Can a player hit down ?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Depends on how far you need to send object ball and your skills.
Here is a shot that is pretty much standard for carom players at the forms of the game that don't require rail contact. The idea is to make the carom and gather the balls together at the end.

CropperCapture[93].png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is always an angle. Just hold your cue straight up like a masse shot or shoot away from the ball as close to a 90 degree angle as possible..
An alternative is to learn the several standard techniques of playing straight at a close ball without a double hit.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we need to get away from all the rule of thumbs. A double hit evidences itself. Knowing what the CB should do and watching it do what it shouldn’t do is pretty clear. Draw shots don’t act like force follow. Force follow doesn’t drag race the object ball. Tangent lines are still the baseline for trajectory expectations.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we use a simple rule: if the balls are less than a chalk-cube apart you have to shoot at an angle or jack way up. pretty much eliminates all bitching/whining about a double-hit.

This does not actually make the hit legal, you can still foul shooting this way. TAP uses a rule like this, and I always found it silly because it basically states that if you look like you won't foul, that means you did not foul. We should use the actual shot to see if it's a foul or not. It's not too hard to explain shots like this to people. I just recently played with someone who played for decades, had no idea how to legally hit a close ball, he must have shot 4-5 push and double-hit shots when playing me. League rules and "bar rules" do that to people, they play pool but are not aware of the actual rules.

Last edited:

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be a catastrophe if the 8-ball and rotation games rule-makers just eliminated the double-hit on the cue ball rule? I say - "Let 'em play on" if it is a single stroke (not a push), and the cue tip doesn't hit the object ball. Slow-motion camera shows many double-hits for previously presumed legal hits. BCA regional referees have made a travesty of the official double-hit rule, by allowing unwritten 'rules of thumb' that also filter down to the local BCA leagues and training for new players. If BCA leagues can't effectively enforce their written rule, then remove it.
Allowing the so-called double-hit on the cue ball would allow another 'skill' to be added to a players arsenal.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you describe (or point to descriptions of) a couple? The only one I know for sure is bumping the grip hand into the rail.

My technique is to shoot something else.

pj
chgo
Good question Patrick, I was going to ask myself but you beat me too it. Always ready and willing to learn new techniques.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that, thank you. But does it say that if you put enough spin on the ball then it's not a foul? The sentence I am referring to in my post, in my opinion, is too vague to mean to mean anything. Is the rule really that subjective?
A double hit has nothing to do with the angle of the cue stick or the back spin on the cue ball. Most elevated spin shots like that are fouls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you describe (or point to descriptions of) a couple? The only one I know for sure is bumping the grip hand into the rail.

My technique is to shoot something else.

pj
chgo
Extremely forward grip.
Down sweep
Slapping into the palm (from Willie Hoppe)
Fouette
Simply doing a short stroke

All of these take practice. You have to judge within a millimeter or two where the cue ball is or your stroke will be too long.

The fouette won't work for the shot in the diagram, or at least it won't work for me.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Extremely forward grip.
Down sweep
Slapping into the palm (from Willie Hoppe)
Fouette
Simply doing a short stroke

All of these take practice. You have to judge within a millimeter or two where the cue ball is or your stroke will be too long.

The fouette won't work for the shot in the diagram, or at least it won't work for me.
Thanks. Now that you mention them, I remember hearing about all of these one time or another.

pj <- forgot my oldtimer's disease
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we need to get away from all the rule of thumbs. A double hit evidences itself. Knowing what the CB should do and watching it do what it shouldn’t do is pretty clear. Draw shots don’t act like force follow. Force follow doesn’t drag race the object ball. Tangent lines are still the baseline for trajectory expectations.
Not on very thin hits.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not on very thin hits.
I’m sorry. I’m not clear on what part of my statement you are challenging and how thin hits play into it. But I would acknowledge that what you’re looking for with a bad hit is different depending on the scenario. There’s always exceptions and many usually aren’t worth bringing up (like the passing lane trick shot). But for what comes up as a questionable double hit, there’s pretty much always something unnatural begging to be observed.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m sorry. I’m not clear on what part of my statement you are challenging and how thin hits play into it. But I would acknowledge that what you’re looking for with a bad hit is different depending on the scenario. There’s always exceptions and many usually aren’t worth bringing up (like the passing lane trick shot). But for what comes up as a questionable double hit, there’s pretty much always something unnatural begging to be observed.
A double hit won't necessarily reveal itself on a thin hit. The angle will look the same and the time span of the event will be far too short.