Charlie Ursitti's thoughts on Willie Mosconi's...

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I'm sure some of you are or aren't aware that, Charlie Ursitti passed away this morning! He was one of our countries, foremost historians on the cue games, especially, Willie Mosconi, one of his best and dearest friends.

He was a VERY DEAR friend of mine for the last 10-12 years.

When I saw the thread on, 'Mosconi's 526 ball' run,I decided to ask none other than the single person alive at the time what ACTUAL light he could shine on this highly debated record!

I did not read every post in that or other threads on the subject, but, I could tell there were plenty of, YEH and NASAYERS about Willie's run and how if the players today would have any chance of duplicating or surpassing the 526 under the same conditions!

So, I called up Charlie and we had about a 30 minute conversation about Willie and that so Godly talent of his! This was a little over 2 years ago, as to we both were going thru severe health issues, although, his more serious than my own.

Here's the audio of that conversation, we recorded, 10/29/2016.

https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion/videos/vb.100000974825519/2354177401291398/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1542760693483993
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sad to hear he has left the sport. I was a big fan of the old espn legends of pocket billiards series and how Ursitti as the ref between Mosconi and Fats. He ran a good show from what I saw.

Thanks for posting this, I'll give it a listen.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I listened to the whole thing. Mr. Ursitti really put things into perspective. And it was very nice to hear mention of Tony Meatball.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I listened to the whole thing. Mr. Ursitti really put things into perspective. And it was very nice to hear mention of Tony Meatball.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Tony Meatball. Only loss was to an Italian. Loved the interview !
And I don’t give a shit.... hahhaa

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for your loss. Charlie sounds like he was a great friend to know.

Rest In Peace Charlie.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great insights from someone who was there through the years. Thanks for posting the interview. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for this tremendous interview- a true testament to Mosconi as the greatest who ever played and to the great comments by a man who will be surely missed - Charlie Ursitti - the game will never be the same! Charlie testifies to a Witnessed 589 run by Mosconi and also probably 100 or more 150 ball runs where Mosconi simply put down his cue because he'd had won the match or the exhibition had ended! At age 66 Willie was 14-3 in World competition- enough said!

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for this tremendous interview- a true testament to Mosconi as the greatest who ever played and to the great comments by a man who will be surely missed - Charlie Ursitti - the game will never be the same! Charlie testifies to a Witnessed 589 run by Mosconi and also probably 100 or more 150 ball runs where Mosconi simply put down his cue because he'd had won the match or the exhibition had ended! At age 66 Willie was 14-3 in World competition- enough said!

Yes this is true 100%, charlie mentioned that to me on phone 2 years ago as we were talking prices on his memorabilia stuff he was selling. He massed a unbelievable collection. My condolence to his family, sad see these legendary special people pass, i often wonder pool ever be same in USA as once was back in the day.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm sure some of you are or aren't aware that, Charlie Ursitti passed away this morning! He was one of our countries, foremost historians on the cue games, especially, Willie Mosconi, one of his best and dearest friends.

He was a VERY DEAR friend of mine for the last 10-12 years.

When I saw the thread on, 'Mosconi's 526 ball' run,I decided to ask none other than the single person alive at the time what ACTUAL light he could shine on this highly debated record!

I did not read every post in that or other threads on the subject, but, I could tell there were plenty of, YEH and NASAYERS about Willie's run and how if the players today would have any chance of duplicating or surpassing the 526 under the same conditions!

So, I called up Charlie and we had about a 30 minute conversation about Willie and that so Godly talent of his! This was a little over 2 years ago, as to we both were going thru severe health issues, although, his more serious than my own.

Here's the audio of that conversation, we recorded, 10/29/2016.

https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion/videos/vb.100000974825519/2354177401291398/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1542760693483993
[/SIZE]

Bill, like many AZers, I’m not a member of FB....I’d really like to hear the conversation.
....and Infeel it should be in the Billiard History forum also.

Rest In Peace, Mr Ursitti

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Bill, like many AZers, I’m not a member of FB....I’d really like to hear the conversation.

I posted it also on You tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGm4TtJQKXE

I didn't want it to get buried there!

I thought it was relevant, since Charlie passed away that day!

This is really just the audio portion, because of both our health issues, the entire short documentary we were working on, got put on hold.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Then join Facebook. :rolleyes: