CJ and Corey are easier than what ghost?

CJ and Corey were easier than the ghost of..?

• 6-ball

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 7-ball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8-ball

• 9-ball

• 10-ball

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 11-ball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12-ball

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 13-ball

• 14-ball

• 15-ball

• Total voters

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey isn't quite through, but assuming he is...

Corey and CJ go down playing ten ball. My question is: They were easier to beat than the ghost of what game. You pick.

This isn't a slam, these are champion players. They may be harder to beat than the 15 ball ghost some days because they may string a lot of racks. But what about in these matchups?

unknownpro

Joe Rogan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to sound ignorant, but there's really no other way to pose this question - how exactly does someone play "the ghost?"
I hear it mentioned all the time, but I never really asked what it means.

DEAD MONEY G

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Rogan said:
I hate to sound ignorant, but there's really no other way to pose this question - how exactly does someone play "the ghost?"
I hear it mentioned all the time, but I never really asked what it means.
break and then take ball in hand if you run out or make the money ball on a legal hit(9 or 10 ball) you win if you miss or scratch you lose play a race to whatever you want i usually play to 9 i beat the 9 ball ghost about 60 percent but the 10 ball ghost about 10 to 20 percent

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched both days. I think Shane 12 ball ghost, and Cory 7 ball ghost, for this particular match.

Cory had lots of unforced errors, missed position, and missed shots, with less than a full rack on the table.

Shane on the other hand, got out nearly every time he had a shot. He made hardly any positional mistakes, and missed VERY few shots.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
I've watched champion players play the ghost; but always to 5 ahead (a race would be easier; requiring just a bit better than 50% winning percentage). The best male players expect to beat the 12-ball ghost 5 ahead if they are in stroke; and if they beat the 13-ball ghost they've really done something. All of the sessions I've seen were played as noted above; with the addition of the rule where the money ball does NOT count if it goes in on the break, it's spotted.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I live you only beat the ghost if you clear the table completely so no quick combo's.

Leonard

and it's usually played per game for a hundred a rack

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Doesn't the difficulty of beating the ghost vary greatly with the playing conditions and how tough the table plays?

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
This is interesting. I'll also admit that in all the years playing pool, I've never heard of the term. I figured it was because I was too old, didn't understand the current "lingo", or something.

Although, it was kind of obvious to figure out what everyone was referring to, until now I really didn't know.

This is my absolute weakness, I can amuse myself for about 1 rack with these kind of drills. I wish I could enjoy this kind of thing, as it truely is not only a good way to hit balls, but it has some overall goal. I'd be banging balls in a matter of minutes trying this.

The only way I can reach that pleasurable level of deep focus is when I'm playing against a real opponent. If I feel myself breaking into a slight sweat, watch out, I'm going to that place where I cannot be reached by mere mortals. :)

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
Doesn't the difficulty of beating the ghost vary greatly with the playing conditions and how tough the table plays?

PB,
Good point. My observations were based on super tight equipment. I've never seen the champs play on easy equipment so I am unsure of the magnitude of the difference.