Cleaning Balls

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I have either just used Arimith ball cleaner and done them by hand or had my local pool room or billiard store do me a solid and do it for me as a courtesy for my business. I came upon a video that espoused putting a half a cup of bleach and a half a cup of water in a sink. Let them sit for a bit and then use a magic eraser and work them over and voila they look just like new. I have a set of Centennials and the last thing I want to do is ruin them if this is crazy. Anyone know anything about this cleaning method? Thanks in advance for your comments and knowledge.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Try it on a cheap ball first.
...a four or two ball...will show the flaws best.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
soak in warmn water tehn use the eraser on the spots.

then get some turtle wax scratch and polisher in the fine stuff. it doesnt wax the balls and takes out the fine scratches with enough rubbing. it is not hardly at all abrasive. so you may need to do it a few times. once if only to bring back the luster.

none of the billiard companies have factories to make their stuff. it is someones eles's repackaged and marked up many times.
there i no miracle chemicals discovered that work better on pool balls.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pass on the bleach. Can damage the balls...and not good to handle in general.

Try to make a ball cleaner. Not hard to do. Members have done it here. Also illustrated on YouTube

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I can't imagine that bleach wouldn't lighten the colors. I would pass.

All the best,
WW

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't give the water/bleach/eraser idea even 1 more second of thought - stick to Aramith Cleaner only

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made dental appliances. A certain orthodontic retainer I made for an office came back to me in pieces. 8 solder joints failed. The pieces broke loose from each other. I make it again and the same thing happens....comes back with broken solder joints. The clear acrylic is washed out looking. At this point I need to know what is going on. The office tells me the patient is soaking it in bleach.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I've never seen anyone use bleach. Magic Eraser is comparable 1500-2000 grit sandpaper. It dulled the finish on one of my sneaky petes. If you don't like Aramith Ball Cleaner, then use Turtle Wax.

karppa68

Registered
Autoglym Fast Glass is excellent cleaner.

It has no abrasives, waxes or silicones so I use to clean everything from pool balls to eyeglasses without fear of scratches or residues.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a system which involves cheapo liquid soap, water and paper towels.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a bottle of aramith cleaner that is probably 10yr old. And was under $10

Why would anyone feel the need to look for other alternatives?

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a problem at all with Aramith cleaner. I use it all the time. I wasn't looking for an alternative way to clean the balls. I just stumbled upon this bleach video which sounded a little weird to me so thought I would put it out for other opinions. I think the vote was unanimous ... it is weird. A side note to pt's suggestion---I don't have a cheap 4 or 2 ball! Send me one and I'll report back the results. ;)

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to A representative for Simonis and Aramith on Friday about this. Said use ball cleaner (Aramith or other) and a microfiber cloth or ball cleaning machine. They said never use winded, bleach or other cleaners.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a problem at all with Aramith cleaner. I use it all the time. I wasn't looking for an alternative way to clean the balls. I just stumbled upon this bleach video which sounded a little weird to me so thought I would put it out for other opinions. I think the vote was unanimous ... it is weird. A side note to pt's suggestion---I don't have a cheap 4 or 2 ball! Send me one and I'll report back the results. ;)

Split the difference and use a three ball.
:cool:

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I Arimith Ball cleaner for years and never liked it. Tried several different methods. This stuff here is the best I have found. They use it on billiards balls where a little film left on the balls makes a huge difference. This stuff leaves no film and cleans better than anything I have ever used. The bottles do go bad after a while but they are cheap. Around $6 is what you should pay. There are ripoffs out there selling this stuff for $30.

ozonepark_2460_1118849948

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to Diamond about cleaners and they don't recomment the Aramith ball cleaner as they says it's abrasive. They like the Meguier's Ultimate Detailer when used with their ball polisher machine.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I talked to Diamond about cleaners and they don't recomment the Aramith ball cleaner as they says it's abrasive. They like the Meguier's Ultimate Detailer when used with their ball polisher machine.

BallStar's polish works well with machines.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's more to ball cleaners than how shiny you can get the balls. People come up with all these weird concoctions, automotive products, whatever. Just use the Aramith. It is formulated especially for pool balls.

Lots of people say they like this cleaner or that, but what does that really mean? One thing people do not usually consider is that if you use your own cleaner, the balls may not throw consistently. I showed this in a study of Aramith vs Novus. While shooting the same ball under controlled conditions for about 25 times, the balls cleaned with Aramith threw the same throughout. Balls cleaned with Novus threw very little for the first several shots, and then threw more and more as I continued the trial. I have the study posted on AZ somewhere. I recall that it didn't take very many shots before the balls started throwing more and more.

Just use the Aramith, IMO.