CJ Wiley

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still plugging away at finding little scraps here and there, but DAMN this guy is hard to encounter. He flies so low under the radar that moles scramble to get out his way.

I still don't know anything about the man. All I know is that he rode in here 20 years ago, beat everybody in town, then rode off into the sunset.

But he did leave this silver bullet behind.

holland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I should start posting more on Face Book....here's a Gambling/Hustling story I wrote from my "Road Player" days almost 30 years ago:

That's an amazing read. I read a bit more on your website. Does such a subculture still exist today? I would imagine it's suicidal in today's world.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the reasons I can't remember that time very well is I got "jarred" and they put too much in my drink in some bar outside of Memphis. It was brutal cuz I couldn't quit, which is typical when someone hits you with "hyoscine scopolamine" (they used to put this in gambler's drinks to make them lose all their money).

This indecent was unrelated to the pool rooms and reportedly a guy named "gordy" was responsible. All I know is it took me 3 days to get over it and I had trouble functioning anywhere close to "normally".

Just curious.....why would they slip you a motion sickness drug? Sure, they will make you sleepy but make you lose all your money?

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious.....why would they slip you a motion sickness drug? Sure, they will make you sleepy but make you lose all your money?

Motion sickness drug? That's a powerful and very dangerous drug. I had to take a similar drug called atropine to keep my pupil dilated for several weeks after I tore my iris in a shop accident. Even in the extremely low systemic dose you get from an eye drop I could feel the effects. Can't say I'd look kindly on a guy who jarred me with that stuff, it can make you go right out of your gourd.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it's used like Dramamine. In Mexico, patches are the most popular method of use. You can purchase them across the counter in Mexico. I have used it for deep sea fishing trips.

Found this...

"Although scopolamine is a dangerous drug, its anticholinergic properties give it some legitimate medical applications in very minute doses. As an example, in the treatment of motion sickness, the dose, gradually released from a transdermal patch, is only 330 micrograms (µg) per day. In rare cases, unusual reactions to ordinary doses of scopolamine have occurred including confusion, agitation, rambling speech, hallucinations, paranoid behaviors, and delusions.

Apparently it must be a mega-dosage of it.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. CJ Wiley.

Let us not forget that, Mr. CJ is the Captain of the USA pool team. And the ESPN world pool champion. Perhaps Luther, does not know about this?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Believe me, you do NOT want to learn this the hard way. 'The Game is the Teacher'

It puts you in a "delusional state" of awareness. I don't claim to know much about "jarr", except I was taught to look for it and protect myself from it.

These days at the gambling tournaments I'd be surprised if it's not still being used. The ones that are treturous enough to use it will also practice shooting it through a hypodermic needle in a fine spray that can by shot into a bottle of beer (soda, etc) several feet away.

Someone is wise to leave their drink covered at all times, and I still tend to "cover" even if there's a small possibility I may be gambling.

Once you get this stuff in your system you will not be able to defend yourself and you will be targeted and given a game you "think" you can win at then taken off for all you have and all you can usually get (money wise). Believe me, you do NOT want to learn this lesson the hard way. 'The Game is the Teacher'

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"legitimate" business world - was sometimes more treturous than the gambling world.

That's an amazing read. I read a bit more on your website. Does such a subculture still exist today? I would imagine it's suicidal in today's world.

No, due to many factors the day of the Road Player is pretty much over. There are still those that go on the road to tournaments and gamble in between, however, it would be next to impossible to make significant money doing it.

I had a stretch where I won over a million dollars in three years, and I had to beat 100% of the players I matched up with to do that. Of course other players were involved with me on more than one occasion, so I didn't end up with all the money.

States like Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and even Florida had MANY players that would give you the opportunity to win over $10,000. I won over 20k on several occasions and even won over 50k, but those were few and far between.

I enjoyed that lifestyle for many years, but it was also wearing mentally, physically - I was lucky to get involved in the Pool Room Business in the early 90s and get off the road for good. It's funny, when I got into the "legitimate" business world it was sometimes more treturous than the gambling world.

Especially in the bar business you really have to know how to set up "systems and controls" or the bartenders will "do a number on you". Luckily I learned the business over the course of the next 17 years and now help others manage, operate and promote bars, and nightclubs. I'm thinking about getting more involved with the Pool Room business again and opening up another room in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas area. Only time will tell. ;)

One thing I'm sure of, it's a much easier job than playing pool for a living. I see a lot of potential in the world of pool, however, TV will be the key element if it's ever to create an "up-cycle" again. 'The Game is the Teacher'

OklaPony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing the article, it's a great read. :thumbup:
“There were only three guys in the country I wouldn't play,” he says, “and I knew who those guys were.”

I can't believe nobody has seized upon this obvious opportunity, I'm hoping 20-ish years is enough water under the bridge to allow for an answer or at least some hints...

Who were the three guys you wouldn't play?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I once ran 19 staight racks on a guy (Dave Favor) with TR Staking me

Thanks for sharing the article, it's a great read. :thumbup:

I can't believe nobody has seized upon this obvious opportunity, I'm hoping 20-ish years is enough water under the bridge to allow for an answer or at least some hints...

Who were the three guys you wouldn't play?

I never did gamble with Buddy Hall. We played each other in a lot of tournaments, we even played in TWO finals back to back in Texas one week. He had my number when I was in my 20s and would run 5 or 6 racks every time we played (usually in a row).

Buddy and I both lived in Tampa Florida for a time and would practice together and he helped me with certain aspects of my game and I'm grateful to him for that. TR Macintosh was our "StakeHorse" in those days and together we won a LOT of money. I once ran 19 staight racks on a guy (Dave Favor) with TR Staking me in Melbourne Fl., but that's another story. ;)

So that answers a third of your question. I have to go now, I'll answer the rest later on tonight. Play well, with class, the Game is the Teacher. :thumbup:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Busty"....he was and still is the best shot-maker in the game in my opinion.

I'm guessing Efren and Vernon Elliot were the other 2. :scratchhead:

No, I played Vernon Elliot in Indianapolis for 12 hours and broke even (when I was 20/21). I played Efren for 14 hours in Seattle and ended up winning between 10/20k.

Efren and Vernon were two of the best {gambling} players in the world, I got to know Vernon later in life and I played Efren many times in tournaments. Bustemante and I had some heated battles too, he beat me one time in Chicago, and we broke even after 4 sets in LA. I managed a win playing Bustemante the first time he came to the US (there must have been over 400 people there that night) in a tournament in Burbank Ca 13/12.

We played some offensive pool to say the least, players didn't play as safe back then {there were no jump cues}. I had the "TOI" going full speed to keep up with "Busty"....he was and still is the best shot-maker in the game in my opinion.

We always played "One Foul" and races, my strongest game was "Two Foul" and Ahead Sets. There a significant difference, and it's also about preference, and I never was comfortable playing races/one foul for money. There was a lot more luck involved and it was a different type of pressure.