Cleaning a Shaft

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
Routinely clean shaft with towel/paper towel everytime you get a chance. When you wash your hands and dry off with paper towel use that to wipe down shaft. I use Q-Wiz when I need to get it feeling slick very quickly, I use the multi-colored micro-mesh things every so often - and when I really need to get the thing CLEAN... I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some 91% Alcohol. From what I understand (and it makes sense) if you use water it's going to seep into the shaft and raise the grain, if you use Alcohol (the higher volume the better) it dries up to fast to raise the grain inside.

Hope that helps.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZE said:
Routinely clean shaft with towel/paper towel everytime you get a chance. When you wash your hands and dry off with paper towel use that to wipe down shaft. I use Q-Wiz when I need to get it feeling slick very quickly, I use the multi-colored micro-mesh things every so often - and when I really need to get the thing CLEAN... I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some 91% Alcohol. From what I understand (and it makes sense) if you use water it's going to seep into the shaft and raise the grain, if you use Alcohol (the higher volume the better) it dries up to fast to raise the grain inside.

Hope that helps.

your right the alchol is 95% alchol and 5% water and it does evorapte faster, you could use hair dryer to heat it up to speed it up even more. but why? so what if a shaft is black with whatever as long as its smooth with no dings and isnt sticky? there is zero need to do anything to it but play. the sticky stuff is oil from dirty hands(AWALYS wash your hands good before you play) denatured alchol wont remove any grease or oils but it will evoraporate fast. friction from a broken-in piece of leather will just burnish the hell out of it with some pure talc, not baby powder full of anti-caking agents and perfumesood talc is hard to find. if there is grease on a shaft its from improper use of the cue then yes you might have to cut a layer off the wood to make things good again, shaft maintance is done while your playing not after.

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sensation said:
What brand? Where did you buy it? No negative effect.. ever?

Purchased at Lowes. Dupont is the brand. Dry lube spray (blue can). In the spray lubricants area. No ill effects yet except the 2nd head I'm growing....kidding. Hard to say how much remains on your cue of course. Basically wipe on let it dry for a couple of minutes and wipe/buff off. I've also tried a spray car wax with teflon that seems to work OK as well. Since I play only a couple of times a week I'm not too concerned.

oneshotwiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I clean them with Shark Oil when I get home from shooting and then use the Q-wiz so I am not sealing any dirt, hand oil or chalk dust into the shafts. My shafts always feel and appear like they have never been used.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After cleaning with your favorite method (I use alcohol with Magic Eraser and then rub lightly with 0000 steel wool) try some RainX. This is the anti-fog stuff for car windshields, you can get it in a small bottle. Use just a small drop on a paper towel and burnish in briskly. Leaves your shaft super slick.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your right the alchol is 95% alchol and 5% water and it does evorapte faster, you could use hair dryer to heat it up to speed it up even more. but why? so what if a shaft is black with whatever as long as its smooth with no dings and isnt sticky? there is zero need to do anything to it but play. the sticky stuff is oil from dirty hands(AWALYS wash your hands good before you play) denatured alchol wont remove any grease or oils but it will evoraporate fast. friction from a broken-in piece of leather will just burnish the hell out of it with some pure talc, not baby powder full of anti-caking agents and perfumesood talc is hard to find. if there is grease on a shaft its from improper use of the cue then yes you might have to cut a layer off the wood to make things good again, shaft maintance is done while your playing not after.

I keep my hands clean and my shaft clean while I am playing.

You can’t avoid keeping something from getting on your shaft, but you can keep it to the minimum before it builds up and gets into the pores of the wood.

I always wipe my shafts down as soon as I take them out for playing and I wipe them again before putting them back in the case.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well after you get your shaft CLEAN, try a coat of CUE WAX PRN, (as nessary) so you never have to ask how to clean your shaft.😀😀😀😀😀😀

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Magic eraser, or hot water damn paper towel move fast and dry quickly with another on. Always done me right until I switched to carbo, now it just way easier.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do I clean my shaft? First, I hop into the shower. Lather the shaft well. Stroke vigorously.

Oh, you're talking about pool cue shafts. Oops, my bad.

For that, I still like the Cue Doctor cleaner and conditioner. It has been around for a long time and does a damn nice job for me.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I keep my hands clean and my shaft clean while I am playing.

You can’t avoid keeping something from getting on your shaft, but you can keep it to the minimum before it builds up and gets into the pores of the wood.

I always wipe my shafts down as soon as I take them out for playing and I wipe them again before putting them back in the case.

That's the problem, I'd guess.

I see less than half the guys washing their hands in the john, so their shafts have to be pretty scuzzy after so many pissings.

Jeff Livingston

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A moist paper towel, such as you might have after drying your hands, will take off 90% of any grimy build up on your shaft while you’re playing. Plus you get a clean bridge hand to boot. Of course I live in a relatively dry climate (Colorado) so your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Maybe they were trained to wash behind their ears but not their dick.

Wash your damn hands when you go to the bathroom.

i concur with hand washing as required and use brown chalk

burnish from time to time and your shaft will develop a golden patina in short order

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i concur with hand washing as required and use brown chalk

burnish from time to time and your shaft will develop a golden patina in short order

The cue and bottom two shafts in this photo are over 48 years old. I had it made in May 1973.

No nasty chalk stains here.

87503901-5E4A-443A-B9BB-3288C435C460.jpeg

146EF217-6679-4E4A-B3F2-FD730CC83689.jpeg