Carbide Mandrels

LittleDoc

Registered
I think I’m going to finally buy a set of Mandrels…. After hours of trying to get joints perfect, I want to buy a set. Who’s selling them these days?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I think I’m going to finally buy a set of Mandrels…. After hours of trying to get joints perfect, I want to buy a set. Who’s selling them these days?

Although I wonder for the occasional hobbyist cuemaker (that's me) if steel mandrels would work well enough? I use steel mandrels for other turning products (not cue related) and they seem to hold up well enough for a handful or even a dozen uses.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if you saw this...

LittleDoc

Registered
Not sure if you saw this...

Thanks. I’m actually hoping to get 3/8x10 modified. I appreciate you sharing

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Might try Cuefits.com as well. I have ordered from him in the past without issues. However, delivery is slow boat from China. A couple-three weeks last time I ordered.

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Might try Cuefits.com as well. I have ordered from him in the past without issues. However, delivery is slow boat from China. A couple-three weeks last time I ordered.
They have them but they are straight, not tapered.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
there is no need to taper a carbide sanding mandrel ............ you are only interested in the size at the edge ............... I got a set from Hightower 10 years ago............... they are still the same size

Kim

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is no need to taper a carbide sanding mandrel ............ you are only interested in the size at the edge ............... I got a set from Hightower 10 years ago............... they are still the same size

Kim
If you don’t get a tapered butt mandrel, the sandpaper will lift away from the joint and the potential for dishing the joint ring happens. Don’t let your ego get in the way of best practices.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don’t get a tapered butt mandrel, the sandpaper will lift away from the joint and the potential for dishing the joint ring happens. Don’t let your ego get in the way of best practices.

I was wondering about that. I know some people use long straight boards for their sanding, a straight mandrel would affect that.

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Where did you see tapered sanding mandrels on cuefits? These all look straight?

Here.

Since the OP was looking for 3/8-10 modified, that's what I looked for. I see the Radials only show straight right now. I'm 95% sure he offered the Radials in tapered as well though... could just be out of stock.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
oh my........ does that mean that the last 300 cues I make are all bad?????........ bullshit........... you don't need a tapered mandrel............ ,maybe you just don't know how to use sand paper..........................

Kim

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh my........ does that mean that the last 300 cues I make are all bad?????........ bullshit........... you don't need a tapered mandrel............ ,maybe you just don't know how to use sand paper..........................

Kim

Some people use a long piece of wood with a piece of sandpaper attached. This piece of wood is then used to sand the length of the cue, when each end hits a mandrel it's done and you have a PERFECTLY sanded butt. If the mandrel's aren't tapered then the sanding block will not sit flush on the cue and you will not have a perfectly sanded cue.

How do you do it?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people use a long piece of wood with a piece of sandpaper attached. This piece of wood is then used to sand the length of the cue, when each end hits a mandrel it's done and you have a PERFECTLY sanded butt. If the mandrel's aren't tapered then the sanding block will not sit flush on the cue and you will not have a perfectly sanded cue.

How do you do it?
You sand up to you hit the mandrel, works just fine.