Can anyone ID all these players?

JimmyD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Picture...

I can see Louie Roberts, Efren Reyes, Jimmy Reed, Dan Louie, Steve Mizerak, Jimmy "Flyboy" Spears, Buddy Hall, Fatty aka Minnesota Fats, and maybe Allen Hopkins. If you notice the tournament was also sponsored by Pepsi and Budweiser! Imagine if those two giants still promoted the game!!!

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy on the right looks like Lou Butera.

To the left of Sigel looks like a short Mike Massey. To the left of him could be Buddy Hall.

All the way on the left is John Ritter? Strange...

5th from the left looks a bit like Efren.

Poking out behind the guy with the microphone:
-left could be a young Miz
-right could be Rempe

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guesses on some but off the top o' me head, from L to R:

David Howard; Paul “Doc” Brienzia; could be “St. Louie” Louie Roberts; don’t know, but could be “Hawaiin" Brian Hashimoto; don’t know the lady; Spock; Dan Louie; Steve “The Miz” Mizerak; don’t know, maybe the tournament director listed as Barry Bettencourt; “King” Jim Rempe; Ronnie Allen; Buddy “The Rifleman” Hall; Fats; Allen Hopkins; Mike Sigel; don’t know; “Machine Gun” Lou Butera.

Lou Figueroa

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy in the middle with the microphone is Barry Bettencourt. He was the owner of Ferroni's.

Last edited:

Teacherjohn

Registered
since I DREW THE POSTER I know them all left to right, me, Dave Ferroni, Audie Perez Stu Kurland, Bob Wong, Dan Louie, Steve Mizerak, Baarry Bettencourt, Jim Rempe, Ronnie Allen, Buddy Hall, Minnesota Fats, Allen Hopkins, Mike Sigel, Richie Florence, Lou Butera. This was for Barry's St.Patricks tournament About 20 years ago.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
since I DREW THE POSTER I know them all left to right, me, Dave Ferroni, Audie Perez Stu Kurland, Bob Wong, Dan Louie, Steve Mizerak, Baarry Bettencourt, Jim Rempe, Ronnie Allen, Buddy Hall, Minnesota Fats, Allen Hopkins, Mike Sigel, Richie Florence, Lou Butera. This was for Barry's St.Patricks tournament About 20 years ago.

Who is the chick. Also you listed 16 and there are 19 in drawing, who are the others and which position are they?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is the chick. Also you listed 16 and there are 19 in drawing, who are the others and which position are they?

Since we all know Spock didn't play pool... I guessed the "girl" was either Joan Jet
or Patti Smith.

Teacherjohn

Registered
The girl is no one in particular, just a pool hall groupie. The little boy is Jason Kurland, Stu Kurland's son. Neither Stu nor his son play pool. He just insisted I draw him in the poster. Spock is Spock. Just felt like drawing him. This is now a collectors item as I don't even have a copy for me.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great poster and awesome talent with the drawings.

John, did you do those old posters at Reds tournaments?

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great.Poster

All that talent at a $40 open tournament

We could sure use a St Patrick's day tournament this year.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really fine artrwork John! You captured those players perfectly...and talk about a 'rogue's list'. LOL You should see if the owner might do some kind of deal with you to reproduce and sell the poster. It's an authentic item to the period!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

YUP. that was me. go to my Facebook page and check out my artwork. John Coito

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The girl is no one in particular, just a pool hall groupie. The little boy is Jason Kurland, Stu Kurland's son. Neither Stu nor his son play pool. He just insisted I draw him in the poster. Spock is Spock. Just felt like drawing him. This is now a collectors item as I don't even have a copy for me.

John, great drawing you are very talented! As far as the groupie, all pool rooms need groupies like this --- early Britany teeeeets and an Elvira face lol! Gotta love it!

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for identifying the people included in the drawing. My first thought was that Bob Wong was one of the characters.

I left Modesto in 1986. Of the pool rooms where I have played, Ferroni's in the early 80's was my favorite. I spent a lot of hours there.