can i see your milk dud's installed?

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
Hi everyone.

Ive had an issue getting milk duds installed. Especially on tip diameters of that of a 11.75 - 12.5mm

I wouldn't say it's the tip, but some have blown out when cutting them back on the lathe and i get a note saying that it couldn't be done.

Mind you there is next to no one local to me who installs tips so its not like i can shop around for a cue smith.

The last one installed on a turned down 314-2 is really flakey and I'm struggle to get the tip smooth.

Would you guys mind showing me how your milk duds look installed so I know how they should be finished?

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
Thankyou for posting those pics.

Is your tip 12.75?

Im thinking as soon as the cue smith has to chop too much back for smaller diameter ferrules, the inside must be weaker and blow out.

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
Photo may have worked this time. Here is the cue smiths last attempt on a turned down 314-2.

Attachments

• 314 tip.jpg
    314 tip.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,377

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
Jeff on azb.

He has been good to me and had lot of good feedback from azb users

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Sorry I didn't take a picture, but I use Jeff's duds on a 11.75 mm shaft and mine hold their shape and burnish up pretty nice. Nothing like your picture above. Think your installer might be the issue.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I accidentally got my case wet one time and the tip soaked up the water and expanded like that. It was my own fault, and I've never had a problem other than that though.

Maybe your installer is using some kind of liquid when finishing the tip?

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
Sorry I didn't take a picture, but I use Jeff's duds on a 11.75 mm shaft and mine hold their shape and burnish up pretty nice. Nothing like your picture above. Think your installer might be the issue.

Thanks mate. Thats what I was hoping to hear. Cheers.

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
I accidentally got my case wet one time and the tip soaked up the water and expanded like that. It was my own fault, and I've never had a problem other than that though.

Maybe your installer is using some kind of liquid when finishing the tip?

I can see what you mean. Liquid maybe the issue.

Problem is to get a tip replaced i have to leave the shaft, tip and a posted note at the pool hall and pick up two days later.

Both cuesmiths available a over an hour from my area.

wixo3

welp
Silver Member
Thankyou for posting those pics.

Is your tip 12.75?

Im thinking as soon as the cue smith has to chop too much back for smaller diameter ferrules, the inside must be weaker and blow out.

Yes 12.75, I think if he does a good job burnishing the edges you should be fine on a smaller diameter. Btw my duds are also from jeff and my cue guy says they install pretty easy, and I've had no issues with it mushrooming or glazing.

JIMMY L

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Milk Dud's

The best Milk Dud's that I have ever used or installed are from Mike Johnson of Jensen Cues.

CueRepair001.jpg

IMG_7447.jpg

IMG_7451.jpg

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi David
Not sure why the tips are doing this. I have always taken very small cuts on the tip to reduce the heat on the leather itself. I`ve never used water or liquid when cutting down any of my tips. I also use 1000 or 2000 grit sandpaper to burnish the sidewalls of tip, then use a piece of leather to finish the burnishing as well. You can also tape off the ferrule & use a black or brown sharpie to dress the sidewall up as well. Not sure how close you are to azer ''conetip'' but he also lives in Sidney, Australia. He has used a lot of my tips in the past with great success. Hope this helps Let me know if I can help in any other ways.
Have a nice day
Jeff

My mistake David, conetip lives in New Zealand, not Australia. Its been a rough couple of days for me. Check the PM I sent you. Hope he can help
Jeff

Last edited:

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
Looks like your installer is using a dull cutting bit instead of using a sharp razor blade.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have no idea what your cuesmith has been doing? Actually a Milk dud is much easier to work with than a standard elk master IMO. The compressed leather cuts much cleaner. I bet you could do a lot better job than he has, with a little patience and a razorblade. You don't even need a lathe to get a nice fit. But...If your tip is very much larger than the shaft diameter, it's easier if you do a rough cut first with a sharp knife, then do the razorblade method. Just putting it out there. I'm going to change the tip on my snooker cue by hand, and I'm planning to use an elkmaster milkdud, in a couple of days. I can show you the results, if you are interested.

A very good video, showing the steps needed to do a professional tip by hand. The clear layer is not on the milkdud, obviously. Also you don't have to buy the special japanese knife. A hobby knife for rough cuts and a razorblade for the spinning cuts will do fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TKkgHfL4s

Last edited:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your cue guy must be cutting with something very dull. I know that whenever
I've had a single leather tip installed my cue guy will burnish the sides with a drop
of super glue, works like a charm.