they would be available that way. Nice find I think.

Those cues are famous. I am betting Mr Janes remembers some things about them.

Generally I would expect them to be unplayed cues, but I seem to remember seeing one about five years ago for sale that had been played. I also seem to remember seeing one of the cases for sale a few years ago without the cue. Astonishing that they would become separated.



.
 
Dan Janes answered your question

Hello,

Yes they are the real deal, I bought my 150th Annv. cue when they were announced and they went fast, still have it #063, mint in the shipping box direct from Brunswick.

The joint protectors are unique whereas the O.D. profile of the long joint protector has a slight transition diameter change, your picture shows it and mine is the same.

It would be interesting to find out from Joss how much silver is in the Joint sleeve, Butt Ring and the I.D. Plate. the cue came with a polishing cloth to prevent the silver from tarnishing.

Regards,

BBC
View attachment 217390

Frank,
The joint of the cue is solid silver.
It was made just like a steel joint with internal threads.
The butt ring is about .062 thick silver ring.
When we made these for Brunswick they were sold out before we delivered the first one.
The pearl button on the bottom was put there to make sure that it was not played with but was kept as a collectable.
This worked ... some of the time.

Hope this helps,
Dan
 
Clarification

Nice pickup Dan. Can we see some photos of them on your cue?

If you are refering to the answer from Dan on my above thread that is Dan Janes co-founder of Joss cues. He made the Brunswick Anniversery cues and was kind enough to answer BBC's question about the silver.

Frank
 
Hmmmm...I have two sets of joint protectors that look identical to the one's in the OP (as far as wood/color/shape). Both sets are on two of my Schons (yep, 5/16x14). One of the sets is the same length for the shaft as you have pictured, while the other set is slightly longer than the one you have pictured...maybe mine were just a "knock-off" utilizing the same wood...I really like the looks of them...whatever mine are...
 
Yep Interesting

Hmmmm...I have two sets of joint protectors that look identical to the one's in the OP (as far as wood/color/shape). Both sets are on two of my Schons (yep, 5/16x14). One of the sets is the same length for the shaft as you have pictured, while the other set is slightly longer than the one you have pictured...maybe mine were just a "knock-off" utilizing the same wood...I really like the looks of them...whatever mine are...

Wow...Where did you get them and do you have any photos?

Frank
 
Frank,

I was already going to try and get you some pics tonight...both sets came with two Schons I picked up...I think...I move my j/p's around on cues to best match up with the color schemes of the cues...I didn't get them "new"...I know for sure they both came with cues I picked up...but I can't remember for sure which ones...

I'll try to get pics up later...

Jason
 
Cool

Frank,

I was already going to try and get you some pics tonight...both sets came with two Schons I picked up...I think...I move my j/p's around on cues to best match up with the color schemes of the cues...I didn't get them "new"...I know for sure they both came with cues I picked up...but I can't remember for sure which ones...

I'll try to get pics up later...

Jason

Whatever we both got they are neat!!!

Franke
 
Here's the pics I could get...the colors of yours appear to be more green than in my pics, but they're greener than they appear in the pics...

Mine are probably an attempt by someone to make them like yours...(e.g. "knock-off").

03130001.JPG

03130002.JPG

03130003.JPG
 
Here's the pics I could get...the colors of yours appear to be more green than in my pics, but they're greener than they appear in the pics...

Mine are probably an attempt by someone to make them like yours...(e.g. "knock-off").

View attachment 217844

View attachment 217845

View attachment 217846

these are not knock off's.. these are ones made by schon for their cues...

i think they call them iron wood or something.. they are just differnt shades of black..

the ones made by joss are made the same exact way but they chose to use the colors in the veneers for the tribute theme..

chris
 
It's called diamond wood actually. It's a multicolored laminate.

Not too hard to find diamond wood JPs, or get them made if you want them.

Here is a set on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-RESI...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f14e454a1#ht_500wt_1287

There is a cuemaker that does some neat diamond wood points. Cheaper cues....can't think of his name....hold on....be right back........


Oh yeah...here it is: http://www.simacues.com/index.html

I don't know the cues really, but I know he works with some diamond wood, even points made of it.




Bob Renis made diamond wood cues.....very stiff and heavy by all accounts.
 
Chris: I knew someone would know...thanks! ;)

Doc: I remembered the same info about diamondwood...in all "essence" it's basically plywood...if I correctly remember what the nay-sayers said of its' use...

these are not knock off's.. these are ones made by schon for their cues...

i think they call them iron wood or something.. they are just differnt shades of black..

the ones made by joss are made the same exact way but they chose to use the colors in the veneers for the tribute theme..

chris
 
Chris: I knew someone would know...thanks! ;)

Doc: I remembered the same info about diamondwood...in all "essence" it's basically plywood...if I correctly remember what the nay-sayers said of its' use...

Well...yeah....but plywood has the layers with perpendicular grain....the diamond wood grain is all parallel AFAIK......and it is very hard....infused with resins.

But people to refer to it as plywood....including me.


I think it has some interesting uses....including perhaps JPs. Being so hard I have wondered how it would fare as a ferrule or joint collar material. One could I suppose tailor the colors to be less loud and more coordinated artistically with the rest of the cue.
 
Well...yeah....but plywood has the layers with perpendicular grain....the diamond wood grain is all parallel AFAIK......and it is very hard....infused with resins.

But people to refer to it as plywood....including me.


I think it has some interesting uses....including perhaps JPs. Being so hard I have wondered how it would fare as a ferrule or joint collar material. One could I suppose tailor the colors to be less loud and more coordinated artistically with the rest of the cue.

OB's ferrules are made that way...If you think about it, isn't it the basic principle behind Predator and OB shafts...they're separate pieces of wood laminated together! Yet, if I remember correctly, there was a bit of a stink raised because of the use of "plywood" in the construction of Sima Cues...hmmmm....another what's good for the goose "isn't" good for the gander?!?! (You know I'm not talking about you...but rather the "nay-sayers"! ;) )

Anyway, I have to stay on your good side...who else am I going to pawn off my $35 saran wrap cue to???
 
Back
Top