Brunswick Centennial Balls - Yellow Color Question

threeputt

New member
Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find anything. My new table gets delivered this week and the place I purchased it from wants to sell me a set of Brunswick Centennial Balls. My problem is they have a sort of yellow look to them, the stripes are not white for sure, is this normal.
 
Smoking policy

threeputt said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find anything. My new table gets delivered this week and the place I purchased it from wants to sell me a set of Brunswick Centennial Balls. My problem is they have a sort of yellow look to them, the stripes are not white for sure, is this normal.

Is there smoking in the pool table area?

Regards,
H

Hell, I did not mean to segerate any smokers from the non-smokers but this may explain it.
 
Smoking shouldn't make any difference. Any of the high end balls from aramith, or saluc if you prefer, have a tendency for the phenolic resin to yellow. It is just a matter of aging, as said by methodman, but can also happen in a very short time, even while sitting in a warehouse, whether it be at your local supplier, or aramith. Hope this helps, Matt
 
Smoking ...

may not make a difference with pool balls but it will make a big difference on cue sticks .... Take that to the bank!
Regards,
H
 
Its an old set they used for display new in the box covered is always white in collr as they age from sun light they yellow. I just ordered a measle ball and it came yellow with the price tag still on it had to send it back and never delt with that company again.
 
n10spool said:
I just ordered a measle ball and it came yellow with the price tag still on it had to send it back and never delt with that company again.

Dang it :frown: !!! I ended up with that ball. No worries, mate :thumbup:, I didn't feel the need to send it back. Any ball that has measles, I don't care if it's a little yellow :D .

Maniac
 
The balls can also have a yellowish tint depending if the owners used a chlorine based cleaner.
 
First of all, thanks for all the replies.

The balls they are offering me are on their display rack and have a yellow tinge for sure. They are out of the sun and have not been used as far as I can tell. I have seen some photos of the balls on the web and the stripes appear to be white. I have no idea how long they have been in the store, the guy I am dealing with told me they are all this yellow color. Not much of selection where I am located, so have nothing to compare them against.
 
they arent all this color. they are probably old. go to the brunswick web site and i think they have nice pictures of the new balls. you should use it as a negotiating point :)
 
From my experience, flourescent lighting might be the reason for the yellow tint. I have played with many that turned white after extended use on the table. The abrasiveness of the cloth will eventually wear the balls down.
 
I would bet the balls are old. Like decade(s). If there are no scratches or chips, I wouldn't worry too much about them, if they are then I would pass on them.

Can't you buy them off the internet? Are they part of a package you are buying?
 
Black-Balled said:
I would bet the balls are old. Like decade(s). If there are no scratches or chips, I wouldn't worry too much about them, if they are then I would pass on them.

Can't you buy them off the internet? Are they part of a package you are buying?

They are part of the centennial play package that includes cues, racks, chalk etc. I could buy them separately I suppose. These have probably been sitting in the store for quite while, no idea how long though.
 
threeputt said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find anything. My new table gets delivered this week and the place I purchased it from wants to sell me a set of Brunswick Centennial Balls. My problem is they have a sort of yellow look to them, the stripes are not white for sure, is this normal.

Click on this link and it will answer your question.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=17516&highlight=yellow
 
Yeah, as a package there is less flexibility. Again, if they have a (glossy and unscratched) new finish, no issues other that appearance. A fine set of balls.

That said, I don't think they are worth full price, as they are no longer fully new condition...
 
Back
Top