Can't stand APA 9-ball

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I call it that because it fits. That's how they made me and many others feel. Once someone reaches a level and becomes a poolplayer instead of someone who just likes to play pool, the APA has no place for them. They show up to league week after week but don't get to play because of the 23 rule. When they finally do get to play, they have to win 7 games before a slopster wins 2. Gee, that sounds like alot of fun...bear down and play your heart out for what? Oh yeah, you still gotta pay the fee! But what a great time we had!!
This isn't my thread so I'm not going to hog any more of it. I've said my piece and I'm done.

Actually you are wrong. They offer APA Masters which removes the handicap.

Banks

Banned
Well, I couldn't let a post about the APA go without responding...
Basically, the Anti-Poolplayers-Association has just bastardized the game of pool. I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it until the day I die, if you don't like what goes on in the APA, DON'T PLAY! It's that simple. Instead of griping and continuing to pay your weekly fees, just keep your mouth shut and quit. If everyone who had problems in the APA would do this, it wouldn't be long before it would just fold up. Personally, I hate, abhore the APA! Alot of people like it. That's ok, it's their right. I don't hate them for it. It irritates me when people complain about it but continue to support it.
Just my 2 cents... If offended anyone, well I'm sure they will get over it...

"Why do I bet the most? That's what I do." - Bartram

Why do people complain about things? That's what they do.

On the up-side, I just beat a nationally rated master in our APA 9b playoffs yesterday so I'm feeling pretty special for a bar banger. Not too shabby for somebody that started playing pool via APA, eh? :eek:

APA 9b teaches you how to control the table. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be thinking you're 'big boy' material.

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stay with it. 9ball is refreshing game, even with the APA rules. I didn't catch your skill level but unlike 8ball you want to match up with a person close to your skill level because the handicap can be brutal when you get a SL2 vs SL8 (or something like that).

Haven't got my 10 games in yet so don't have an accurate skill level yet. In 8-ball I lost my first two matches soely because of nerves since it was the first time I ever played in a reputable leauge or tournament. After that I have won 5 in a row beating 3s and 4s most of the time skunking them. My coach is a 6 boarderline 7 and I beat him most of the times when we play. I imagine I will a SL5 or 6 out of 7 by the end of my 10 games.

Just started 9 ball idk what I will be as I said won the games lost the match.

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stay with it. 9ball is refreshing game, even with the APA rules. I didn't catch your skill level but unlike 8ball you want to match up with a person close to your skill level because the handicap can be brutal when you get a SL2 vs SL8 (or something like that).

Haven't got my 10 games in yet so don't have an accurate skill level yet. In 8-ball I lost my first two matches soely because of nerves since it was the first time I ever played in a reputable leauge or tournament. After that I have won 5 in a row beating 3s and 4s most of the time skunking them. My coach is a 6 boarderline 7 and I beat him most of the times when we play. I imagine I will a SL5 or 6 out of 7 by the end of my 10 games.

jbbilliards1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normally, you will be one skill level higher in 9 ball.
Its just the way it goes, but Ive seen some rare cases where someone is a4 in 9 ball and a 6 in 8 ball.
Stick it through, it will all pay off in the end.
The APA is a great league to meet people, have some fun and get better at the sport we all love to play

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

You can start by not thinking that you are winning any games, in Apa 9-ball. It's just the match. You might think of it as winning the rack, but really only so far as scoring more than your opponent.
Ya gotta have that attitude, in this game.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member

Exactly. And the smart captains try to play that to their advantage. I always tried to put up first and that gave me a better chance of controlling who played my horse.

I was an 8 and playing a good 2 or 3 was brutal.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I Just got done with my 9-ball match and lost again. I really hate the way the APA scores their matches. I won almost every game but lost the match. I mean how messed up is this. How can you let someone with when they lost 90% of the games be called a winner.

I grew up playing defensive and waiting for the perfect out and I would win that way. But now that they got this point system in place apparently winning isn't important and has taken defensive long run strategy out of the picture and tuned this into a purely offensive game. I think 9-ball should be treated the same way 8-ball is and you should be judged by the number of games you win.

The APA should at the very least make the 9-ball worth more than 2 points (4 or 5 would be good) so people get more credit for winning the game.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I dont feel the same way you do, this is my second session of 9 ball and I think the apa scoreing system for 9 ball is great. You get credit for every ball you make while raceing to your handicap. Honestly whats wrong with that,it's fun and as fair as you could get playing in a handicap league enviorment. With all due respect, If you want to play traditional 9 ball go to your local pool hall.

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normally, you will be one skill level higher in 9 ball.
Its just the way it goes, but Ive seen some rare cases where someone is a4 in 9 ball and a 6 in 8 ball.
Stick it through, it will all pay off in the end.
The APA is a great league to meet people, have some fun and get better at the sport we all love to play

Everything ive seen people are normally higher in 8

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lorider,

Your info is bad. The BCAPL does not have any scoring system like you described. The BCAPL has 500 leagues - they are all run as the local operator wants. So each one can be different.

The national tournament is not handicapped.

I was referring to USAPL when responding to the OP comments on 9-ball.

Robert, if you need clarification on our policies and procedures, please contact me.

Mark Griffin,
702-719-7665

i do not like hi jacked threads and i hate hi jacking this one but i just have to explain my viewpoint a little better.

mr. griffin i have to say i respect what you have accomplished and admire your efforts for the betterment of pool in general.

you mentioned usapl 9 ball and i mentioned napa 9 ball. i happen to like the formats in both leagues. i also mentioned that bcapl 8 ball is a points based format much like apa 9 ball.

you state my info is bad. well that is the format i played under when i was a member of bcapl a few years ago. there also has been a few threads on here discussing the same format in other areas.

you state that there are 500 leagues and are run as the local operator wants. unless my info is bad these are not indepedently owned franchises, they are owned by you.

are not the rules and local bylaws of these 500 local leagues subject to the rules of the national organization ? in apa the local bylaws cannot supercede national organization rules.

when you go to the nationals in apa you play under the same rules and format you do in your local league.

in bcapl the national tournament is played under an entirely different format than most local leagues. i respectfully ask , why is that ?

Banks

Banned
you mentioned usapl 9 ball and i mentioned napa 9 ball. i happen to like the formats in both leagues. i also mentioned that bcapl 8 ball is a points based format much like apa 9 ball.

you state my info is bad. well that is the format i played under when i was a member of bcapl a few years ago. there also has been a few threads on here discussing the same format in other areas.

That's what I thought you meant in your previous thread, but it was worded sort of backwards. Since, in BCAPL 8, the games are scored on points and a handicap of points is given, a match can come down to making an illegal hit to pocket your own(combo opponent's ball into your own) to secure a win. I agree, that's kinda odd, as well as the idea of an opponent getting points for balls that you made on the break. Oh well, it is what it is.

I figure, if I were a lot better, I'd win everything and it wouldn't matter. :eek:

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can start by not thinking that you are winning any games, in Apa 9-ball. It's just the match. You might think of it as winning the rack, but really only so far as scoring more than your opponent.
Ya gotta have that attitude, in this game.

Yeah I guess so thanks for the advice. It may take a while t break old habits andstrategy I have Bern using for 20 years.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I love the points format. They figured out how to take a game I basically can't stand, and make it playable and even enjoyable.

9 ball has always been a dumb game. At the low levels, where neither player can run out an open rack, it's a coin flip who sinks the 9. Maybe one guy runs the first six and the other runs 3 balls. Maybe the next game, it's 4 and then 5. Or maybe player A runs 2, B runs 4, A runs 3. It's a complete tossup.

If I have never run 9 balls in my life, what's my incentive to make the one ball? And if I know you can't run out either, why shouldn't I just try a .00001% flyer at the 9 every time, until a few balls are off the table? With a points format, playing shape and running balls consistently is rewarded. Not sitting back and waiting for someone to rattle the 8 so you can sink 2 ducks.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I love the points format. They figured out how to take a game I basically can't stand, and make it playable and even enjoyable.

9 ball is always been a dumb game. At the low levels, where neither player can run out an open rack, it's a coin flip who sinks the 9. Maybe one guy runs the first six and the other runs 3 balls. Maybe the next game, it's 4 and then 5. Or maybe player A runs 2, B runs 4, A runs 3. It's a complete tossup.

If I have never run 9 balls in my life, what's my incentive to make the one ball? And if I know you can't run out either, why shouldn't I just try a .00001% flyer at the 9 every time, until a few balls are off the table? With a points format, playing shape and running balls consistently is rewarded. Not sitting back and waiting for someone to rattle the 8 so you can sink 2 ducks.

Yep.

Maniac

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
When at the national level the APA disqualifies less than 10 out of 700 or so teams for handicap manipulation, with tourney officials everywhere watching, there isn't a sand bagging problem.

There aren't really any key balls in an APA 9 ball rack. They all count. The general idea is if you can't run out don't put your opponent into a position where he can easily pocket a ball and get a run of his own going. If that means riding the 9 in to get a new rack out there, that's what you do.

I also think the 9 ball handicapping system is well thought out and effective. When you get moved up those extra 8 to 10 balls you have to make really have an effect. You have to adjust your approach to weaker opponents and you give up a rack's worht of points to the guy who was giving them to you the week prior. The challenge increases as the handicap increases, which is what a good handicapping system should do.

I like the format, it's challenging and fun, my only complaint is the score keeping. I have a really hard time paying that close of attention to a match I am not playing. When I am playing, I'd rather not know the score. I just keep shooting until someone tells me to stop.

I would also agree that the Masters format really lets you know where you stand in relation to everyone else. It also has a great format.

:cool:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
you state that there are 500 leagues and are run as the local operator wants. unless my info is bad these are not indepedently owned franchises, they are owned by you.

are not the rules and local bylaws of these 500 local leagues subject to the rules of the national organization ? in apa the local bylaws cannot supercede national organization rules.
Sorry to jump in, but Mark said exactly what I understand. At the National level, they do not run the tournament by points or any handicap method.

At the local level, the individual local operator can run their local league how they choose. For example, there are some BCAPL-sanctioned leagues that actually simply use APA rules as their ruleset. Many will use the suggested format of round robin, 10pt system. The New England Billiard League modified that system so that the handicap levels is approximately the same as the APA (an SL-7 is ~ a 7 or so in that particular league).

In other words, across the country, the individual leagues can do whatever format they want at the local levels.

But, if their team goes to BCAPL Nationals, then they have to play by BCAPL rules. This was true before Mark acquired the BCA leagues.

Freddie

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
A few weeks ago I made every 9ball in the match and still lost.

I just quit pool league.

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Funny thing, last night was my (APA) 9 ball match I lost 3 games ("didn't sink the nine"). Won the the fourth game and sank 3 more to win with a 9 point lead. We were both SL2:eek:.

You win by sinking balls. Who cares if you sink the 9 all that does is decide who gets to break. :rolleyes:

I don't care for the rules of APA 9 ball myself. However, if I didn't like them I wouldn't go back for the next season:shocked:. In our side of town we also have plenty of action in non APA tourneys without the handicaps:cool:
Regards,
Loren

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if the 9 doesnt count and its about sinking balls play straight pool :wink: im happy we dont have any handycapping league formats, your not up to the task? sit down and take your loss. i had matches where i sat down for 5 or 6 racks, but i didnt cry, i tried to play better.

but who wants to improve or even learn a game by playing a game this way (sort of you cant play chess? well than we play it with poker rules?!=> yes, it doesnt make any sense)