brunswicks and diamonds

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think knife edge rubber banks longer AND shorter than traditional snooker rubber, which is flat edged. Pool rubber is more responsive and therefore gives a player more options So I prefer playing snooker on American 5x10 snooker tables.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Diamond changed the cushion reaction from the tried and trued GC cushion reaction of the prior decades on purpose. Now 30 years later we are stuck with pinball machines and abnormal angles. I wish they would just copy the GC rail exactly. Use the same subrail material. Same exact geometry for the cushion to glue to. And buy the cushions from the same supplier Brunswick does. Diamond tried to improve the cushions, but made them far worse, imo.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't think Diamond changed the cushion reaction from the tried and trued GC cushion reaction of the prior decades on purpose. Now 30 years later we are stuck with pinball machines and abnormal angles. I wish they would just copy the GC rail exactly. Use the same subrail material. Same exact geometry for the cushion to glue to. And buy the cushions from the same supplier Brunswick does. Diamond tried to improve the cushions, but made them far worse, imo.
The early GC rubber was terrific...at least for me....but by GCIII, it stunk.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So many thing affect banking that no table banks "true" every shot. I think a snooker table banks closer than a pool table but I don't get to play on one often. Interestingly, the championship Riley's have steel subrails, top snooker players can tell the difference! Now they are playing on some tables from china, star brand I think. Painted gold legs, they look cheap and terrible to me! No idea how they play, probably being played on because of money considerations.

To my way of thinking, a gold crown banks a little longer than a blue label and the blue label banks a little longer than a red label. A seven foot blue label doesn't have enough running room to get too far off and banks sweet.

I can be happy on any quality table. Somebody tried to start a hall with off brand home tables, cross side banks were about four inches short. I considered adjusting but decided no need, I wasn't coming back anyway!

Hu
The steel block option, to me, is an additional expense to make up for an inferior bolting system.
...wood block snooker tables from overseas tend to bank lazy with a hollow thud.
...interested in RKC’s appraisal.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yeah, so I hear. But 4, 5, and 6 rubber is terrific again. Diamond has had weird rubber for 30 years.
2016 DCC....whatever Diamond did then was just fine...I could do everything that I did on Anniversaries and early GCs

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For most of us, 1985 was about 15 years ago. At least that's what my mind thinks first. Then reality hits....damn I went and got old.
85 is the year I started going to proper pool rooms. Before that I played in arcades etc. ya don’t feel that long ago-until I start to think of all that I’ve done since then. No real regrets, missed out on a few things.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The steel block option, to me, is an additional expense to make up for an inferior bolting system.
...wood block snooker tables from overseas tend to bank lazy with a hollow thud.
Well, those wood block rails have rail bolts too, and they tend to come loose just like any other pool, billiards, or snooker table does.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think deader rails and banking longer are linked - the rail's crosstable rebound force is reduced, "lengthening" the rebound angle. The reverse may be why Diamonds bank shorter.

pj
chgo
I would agree with this- Diamonds play so fast that it feels like I am playing pool on an ice rink- the cue ball control aspects are completely different than any other table that I encounter.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And something to think about, the steel rail block bolts in with the T-rail design, which also means they can cut the slate dimensions down by 3 1/2" all the way around, that drops a lot of weight off those slates, but you're still relying on the tensile strength of the steel blocks, and the mounting bolts to hold that steel in place when the balls are banked against them....but balls banked on a snooker table is rarely done too.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well, those wood block rails have rail bolts too, and they tend to come loose just like any other pool, billiards, or snooker table does.
I know a room that put Northern tournament rubber on a 6x12 GC
It played every bit as good as a British tournament table
Over the years, I had chances to buy Arcade 6x12 snooker tables..
I passed because of the T-rails
Did I do the right thing, Glen?

I think the Arcades and Klings are the best looking tables ever

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I know a room that put Northern tournament rubber on a 6x12 GC
It played every bit as good as a British tournament table
Over the years, I had chances to buy Arcade 6x12 snooker tables..
I passed because of the T-rails
Did I do the right thing, Glen?

I think the Arcades and Klings are the best looking tables ever
Those antique T-rails are a flaw in their design for sure. No matter how they're rebuilt, the balls will still lose energy off the banks. But, knowing how to rebuild them does play a major roll in how they will play once finished. The 1912 Regina 5x10 billiard table i just rebuilt produced 10 rail banks once finished, without heated slates.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I would agree with this- Diamonds play so fast that it feels like I am playing pool on an ice rink- the cue ball control aspects are completely different than any other table that I encounter.
Just saying, cloth on the table has a lot of effect on how the table plays too, Predator cloth is fast as hell on ANY table, so don't always think the speed of the table is coming from the rails on that table, there's a lot of other reasons that make that table play like that....but its always blamed on the make of the table!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yeah, so I hear. But 4, 5, and 6 rubber is terrific again. Diamond has had weird rubber for 30 years.
So I haven't had to replace rock hard cushions on the GC4's or 5's....thank you for telling me that, must be my imagination that I've had to do that. Maybe you know more about pool tables than I do😅😍

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hell, why don't Diamond just go into building Gold Crowns since you like them so much! Hey, I have a better idea, why don't you just tell Brunswick to produce more Gold Crowns!! What's funny, is there's 100's of people here on AZB that own Diamond tables, yet not one of them share your opinions on the Diamonds....why is that?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hell, why don't Diamond just go into building Gold Crowns since you like them so much! Hey, I have a better idea, why don't you just tell Brunswick to produce more Gold Crowns!! What's funny, is there's 100's of people here on AZB that own Diamond tables, yet not one of them share your opinions on the Diamonds....why is that?
You might wanna ask Jay .
He is a banks player and owns a Diamond.