Can't stand APA 9-ball

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing apa 9 ball so my wife could play on the same team. She's a 3 and I'm an 8 and by the looks of it getting ready to move up to a 9 because I refuse to sandbag. It is what it is man. It's a fun league that lets people who wouldn't normally play in a league compete and have a chance to win and most importantly have fun. Something that a lot of us hard core players forget a lot. Some people don't live and breathe pool..and that's okay. :smile: as long as there playing there helping to contribute much needed income to our game in a bad economy. It's not perfect but I still have fun playing... If you don't enjoy it then don't play it...its not worth annoying yourself over

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually like APA 9 ball. Maybe it should be called something different since it's not really 9 ball. :cool:

How about APA 9.0 as opposed to 14.1 LOL. or 9.2 :grin-square:

APA 9 ball is about the only game I know where low rated players have a chance to win.

To the original poster, it sounds like YOU ARE CRYING TOO MUCH. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think they were just trying to get the innings up to keep the handicaps low, because at random they'd just try to make balls when the position of them was not any better than anything else they passed up to shoot 3 other times.

Either that or I can't think like a C or D player anymore, because it was a bit odd that people would not try to make 3 balls in line with each other for position several times, then all of a sudden try to make a hard shot after moving the balls around for a bit.

Option B.

I'm one of the lower level players in the league, and I'm amazed by players lack of vision of what should come next. League players make poor decisions, often. And poor shots, too.

It's not always the old "padding their innings for the handicap" argument. That would require more forethought, and more ability in the long run. The sandbagging paranoia is amazing.

RedEyeJedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sandbagging paranoia is amazing.

Where there's smoke there's fire. What amazes me more is how many weaker players have no idea their opponent is sandbagging. "I could have had him!" said the worm to the hook.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I know I realize that I am just saying that I think it makes more since to have the match scored on the number of games you win not the number of points you score.

Maybe APA 9-Ball isn't for you.

Check out the rules for TAP 9 ball (you have to call the 9) and you race to a number of games.

You may have other options.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Actually, this is the reason that I "like" 9-ball scoring in the APA.
If I play the best game and make the most balls, I would hate to lose because the other person lucked in the 9 a couple times...

I think the way it is scored makes for a very challenging spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the key here is that you and your opponent are always playing by the same rules. Over time, the handicapping system will tend to even things out. Is it a perfect system? Of course not. If it makes you feel better, don't even call it 9 ball. It is a pool game, similar to 9 ball where both you and your opponent play by the same rules on the same table with the same balls. May the best person win!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Where there's smoke there's fire. What amazes me more is how many weaker players have no idea their opponent is sandbagging. "I could have had him!" said the worm to the hook.

Not gonna derail this into the usual sandbagging stuff. It simply doesn't make sense, at least out here where your options are limited. Losing on purpose doesn't get you very far, or you must be awfully patient to do so.

I love the APA 9-ball format.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Just got done with my 9-ball match and lost again. I really hate the way the APA scores their matches. I won almost every game but lost the match. I mean how messed up is this. How can you let someone with when they lost 90% of the games be called a winner.

I grew up playing defensive and waiting for the perfect out and I would win that way. But now that they got this point system in place apparently winning isn't important and has taken defensive long run strategy out of the picture and tuned this into a purely offensive game. I think 9-ball should be treated the same way 8-ball is and you should be judged by the number of games you win.

The APA should at the very least make the 9-ball worth more than 2 points (4 or 5 would be good) so people get more credit for winning the game.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I personally like APA 9ball. I think the key here is making sure your expectations are set properly. If you are hoping to play traditional 9ball then APA 9ball isn't for you. It is more a cross between 9ball and straight pool. If you have BIH making the 1 9 combo might not be the best idea because you get two points and break. If you break and get hooked you just did that for only two points. Obviously the strategy needs to be adjusted but at the end of the day it isn't THAT much different and is a fun way to play.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually like APA 9 ball. Maybe it should be called something different since it's not really 9 ball. :cool:

Well... it's called APA 9-ball. I think that's different enough.

Freddie <~~~ hated it at first, but realized it's just another pool game with another set of rulez

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

And I'm just as amazed how many weaker players believe that what they see is sandbagging. Most of the times, amateur players simply suck. That's why we're amateurs.

Freddie <~~~ wouldn't know how to sandbag

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well unfortionatly I don't have much of a choice apa and lap are the only leagues in my area.

I am a strong 8-ball player but a weak 9-ball player with the present rules. May take a while but am just going to have to change the way I play and break the habbits.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well unfortionatly I don't have much of a choice apa and lap are the only leagues in my area.

I am a strong 8-ball player but a weak 9-ball player with the present rules. May take a while but am just going to have to change the way I play and break the habbits.

Stay with it. 9ball is refreshing game, even with the APA rules. I didn't catch your skill level but unlike 8ball you want to match up with a person close to your skill level because the handicap can be brutal when you get a SL2 vs SL8 (or something like that).

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to say

Well, I couldn't let a post about the APA go without responding...
Basically, the Anti-Poolplayers-Association has just bastardized the game of pool. I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it until the day I die, if you don't like what goes on in the APA, DON'T PLAY! It's that simple. Instead of griping and continuing to pay your weekly fees, just keep your mouth shut and quit. If everyone who had problems in the APA would do this, it wouldn't be long before it would just fold up. Personally, I hate, abhore the APA! Alot of people like it. That's ok, it's their right. I don't hate them for it. It irritates me when people complain about it but continue to support it.
Just my 2 cents... If offended anyone, well I'm sure they will get over it...

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically, the Anti-Poolplayers-Association has just bastardized the game of pool. I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it until the day I die, if you don't like what goes on in the APA, DON'T PLAY! It's that simple. Instead of griping and continuing to pay your weekly fees, just keep your mouth shut and quit. If everyone who had problems in the APA would do this, it wouldn't be long before it would just fold up. Personally, I hate, abhore the APA! Alot of people like it. That's ok, it's their right. I don't hate them for it. It irritates me when people complain about it but continue to support it.

Calling it Anti Poolplayers association makes you sound like a moron

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

When we get through all your anti APA rhetoric, you are correct. If a person doesn't like it, enough that it bothers them so much to come here and whine about it, stop playing and stop supporting it.

That would probably make it even more enjoyable for those of us who do like it.

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really???

I call it that because it fits. That's how they made me and many others feel. Once someone reaches a level and becomes a poolplayer instead of someone who just likes to play pool, the APA has no place for them. They show up to league week after week but don't get to play because of the 23 rule. When they finally do get to play, they have to win 7 games before a slopster wins 2. Gee, that sounds like alot of fun...bear down and play your heart out for what? Oh yeah, you still gotta pay the fee! But what a great time we had!!
This isn't my thread so I'm not going to hog any more of it. I've said my piece and I'm done.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I call it that because it fits. That's how they made me and many others feel. Once someone reaches a level and becomes a poolplayer instead of someone who just likes to play pool, the APA has no place for them. They show up to league week after week but don't get to play because of the 23 rule. When they finally do get to play, they have to win 7 games before a slopster wins 2. Gee, that sounds like alot of fun...bear down and play your heart out for what? Oh yeah, you still gotta pay the fee! But what a great time we had!!
This isn't my thread so I'm not going to hog any more of it. I've said my piece and I'm done.

Actually, APA does have a place for "them", it's called Masters League.

If you aren't enjoying yourself enough, don't play. It is a league designed for beginners, first. It's a bigger market.