Chicago player

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Oh, you want him to use logic? He knows full well, when he saw Artie play in his late 60s, that Artie quit playing pool over 25 years before and was making his living gambling in Vegas on anything NOT pool related. He made 10000 times more money gambling than playing pool. There was not any financial reason to keep practicing. I think when Vegas forced him to retire he finally bought a table and played a little then.

Robert, Lou has NO idea of what he speaks! He has second hand and third hand info at best! ONLY people who actually saw Artie play in his prime can appreciate how he ground TOP players into minced meat! That's right, ground them down! To where they didn't even know what pocket was their's!

Nick stopped in Chicago, 2 weeks before, on his way to NYC. He played Artie at the Northshore for $50 a game, He beat Artie 17 in a row. Artie told to come back from NYC and bet $5,000. The day/night Nick beat Artie 17 in a line, after the match AB, Freddy Race track Phil and I went to eat. The first words out of Artie's mouth when asked why not quit, he said, "He don't know the first thing about 1 pocket!" BTW I lost $650 that time betting on Artie!

What he finally did to Nick at the Northshore was epic! And this was one week after Nick had won the World Championship in NYC! Nick was the, 'student' in that match with Artie! Nick had come back with his father, his father begged him to quit Artie, Nick wouldn't! He said, "I can't quit, I'm learning too much!"[[/I The were playing for $300 a game.]/SIZE]

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
ribs, you are absolutely correct.

All that happens and more. But in the case of AB he was raging for months about his perfect, no mistake 1pocket on the other group. And so, many of us went to watch him play JH at the DCC. And I don’t think I’m out of line saying that the vast majority of us from the groups kibitzing on the sidelines went away wondering where the beef was. We were all on the rail looking at each other mit very puzzled expressions all around.

Lou Figueroa

i scuffled in CHI town bars between 60 and 66

made it to the pool mecca known as BENSINGERS some and watched AB play some on a few occasions

didn't know enough about one hole to clock players, i was impressed by him because the people he played didn't fire at their hole much whereas AB would either make what he shot or it was a threat that his opponent had to deal with, hence, i appreciate the input from those that had first hand knowledge of his speed compared to others of that era.

Getting a ball from Bugs and 2 balls from Red (but giving up the break) tells me his game was in their zip code.which only had a hand full of residents.

it's a shame we don't have film from that era

take care

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
meh.

I know what I saw, prime or past.

Lou Figueroa

Lou has this pegged correct.

I watched Dean Higgs (great old time STL one pocket player) play way past his prime when he was basically blind and he would have ran circles around Artie’s bump all the balls up the table game. Like Lou said, you can tell when someone could play at one time in their life.

Beyond that - some of the ‘wins’ people witnessed could have been pre-decided.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Lou has this pegged correct.

I watched Dean Higgs (great old time STL one pocket player) play way past his prime when he was basically blind and he would have ran circles around Artie’s bump all the balls up the table game. Like Lou said, you can tell when someone could play at one time in their life.

Beyond that - some of the ‘wins’ people witnessed could have been pre-decided.

Another bird that knows nothing at all of AB's prime time game! There were no good 1p players from St Louis!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys know if Artie and Patch Eye Henry every matched up? I watched Patch Eye play in Philly when he was about 70 years old, 15 years ago. He was jam-up at that age, beating most of the local A players in one hole. I know Patch Eye travelled to every single state to play pool. That was his whole lifetime career.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Robert, Lou has NO idea of what he speaks! He has second hand and third hand info at best! ONLY people who actually saw Artie play in his prime can appreciate how he ground TOP players into minced meat! That's right, ground them down! To where they didn't even know what pocket was their's!

Nick stopped in Chicago, 2 weeks before, on his way to NYC. He played Artie at the Northshore for $50 a game, He beat Artie 17 in a row. Artie told to come back from NYC and bet $5,000. The day/night Nick beat Artie 17 in a line, after the match AB, Freddy Race track Phil and I went to eat. The first words out of Artie's mouth when asked why not quit, he said, "He don't know the first thing about 1 pocket!" BTW I lost $650 that time betting on Artie!

What he finally did to Nick at the Northshore was epic! And this was one week after Nick had won the World Championship in NYC! Nick was the, 'student' in that match with Artie! Nick had come back with his father, his father begged him to quit Artie, Nick wouldn't! He said, "I can't quit, I'm learning too much!"[[/I The were playing for $300 a game.]/SIZE]

IF his performance at the DCC was any indication -- chalking his cue for five to ten minutes at at time each shot, then bunting a ball up table -- he put the other guy into a coma but did not out play him.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another bird that knows nothing at all of AB's prime time game! There were no good 1p players from St Louis!

Yes, you're right, of course.

Chi-town player think it's all about them. Forget the West Coast, East Coast, South, and Midwest. It's just about you guys.

Like someone said further back in this thread: been around pool forever but never heard of Freddy much less Artie until Freddy started tooting his horn online.

Lou Figueroa

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Nicky is one of my favorite people...I knew his father and uncle before I knew him...
...we’ve always got along.
And I’m not surprised that Nick wouldn’t quit Artie...he was smart and eager to learn.
I’m thinking from this post that Artie could be the reason for the Varner ..”wedge”

I’ve heard a lotta stories over the years about conflicting reports of player’s speeds....
...a lot these stories tend to misrepresent to what the teller wants to convey.
When I was a kid, I crunched a guy giving him 30 at snooker...caught him later talking
about beating a guy 10 in a row...the player he mentioned I admired..out of my league...
...upon closer questioning....he admitted that the guy was 15 years old at the time..WTF

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, so one more thing for the Chicago guys: my recollection is that Chicago Mike was taping the match between AB and JH at the DCC in 2010.

To the best of my knowledge that video has never been posted. (I wonder why?)

So why not let the tape speak for itself, if Mike will post it up.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
IF his performance at the DCC was any indication -- chalking his cue for five to ten minutes at at time each shot, then bunting a ball up table -- he put the other guy into a coma but did not out play him.

Lou Figueroa

Artie was a true, 'pragmatist,' He knew in his later years he couldn't see from diabetes, and his heart was working on all cylinders! So, trying to run balls, as in 8 & out was not in his wheel house anymore! The one thing he knew how to do better than anyone but me, is how to WIN! So, your evaluation of AB's game against John H. is NOT even close to his prime speed! When Artie played John, the AB of old could have played the AB then 8 - 4!

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Yes, you're right, of course.

Chi-town player think it's all about them. Forget the West Coast, East Coast, South, and Midwest. It's just about you guys.

Like someone said further back in this thread: been around pool forever but never heard of Freddy much less Artie until Freddy started tooting his horn online.

Lou Figueroa

If any type of player came to Chi-town to play, 1 pocket, Banks, 3 cushion and maybe even straight pool and 9 ball on a 5x10, it would be almost impossible for a road player to get a win there! We had all the bases covered!

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
OK, so one more thing for the Chicago guys: my recollection is that Chicago Mike was taping the match between AB and JH at the DCC in 2010.

To the best of my knowledge that video has never been posted. (I wonder why?)

So why not let the tape speak for itself, if Mike will post it up.

Lou Figueroa

YOU REALLY do have a concrete block between YOUR ears! :banghead::banghead:

WTF, would that prove as to AB's speed in his prime!
:speechless:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YOU REALLY do have a concrete block between YOUR ears! :banghead::banghead:

WTF, would that prove as to AB's speed in his prime!
:speechless:

Let the tape speak for itself.

And the viewers can draw their own conclusion allowing for whatever.

Lou Figueroa

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was common knowledge that Artie was one of the best ever,and certianly the smartest
one pocket player of his time

now that he hasn't hit a ball in 9 more years,perhaps Lou would like to play

i feel confident he could get action for $25000

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I thought it was common knowledge that Artie was one of the best ever,and certianly the smartest

In a heartbeat!

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let the tape speak for itself.

And the viewers can draw their own conclusion allowing for whatever.

Lou Figueroa

That match lasted over 16 hours. I would not watch it myself, and I played in it.:grin:

I do disagree with you about Artie’s speed. I have known RA since the last 50’s and the best one pocket player in the world did not want any when he went to Chicago without getting what he considered some kind of edge.

Artie used to visit us at the race book in Las Vegas when we were there, and believe me, there was considerable mutual respect, and Ronnie did not have much of that for too many people and their pool game.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
That match lasted over 16 hours. I would not watch it myself, and I played in it.:grin:

I do disagree with you about Artie’s speed. I have known RA since the last 50’s and the best one pocket player in the world did not want any when he went to Chicago without getting what he considered some kind of edge.

Artie used to visit us at the race book in Las Vegas when we were there, and believe me, there was considerable mutual respect, and Ronnie did not have much of that for too many people and their pool game.

Well said. The folks that know, the folks that could play and the folks that bet their own money knew what was what.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

He barely had the balls to step to the table against JB, no chance he will step to the table against a champ, even 25 years past his prime. Not even betting his own money.

Yeah, I met Lou up close and personal, and he was nervous then as he thought I was going to beat him in the parking lot. But, now that he's a safe distance away, he can talk smack again.

This was his chance to kick Freddy after he died. He's been wanting to do it for awhile. And now he got his chance, and he already brought his name up. No biggie, it's what cowards do.

I was not a huge fan of SJD, but I"m not kicking the guy after he died. And when folks start threads about SJD I never once went in there to mouth off about him. I won't say a negative word about the man, he's dead and can't defend himself. May he rest in peace. What would be the point. And I certainly don't jump in other threads in hopes to knock SJD. I don't do it, because quite frankly it would be a pathetic nit move.

Lou likes to try and steam roll folks here. In person, NOT a peep. LMAO