Classless Earl Strickland

I am reading a documentary on Bobby Fischer and it is amazing how much Earl and Bobby share in common.

Bobby and Earl are both considered geniuses at their games. Bobby's IQ is at genius level. It would be interesting to know Earl's IQ.

Both won the world championship.

Bobby was paranoid and thought everyone, especially the soviets, were out to get him.

Bobby complained about everything during his matches, the lights, the spectators, you name it, and made outlandish demands.

Bobby was unkind to opponents and generally disliked by his peers.

Both are considered charismatic and can be quite charming.

Bobby was eventually secluded and died of renal failure (a kidney problem). I just watched the video where Earl gets into an argument with JJ during a Bonus Ball match and yells out that he has had 8 surgeries. Someone mentioned they were from kidney stones.

They had a lot in common.

You think earl has a high IQ? :eek:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respect your opinion, but given Earl's history of mental illness, I am offended by this statement and others like it and worse in this thread from others.

If someone has a broken leg, you dont tell them to get up and walk it off. And you damn sure wouldnt call them a disgrace. With mental illness, you dont see a physical reason for his actions and behavior. But it is no different than the reason the person with a broken leg CANNOT stand up and walk it off. Mental illness is a medical problem, and with bipolar disorder, it is a serious chemical imbalance in the brain that can cause the person to do very bad things. It can be managed with various anti-psychotics and mood stabilizing drugs, but it is not curable. Relapses can happen even when people take their meds correctly.

The stigmas and false information in this world revolving around mental illness disgust me to the deepest levels.

Rant done.

Great post! Sadly, many won't take it to heart. It's really no different than making fun of the wheelchair division players. But, because he doesn't have a physical disability, they think he does it just because he chooses to be an ass at times. The fail to see that his nice personality is his real personality. I understand him not taking meds, because if he did, he never would have been the player he was. But, there comes a time when it's time to take the meds, an now might just be that time. His best days are behind him now. Maybe someone close to him can get him to finally start taking them.???

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a shame he behaves like that, but like so many have commented: what did you expect, it's Earl Strickland...
It's too late to do anything with his behaviour now, it's become his personality.
Still a grat poolplayer and shotmaker though...

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Earl IS mentally ill. If Earl isn't nuts then Charlie Manson was a normal guy.
2) I'd love to see somebody like Daz just totally kick his ass. Nick E. might leave him in a pile as well. Man, I'd be loving that.
3) Earl has done more to tear down pool than anybody else in the last twenty-five years. A complete role model for being a scumbag.

That about covers it.

You are convinced that Earl is mentally ill, and because of that you would love to see someone beat him up? And he's the sick one??

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respect your opinion, but given Earl's history of mental illness, I am offended by this statement and others like it and worse in this thread from others.

If someone has a broken leg, you dont tell them to get up and walk it off. And you damn sure wouldnt call them a disgrace. With mental illness, you dont see a physical reason for his actions and behavior. But it is no different than the reason the person with a broken leg CANNOT stand up and walk it off. Mental illness is a medical problem, and with bipolar disorder, it is a serious chemical imbalance in the brain that can cause the person to do very bad things. It can be managed with various anti-psychotics and mood stabilizing drugs, but it is not curable. Relapses can happen even when people take their meds correctly.

The stigmas and false information in this world revolving around mental illness disgust me to the deepest levels.

Rant done.

I completely agree. If you have any real sense of empathy then you might consider that it's not Earl's fault he acts this way. That is the way he is wired and he cannot change his condition and a lifetime of habits without a lot of work and support.

I might say that it's downright asinine to get mad at Earl and to lash out at him, but I know it's not your fault for doing so. You don't know any better.

And it all makes me sad :sad::sad::sad:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, this seems odd coming from you. You grew up in the pool world, full of rogues, lairs, cheats, thieves, drifters, hustlers, etc. But now, this world class player is nothing but a "moron" to you. Why does he rate to be thrown under the bus, but not the other "cast of characters" you have been around your entire life? Just curious, especially with someone that most suspect has an undiagnosed "condition".

And handling Earl at a tourney would be a CAKE WALK. You start umpiring some High School baseball games, and you might not make it back to your car. You will hear stuff coming from mom's in the stands that would make Earl blush. Earl is all bark and NO bite, and if ref's are afraid of that, they are in the wrong game. Just saying :grin:

Earl has earned his reputation by repeated bad behavior, far more-so than any other player I've ever encountered in thirty years of doing this job. Most of the "rogues" you refer to do not play in tournaments like the U.S. Open and if they do, they mind their manners. It's kind of like some poolrooms I used to run; we had some bad actors come in from time to time but if they behaved they were welcome and most of the time they acted accordingly.

Regardless of Earl's "condition" that does not give him a pass on acting like a professional. He knows my position on this and he does seem to behave better when he sees me around, and that's a good thing. What this indicates to me is that he knows full well what he's doing at all times.

P.S. I was a baseball umpire and basketball referee, working from Little League all the way up to Men's leagues. The worst problems I ever encountered were working Little League games, with PARENTS! I actually had to stop a game once until a father of the one of the players was ejected from the stadium. He had been standing behind the home plate screen yelling profanities at me for two innings. I warned him twice and the third time he was gone. I did look around for him after the game when I was leaving, but he was long gone. Just another big mouth with no balls. I've seen a thousand like him in my life. :cool:

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
1) Earl IS mentally ill. If Earl isn't nuts then Charlie Manson was a normal guy.
2) I'd love to see somebody like Daz just totally kick his ass. Nick E. might leave him in a pile as well. Man, I'd be loving that.
3) Earl has done more to tear down pool than anybody else in the last twenty-five years. A complete role model for being a scumbag.

That about covers it.

Get a clue dude. Meanwhile, let me guess. You don't watch the NBA or the NFL, billion dollar enterprises where athletes get paid MILLIONS, in some cases hundreds of millions of dollars.

Between the wife beatings, rapes, statutory rapes, attempted murder, murder child beatings, adulterers, gun violence, drug users, drug sellers and drug manufacturers, and really, just a whole lot of nasty individuals involved in these sports, they have NOT lost a dime, and have grown over the last few decades to the point the Super Bowl is the most watched event in the WORLD and are reaping in billions from sponsors, ticket sales, endorsement deals, TV rights, team jersey sales, etc. etc.

Heck, Michael Jordan was known as the biggest trash talker in NBA history, maybe in all of sports. Not nice stuff, cause he was trying to get you pissed off and off your game. He said stuff that would make a sailor blush. He went after you mamma, your wife, whatever he needed to get you pissed off.... he wanted to win. Oh, he's worth $1 Billion now and is part owner of an NBA franchise. His endorsement deals start at $20M per year. Nothing smaller is even considered.

But, now Earl, with some minor childish antics that one could consider "sharking" is the reason why pool is in the dumps. It's idiotic statements like this that make me think pool will never have a chance with the next generation thinking like this. Not a chance in the world.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Earl has earned his reputation by repeated bad behavior, far more-so than any other player I've ever encountered in thirty years of doing this job. Most of the "rogues" you refer to do not play in tournaments like the U.S. Open and if they do, they mind their manners. It's kind of like some poolrooms I used to run; we had some bad actors come in from time to time but if they behaved they were welcome and most of the time they acted accordingly.

Regardless of Earl's "condition" that does not give him a pass on acting like a professional. He knows my position on this and he does seem to behave better when he sees me around, and that's a good thing. What this indicates to me is that he knows full well what he's doing at all times.

Compared to the "real" sports, Earl is on good behavior. Nobody said you should not hold him accountable for any thing he does at a tourney. And the rogues you hung out with not all played in pro tourneys, and I'm guessing most, if not all, did things way beyond a few antics that Earl caused. Most of the things you probably could NOT print, nor want to tell anyone.

Yeah, I worked in my fathers pool room as a teenager, and I'd take 30 Earls over some of the low life's that came in to play pool and gamble. I mean, he moans and complains... holy crap, stop the presses, someone call the cops, hide your daughters, run for the hills, Earl is coming to getcha ;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Compared to the "real" sports, Earl is on good behavior. Nobody said you should not hold him accountable for any thing he does at a tourney. And the rogues you hung out with not all played in pro tourneys, and I'm guessing most, if not all, did things way beyond a few antics that Earl caused. Most of the things you probably could NOT print, nor want to tell anyone.

Yeah, I worked in my fathers pool room as a teenager, and I'd take 30 Earls over some of the low life's that came in to play pool and gamble. I mean, he moans and complains... holy crap, stop the presses, someone call the cops, hide your daughters, run for the hills, Earl is coming to getcha ;)

Let's get something straight here. My only interest is in running a good PROFESSIONAL tournament, and how the players behave during the event is essential to that happening. As a tournament director I will not put up with unsportsmanlike conduct by anyone, in whatever form that takes. Pool is supposed to be a sport of gentlemen and it will be on my watch!

This year we have introduced the Robles Sportsmanship Award to be given to the most deserving player, to recognize him or her for how they conduct themselves as a player and person.

Those of you who think that Earl's behavior is acceptable in the course of a major professional event are part of the problem. Condoning such behavior only reinforces in Earl's mind that it's all right to carry on like he does. If his medical condition is so bad that he cannot control himself, then he shouldn't be playing.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know him personally, but I think that his behavior may be intentional sometimes in order to burn off some tension and to rattle his opponent. I'm not entirely convinced that his behavior confirms that he has a mental health problem.

I also think that his behavior is sometimes a reflection on his frustration of not being as dominant as he once was. He may just be an extreme form of a sore loser.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's get something straight here. My only interest is in running a good PROFESSIONAL tournament, and how the players behave during the event is essential to that happening. As a tournament director I will not put up with unsportsmanlike conduct by anyone, in whatever form that takes. Pool is supposed to be a sport of gentlemen and it will be on my watch!

This year we have introduced the Robles Sportsmanship Award to be given to the most deserving player, to recognize him or her for how they conduct themselves as a player and person.

Those of you who think that Earl's behavior is acceptable in the course of a major professional event are part of the problem. Condoning such behavior only reinforces in Earl's mind that it's all right to carry on like he does. If his medical condition is so bad that he cannot control himself, then he shouldn't be playing.

Jay, please understand that there is a big difference between condoning his behavior, and understanding why he does what he does. What some of us are simply saying, is that he should not be made fun of because of his problems. Not that he should be allowed to act out in any setting he's in.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If his medical condition is so bad that he cannot control himself, then he shouldn't be playing.

I agree with this. If he is having trouble with his meds, including flat out not taking them, he needs to fix that first. If that means he wont be able to play as well, unfortunately thats the price he NEEDS to pay in order to not wreck his reputation any further.

Lets face it, he is definitely one of the best 9 ball players of all time, possibly THE best when you count the length of his pro career. Thats what he needs to be remembered for, not his angry outbursts.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
This is the Earl we have known for the last 15 plus years, a complete moron with severe mental issues. He needs to stay on his meds and stay away from pool tournaments. I hate seeing him at any tournament I'm working, because I know I will have problems with him before long.

Oh, the hypocrisy...

It's because of this "moron" that people like you and many others are still working in the pool industry by selling books, DVDs and whatever other crap to the real morons out there. If you, Sir, were a serious tournament director and you (honestly) didn't want Earl to come anywhere near your tournament (which is in your rights), all you had to do is simply ban him or disqualify him for bad behavior. Simple as that. But you 'll never do it, because the "moron" is still bringing the cash in for you to eat and still adds extra glamour to every tournament he enters.

This is a fine example why snooker is a gazillion times ahead of pool (at least American pool). Boy, they have dealt with quite a few morons but I have never heard a governing body official, tournament director etc. EVER allow himself to use such an expression for players.

They use to say the same things -- and worse -- about Alex Higgins.

When he passed, all those naysayers grieved the loss of a great one.

Shame on this thread!

Best comment by far!

The only classless thing in here is this thread.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oil and Water........

Can you imagine what we will see in another 10 years.

Crotchety old cuss, compounded with 7 different Michelin Man weights, hinged at the elbow, with a slightly forward balanced 94 inch cue, custom fitted blinders with the latest "Earl Beats" Headphones and he will still shoot your liver out.

Go Earl ....:thumbup: The Prince of Piss.

This may be, but at this time, nobody else in the world can wear the jacket that he wears. (This coming from someone who thinks he is a complete dick, and shows little to no class)

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
Earl Strickland is like a box of chocolates...never know what you're gonna get.

...sometimes you wish he hadn't come...
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...p4oAboonZMe0iLsTQ&sig2=HBpTHH-rAKCC9nY3oE9TuA

...and sometimes you're glad he did...
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=..._FdOAYrFD93R-_FMQ&sig2=KvY237dwJDvx-YMxklbr0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuhZ_DQjj4

i hang with the guy in ny a little bit and kinda happy that he's in the room.. he is the draw. i'll tell you this, he has the most recognizable voice in the game and when you hear it, it's like when ef hutton speaks....