Can't stand APA 9-ball

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the op - perhaps it will help if you think of it as just straight rotation only with nine balls?

Took me a bit to get used to it, I play as an SL8, but struggle with the spots. A couple of hangars or badly played safeties generally are my downfall. Still have a lot of fun, and that is what it is about!

I guess it will just take a while for me to get use to it. I have only played 4 9-ball games.

xxroodoggxx

xxroodoggxx
Silver Member
You can also try APA masters. It's 8 an 9 ball an counts the games won not balls made. Push out after break and also jump cues allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. **roo$t@r**

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
APA scoring in 9-ball

You might try to find another league that plays real 9-ball.

APA rules have altered the game - it is not 9-ball.

USAPL is a handicap system which has a much better scoring system for 9-ball.

Can contact our office (702-719-7665) for more info.

Mark Griffin
CSI- BCAPL - USAPL

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might try to find another league that plays real 9-ball.

APA rules have altered the game - it is not 9-ball.

USAPL is a handicap system which has a much better scoring system for 9-ball.

Can contact our office (702-719-7665) for more info.

Mark Griffin
CSI- BCAPL - USAPL

napa is real 9 ball also. you have to call the 9 to win the game.

after almost a year playing napa i find no problems with their handicaping system.

i play apa 9 ball and it did take some getting used to scoring points instead of winning matches by pocketing the 9 ball.

i would still rather play apa 9 ball instead of bcapl 8 ball which is a points based game also.

in apa 9 ball you have to score individual points to win your match. in bcapl 8 ball you just have to score points for your team.

the following situation has come up more than once in bcapl 8 ball.

your team needs only 1 point to win the match. your opponents team needs 6. you can hit your opponents ball knocking in your ball and win the match. your opponent has 3 balls plus the 8 ball left. even if he took ball in hand after your foul and ran the table his team lost the match by 1 point.

i want no part of a league that allows you to make an illegal hit to win.

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss too many shots to play apa 9 ball. I would have to come in as a 7 because I'm a 7 in 8 ball.
I can't shoot any better than a good 4.

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its better doing the points, you need to imploy a different strategy dude. you have to think about shooting those shots that are an iffy proposition, cuz if you miss your going to give up a lot of points! so you play defense instead. combos are not worth going for unless its the only option to end game, i.e no other way to run the balls. I'm a sl9 in apa, its a good system for playing people of different skills.
the only thing that sucks is no push outs in apa, they need to change that rule, it's unlucky to get hooked after break, whoever steps to table, thats why you have a push out. so, you need to just know your strategy about the points, you will appreciate it better! it's a good system to me.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
9-ball

Lorider,

Your info is bad. The BCAPL does not have any scoring system like you described. The BCAPL has 500 leagues - they are all run as the local operator wants. So each one can be different.

The national tournament is not handicapped.

I was referring to USAPL when responding to the OP comments on 9-ball.

Robert, if you need clarification on our policies and procedures, please contact me.

Mark Griffin,
702-719-7665

napa is real 9 ball also. you have to call the 9 to win the game.

after almost a year playing napa i find no problems with their handicaping system.

i play apa 9 ball and it did take some getting used to scoring points instead of winning matches by pocketing the 9 ball.

i would still rather play apa 9 ball instead of bcapl 8 ball which is a points based game also.

in apa 9 ball you have to score individual points to win your match. in bcapl 8 ball you just have to score points for your team.

the following situation has come up more than once in bcapl 8 ball.

your team needs only 1 point to win the match. your opponents team needs 6. you can hit your opponents ball knocking in your ball and win the match. your opponent has 3 balls plus the 8 ball left. even if he took ball in hand after your foul and ran the table his team lost the match by 1 point.

i want no part of a league that allows you to make an illegal hit to win.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The format and handicapping in the APA are well done. Of course if you have an alternative scoring system, your strategy will have to change with it. What im more curious about it is...why is a an SL8 complaining about anything? At this point you should kinda...."get" the APA and what its about. If your worried about losing because of the format as an 8, maybe you should move on to the BCA or go play some open tournaments and see how you fare in "real" 9 ball.:rolleyes:

flash5153

none
Silver Member
Every time I see a post about APA it reminds me of the guy eating hot peppers!!!!!

And then *****ing about how hot they are,,,and how they burn his lips!!!!

And how someone should change the taste of them!!!!!!

lmao

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I Just got done with my 9-ball match and lost again. I really hate the way the APA scores their matches. I won almost every game but lost the match. I mean how messed up is this. How can you let someone with when they lost 90% of the games be called a winner.

I grew up playing defensive and waiting for the perfect out and I would win that way. But now that they got this point system in place apparently winning isn't important and has taken defensive long run strategy out of the picture and tuned this into a purely offensive game. I think 9-ball should be treated the same way 8-ball is and you should be judged by the number of games you win.

The APA should at the very least make the 9-ball worth more than 2 points (4 or 5 would be good) so people get more credit for winning the game.

Does anyone else feel this way?

It's all a matter of perspective; each rack in APA 9-ball is more akin to 14.1 than a "game of 9-ball". So whoever drops the 9 during an arbitrary rack wins nothing (well, aside from the 2 points.)

I enjoy it, but it's just APA; you shouldn't let yourself get too riled up over it.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
If Shane Van Boening, Alex Pagulayan, Jason Klatt, and John Morra all got together for a little round-robin 9-ball tournament up in Canada played under APA rules, what would you call it?

Clash of the Titans.

Look it up on YouTube, watch it and listen to the comments made by some of the players and commentators concerning the format. IIRC, there were nothing but positive comments made about racing to 75 points with the 9-ball counting as 2 points. The matches were exciting to watch and there were ZERO "league-like" issues with any of the contestants.

As in ANY handicapped league, most issues arise when two players of different skill levels compete. Handicapping can rarely ever be completely fair for both players, but some league formats have come closer than others have.

Maniac

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I actually like APA 9 ball. Maybe it should be called something different since it's not really 9 ball. :cool:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Switch over to a different league. USAPL counts each ball as a point, but you get 14 if you win the game no matter what happens. So if you make 8 but miss the 9, you get 8 points but the winner gets 14. Makes winning the game mean something.

I've seen several APA games, each one I have seen there were way too many safes, there were people playing safe in 8-ball with like 5 total balls on the tables when they had ball-in-hand when the balls were pretty much hanging.

I Just got done with my 9-ball match and lost again. I really hate the way the APA scores their matches. I won almost every game but lost the match. I mean how messed up is this. How can you let someone with when they lost 90% of the games be called a winner.

I grew up playing defensive and waiting for the perfect out and I would win that way. But now that they got this point system in place apparently winning isn't important and has taken defensive long run strategy out of the picture and tuned this into a purely offensive game. I think 9-ball should be treated the same way 8-ball is and you should be judged by the number of games you win.

The APA should at the very least make the 9-ball worth more than 2 points (4 or 5 would be good) so people get more credit for winning the game.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I've seen several APA games, each one I have seen there were way too many safes, there were people playing safe in 8-ball with like 5 total balls on the tables when they had ball-in-hand when the balls were pretty much hanging.

Yes, of course, it's an AMATEUR league. It's rife with amateurs for cryin' out loud. You'll see a little bit of everything watching players in that league play. Things you'll most likely not see in a professional/semi-professional tournament.

Maniac (understands and accepts what APA is)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, of course, it's an AMATEUR league. It's rife with amateurs for cryin' out loud. You'll see a little bit of everything watching players in that league play. Things you'll most likely not see in a professional/semi-professional tournament.

Maniac (understands and accepts what APA is)

I think they were just trying to get the innings up to keep the handicaps low, because at random they'd just try to make balls when the position of them was not any better than anything else they passed up to shoot 3 other times.

Either that or I can't think like a C or D player anymore, because it was a bit odd that people would not try to make 3 balls in line with each other for position several times, then all of a sudden try to make a hard shot after moving the balls around for a bit.

cueguy

Just a repair guy
Silver Member
Nope

Actually, this is the reason that I "like" 9-ball scoring in the APA.
If I play the best game and make the most balls, I would hate to lose because the other person lucked in the 9 a couple times...