cheap sets: how late is late to pay up?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like table stakes in poker have to be covered with cash, so do all pool wagers......cash, not a IOU.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am another who doesnt know what venmo means.
That said even if you are only gambling for $20 the debt should be settled up before you guys walk away from the table. Im sure they would expect you to pay up if they had won so the same should be expected of them. On the other hand if they are good and regular "customers" maybe let it ride for a little while but definitely dont go back to the table before collecting from them.

Venmo is like paypal that's very popular with millennials and gen Zers who never carry any cash. Sometimes I play so many games in one night I end up forgetting who owes me what.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are not too smart to begin with.

I'm not hustling anybody though. I offered weight they don't want it. Rich kids with an ego. They watched Dr. Dave videos they think they're ready.

I try not to ask anybody for cash right after, once at a dive bar some dumbass asked to play for 20 I won, I waited for 15 min then politely said "hey bud you got that 20?". Him: "wtf man! you need to fking chill!!!! let me show you something! brings me to his car there's a 20 on the dash. Hands it to me. See I had it ready for you! what you think i'm broke?!! You think I wasn't gonna pay you you disrespecting me! You trying to start sht or what?". Homie in my face. Not worth it. I don't need the show. But I also raced for 80 with a different guy and he left through the back door, never saw him again. I thought he was coming back because he left his cue, turned out it wasn't his cue he played with some girl's cue.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Cash. If someone wants to PayPal or venmo the money they better tell me before the match so I can tell them to **** off then and not potentially waste hours.

Use your head on when/how much to square up. Hundred dollar sets, around 500 bucks. 20 dollar sets,. Around 100. If you don't know the person, might want to stipulate that beforehand as well.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try not to ask anybody for cash right after, once at a dive bar some dumbass asked to play for 20 I won, I waited for 15 min then politely said "hey bud you got that 20?". Him: "wtf man! you need to fking chill!!!! let me show you something! brings me to his car there's a 20 on the dash. Hands it to me. See I had it ready for you! what you think i'm broke?!! You think I wasn't gonna pay you you disrespecting me! You trying to start sht or what?". Homie in my face. Not worth it. I don't need the show. But I also raced for 80 with a different guy and he left through the back door, never saw him again. I thought he was coming back because he left his cue, turned out it wasn't his cue he played with some girl's cue.

Crap like this is why my policy is pay to play. If the cash isn't out before the game starts, the game doesn't start. Even on my (very recreational) team we play buck a head scotch doubles for team practice, but if the money's not on the table, the game don't start.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Don't know what venmo means and haven't read one thread but yours, but from my era we Always Posted up before the match started. Period

Venmo is an electronic money transfer you can do from your bank. It's like PayPal, ApplePay, Zelle, and a host of others. It can be done right from your phone to another person's phone in seconds. It's the "new" cash transaction if you will.

To the OP, too late is not right after the match. If they are friends, remind them the next time you see them in a polite manner. This can sometimes get touchy. There is an old saying, "If you loan someone $20 and you never see them again, then it was worth it." These are your "friends" then either you shouldn't be taking their money or you shouldn't care. If they are not your friends then make sure you get paid asap.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If I was in this position and I saw these people on a regular, I would just wait until they wanted to play
again and say you have to pay me from last time.

I'm still waiting on a $20 bet I won against a buddy roughly 15-20yrs ago...lol. I haven't played him since. I'm sure he has forgotten twice over by now, but I won't.

Haven't seen him for handful of years now. My plan is to offer up a $20 sets with the stipulation that winners pays for time and then dump one and done. That will even us up, and I get to laugh at him.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always let someone get a payday in between if they owed me money . If they didn't pay then I would call and ask when they were coming by. If it was for enough, I asked when I could come by and pick it up.
At least that way , you knew if they were going to pay or not.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Vito

If they are friends you have no business playing them for dollars. If they are pool hall acquaintances, reach in your wallet and put your money on the light before play starts. Then wait for them to do the same.

As for the deadbeats that have already stiffed you, you are the sucker there. If it is enough just send Vito and tell him he is in for half. No problemo!

Hu

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not hustling anybody though. I offered weight they don't want it. Rich kids with an ego. They watched Dr. Dave videos they think they're ready.

Why are you gambling in these dive bars?
Play with fire, you might get burned.