Buddy Hall

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I was wondering the same thing as are others.

His reply will only be that people are trolling him.

I truly wonder with all the lessons what is hoped to be achieved and Buddy isn't a teacher in the traditional sense, much better to play him cheap sets.

Why do you think he can help you anymore than anybody else has?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I was wondering the same thing as are others.

... Buddy isn't a teacher in the traditional sense, much better to play him cheap sets ....

Have to disagree here. Over 40 years ago, Buddy advanced the theory on 9-ball position play, further developing methods for angle management and what he used to call "the clock system," which also introduced the concept of position quadrants. Perhaps he not the right guy to fix your stroke, but you won't learn the position play theory he developed and advocated just by playing him.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to disagree here. Over 40 years ago, Buddy advanced the theory on 9-ball position play, further developing methods for angle management and what he used to call "the clock system," which also introduced the concept of position quadrants. Perhaps he not the right guy to fix your stroke, but you won't learn the position play theory he developed and advocated just by playing him.
I agree. Buddy is a top-notch teacher. Knows the game inside-n-out and can explain it very clearly. Would rather listen to him than just about any teacher without his 'in the trenches' credentials.

MachineGunKelly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with SJM and Gar. Buddy is an amazing teacher in every aspect. He's a great communicator and his knowledge of pool is as good as any person ever. I've had lessons from Buddy when he was in OKC at Truelove's on 44th and May. I still use the things he taught me every time I play.

bb9ball

Registered

Is his system/theory documented anywhere?

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
I know Accu Stats used to have a Buddy Hall instructional on their site that I really enjoyed; can't seem to find it on the new Vimeo setup though, so not sure if they still have it for rent/purchase. Aside from that though, any of his Accu Stats matches that you can get your hands on are worth it. I think he and Mizerak's technique and position play are timeless and always worth watching...just amazing players those two.

Best of luck on getting your education from him! :eek:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Great stuff here! Buddy KNOWS! He told me something about position a long time ago that I never forgot. Actually two things. First he told me to play position where the cue ball is rolling ALONG the position line as opposed to rolling ACROSS the position line. I think you can figure that one out for yourselves. The second thing may sound simplistic but I see good players today making this error from time to time. Buddy said, "You don't need to play position when you already have it!" In other words, it's okay to take a slightly longer shot or a cut shot, rather than trying to get marginally better position. Less room for error this way.

I am just wondering if Buddy is still carrying all that weight (probably over 400 pounds). Maybe someone who sees him occasionally can answer that. He must have a very strong heart!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Buddy said, "You don't need to play position when you already have it!" In other words, it's okay to take a slightly longer shot or a cut shot, rather than trying to get marginally better position. Less room for error this way.

Right on, Jay! I'll add to this that Buddy was a little more willing to accept short side shape, when getting it was really simple, than his contemporaries.

Buddy Hall really is the best position play technician that America has ever produced, and those who have the opportunity to study his play will learn a lot.

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right on, Jay! I'll add to this that Buddy was a little more willing to accept short side shape, when getting it was really simple, than his contemporaries.
Buddy Hall really is the best position play technician that America has ever produced, and those who have the opportunity to study his play will learn a lot.

SJM,
I've bought several Accu-Stats DVDs over the last few years of the Sands Regency in Reno and the US Open. I made it a point to buy some of Buddy's matches to try and study him.

I hope I get the chance to go over and visit with him and talk with him. It would be interesting to chat with him about the old Sands Regency tournaments in Reno, about Grady, about position play, about his matches with Nick Varner, etc.

r/DCP

Reactions: sjm

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Greenway

He "gave" lessons to many of the top players in the country while he was in Shreveport. :thumbup:

Buddy used to make it down to Greenway in Baton Rouge. Lambert started off with some thousand dollar added tournaments, got down to $250. Buddy was always down there for the tournaments when they were $1000 added in the seventies, sometimes just showed up.

I noticed a lot of damned good players in their own right always gathered around Buddy like the king and his court. Told me all I needed to know, very very tough action! Of course I tried to play Keith in Greenway, I wasn't all that bashful as a youngster.

Hu

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been two days now and havent heard anything. I'll give it to early next week and then I will try calling again.

r/DCP

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Our generation learned from Luther Lassiter and Don Watson, two of the best position players of their era. Both played "short side" position frequently. If you get the cue ball close to the object ball the next shot is very easy!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have heard this story
buddy was watching a potential opponent
he said (paraphrased)
i can beat him
his backer said why
buddy said
i play position within 12 inches
he plays position within 18 inches........:eek:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Great stuff here! Buddy KNOWS! He told me something about position a long time ago that I never forgot. Actually two things. First he told me to play position where the cue ball is rolling ALONG the position line as opposed to rolling ACROSS the position line. I think you can figure that one out for yourselves. The second thing may sound simplistic but I see good players today making this error from time to time. Buddy said, "You don't need to play position when you already have it!" In other words, it's okay to take a slightly longer shot or a cut shot, rather than trying to get marginally better position. Less room for error this way.

I am just wondering if Buddy is still carrying all that weight (probably over 400 pounds). Maybe someone who sees him occasionally can answer that. He must have a very strong heart!

A M E N!

I remember a commentator doing critics on Shaw and in the same time also on Filler-- that they wouldn t play the correct shots--
Just have shown, that this commentator has slept in the last two decades. Technically the Pool Elite advanced a ton- shooting straighter than the Elite did 2 decades ago.
so they re able to take this 2metres long shot which presents already a correct position instead of trying to get 2 feet nearer......to have an easier shot.

That s something you should learn as early as possible-
Good points in your two postings Jay Helfert- very good points :)

middleofnowhere

Registered
i have heard this story
buddy was watching a potential opponent
he said (paraphrased)
i can beat him
his backer said why
buddy said
i play position within 12 inches
he plays position within 18 inches........:eek:
That sounds profound but I would disagree and think Buddy would as well. In 9 ball getting too close is not that good. It is a mistake a lot of straight pool players make and hurts their 9 ball game. When you get too close that wedge area you are going for to get to the next ball gets very small when you are too close.

It is the first thing you notice when you watch Efren play. He doesn't care that much about being a little farther away. He is more concerned about the correct angle. Watch a few videos on youtube of most of the Filipino players. They all seem to play like that. A little distance it fine within reason.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Does anyone know if Buddy ever played 14.1 and what his high run is? His technically precise and cerebral position play is like tailor made for 14.1. I'd reckon he'd be magnificent to watch playing some straight pool.