Cleaning diamond PRC rails

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. It didnt. PlastX reduced throw by more then an inch. The Aramith reduced it by almost 1 1/2 Inches. Again, get it right.

But I do agree that there is such a thing as too much wax.

You aren't going to get me to agree with you that automotive products should be used on phenolic pool balls just like I am not going to convince you they shouldn't. Agree to disagree; no harm, no foul. Use whatever you want and enjoy the game.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But there was more spin transfer on the PlastiX cleaned balls which caused it to bank longer (closer to the pocket) than the dirty balls.
Ok. I get it. I guess I drew a blank on my reading comprehension for a moment

There was less throw, but appears there was a little more spin. I still haven't been able to figure out how they are not inclusive to one another. I wish someone would re-enact my experiment to confirm my results. I only brought this up because you were being contradictory. You said use no wax, but then say it's okay to use aramith cleaner.

Last edited:

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Back to the rails...

The father of the father/son duo that installed my table suggested to use bee's wax, and they work for Diamond directly. So far all I've done to the rails has been wiping them down with a slightly damp microfiber towel. Seems like adding anything to a rag and rubbing the rails would eventually transfer into the bumper cloth and discolor or something. I'll stick to a clean and slightly damp towel on mine for now. (y)

Nyquil

Back to the rails...

The father of the father/son duo that installed my table suggested to use bee's wax, and they work for Diamond directly. So far all I've done to the rails has been wiping them down with a slightly damp microfiber towel. Seems like adding anything to a rag and rubbing the rails would eventually transfer into the bumper cloth and discolor or something. I'll stick to a clean and slightly damp towel on mine for now. (y)
Bees wax is something I have heard works as well. I have never messed around it though. What I like about that cleaner I mentioned is it is free of any dye. It's a clear liquid and not oily at all.

Veteran68

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just had my 9' Pro Am (Black PRC) delivered 3 days ago. Mine doesn't have any of the other issues you mentioned, but I did notice that the PRC rails smudged up really easily. So I grabbed a pack of 75% IPA wipes I had lying nearby, and damn near had a panic attack thinking I'd ruined the finish! I've never seen IPA harm a set finish like that, but it smeared and looked hazy and terrible. I was able to keep rubbing at it to see that it didn't appear to be permanent damage, but came here looking for cleaning tips. Thanks for the Chemical Guys Total Interior suggestion, I just ordered a bottle to try.

Also have the Diamond ball polisher coming; my local dealer did the install and had driven to the Diamond factory to pick up my table the day before, but forgot the polisher! So I have to wait for his next trip. I have the Aramith cleaner/polisher combo kit already. I also have a bottle of Brillianize cleaner/polish that was recommended here that I used to use for hand cleaning balls. Has anyone tried it in the Diamond polisher?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a tournament and noticed a machine polisher and asked the guy what he used. He told me car wax...

I am not a player who uses a glove and have always been able to maintain smoothness just by washing hands and using damp paper towel on the shaft.

While those balls might have been shiny as s***, but everything was so sticky that I added a couple of gloves to my e shopping basket to consider ordering later.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just had my 9' Pro Am (Black PRC) delivered 3 days ago. Mine doesn't have any of the other issues you mentioned, but I did notice that the PRC rails smudged up really easily. So I grabbed a pack of 75% IPA wipes I had lying nearby, and damn near had a panic attack thinking I'd ruined the finish! I've never seen IPA harm a set finish like that, but it smeared and looked hazy and terrible. I was able to keep rubbing at it to see that it didn't appear to be permanent damage, but came here looking for cleaning tips. Thanks for the Chemical Guys Total Interior suggestion, I just ordered a bottle to try.

Also have the Diamond ball polisher coming; my local dealer did the install and had driven to the Diamond factory to pick up my table the day before, but forgot the polisher! So I have to wait for his next trip. I have the Aramith cleaner/polisher combo kit already. I also have a bottle of Brillianize cleaner/polish that was recommended here that I used to use for hand cleaning balls. Has anyone tried it in the Diamond polisher?
You'll enjoy the machine/cleaner. I have only used the Aramith ball cleaner and like enough to keep repeating using it. Enjoy the Pro-Am. We'll figure out the PRC. I tried something and freaked also.

Nyquil

The chemical guys cleaner works great you will be pleased. It has no dyes or anything that will stain and dries clear. In regards to the aramith cleaner I haven't used it in my diamond polisher I use megs cleaner wax. Just make sure you're careful with how much cleaner you use. Just a couple of drops is all you need or you will soak the carpet.

djg576

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After reading through this thread and the differing opinions, the thought crossed my mind that when using particular products in a ball cleaner if you are still using the existing pads/scrubber/buffer/carpet interior, then you can't help but cross contaminate the products. By the way this was my first post I recall NOT being a smart ass. No thanks necessary. Have a nice day

Nyquil

After reading through this thread and the differing opinions, the thought crossed my mind that when using particular products in a ball cleaner if you are still using the existing pads/scrubber/buffer/carpet interior, then you can't help but cross contaminate the products. By the way this was my first post I recall NOT being a smart ass. No thanks necessary. Have a nice day
Yea it's inevitable if you are using more than one product. I will try a set ball cleaner at some point just to see what the difference is. The meg's works great for me but I understand the concern of some with it not being a specific ball cleaner. At the end of the day RKC said it's the best thing he has seen to use in the polisher and Glen knows his shit.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Diamond Pool Ball Cleaner. I have used Briallianize to clean the balls . Seems to do a fairly good job. My only gripe is that they don't seem to stay clean for long as I would like, but that might be because of a dirty pool table. My local pool hall (Chris's Billiards) uses a Ballstar machine with Ballstar cleaner and the balls look great. Does anyone know of the make-up of the Ballstar cleaning solution as far as wax and silicone content? Can/should it be used with a Diamond Pool Ball washer?

Regardless of what machine or cleaner you use, I have learned you do have to regularly clean those pads as they pickup chalk, dirt and cleaner. My pads clean easily with hot lightly soaped water.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Glen said the Aramith stuff gums up the carpet quick. I know Tiger and a few other manufacturers make a set cleaner. They do come out slick but they don't stay that way for long in my experience. I haven't looked at the MSDS sheets to compare the difference.
I have had my Diamond ball polisher for over 7 years and still have the original pads in them. Almost all of the videos I have seen of people using Diamond polishers use way too much Aramith ball cleaner. I have seen people putting a stripe containing at least 3 or 4 drops on each ball and then turn on the polisher, the balls almost stop moving. I use 1 drop on every other ball or 8 drops for a complete set. If I want to just do a quick clean up on a set that was recently polished I throw them in for 5 minutes with no polish.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had my Diamond ball polisher for over 7 years and still have the original pads in them. Almost all of the videos I have seen of people using Diamond polishers use way too much Aramith ball cleaner. I have seen people putting a stripe containing at least 3 or 4 drops on each ball and then turn on the polisher, the balls almost stop moving. I use 1 drop on every other ball or 8 drops for a complete set. If I want to just do a quick clean up on a set that was recently polished I throw them in for 5 minutes with no polish.
That's about the same amount I use. I can only clean half a ball set at at time in my bucket pokisher. Use 3 to 4 drops per half set. More then enough.

I do notice the balls come out with a film that needs rubbed off with a microfiber towel. Anyone else have this issue? Used new pads and carpet in polisher.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That's about the same amount I use. I can only clean half a ball set at at time in my bucket pokisher. Use 3 to 4 drops per half set. More then enough.

I do notice the balls come out with a film that needs rubbed off with a microfiber towel. Anyone else have this issue? Used new pads and carpet in polisher.
Depending on how much residue is on the the bottom cleaning pad and the side carpet pad determines how much haze you will have when the balls are finished. Even new pads will leave a little of the Aramith product. I always wipe mine down with a soft cloth when done and I don't use a microfiber towel for this. It is a good Idea to set the polished balls aside for a few hours to cure as many waxes should cure and I believe will get harder with a little time.

For about four dollars at Harbor Freight, I buy a new Microfiber pad for my bucket polisher twice a year. Although they can be washed also. I have learned to cut the side carpet to the right length so it fits the inside of the bucket perfectly. I also stick a couple of small pieces of adhesive Velcro to the inside of the bucket and matching pieces to the back of the carpet to ensure the carpet does not slip lower in the bucket.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I cleaned the rails with Murphys soap spray(sprayed onto a micro fiber first). Next sprayed yellow Beeswax onto a micro cloth and did the rails. Does not look substantially better. Am I doing do something wrong. Should the beeswax be applied with a buffer. Are the PRC rail suppose to have a dull appearance. Am I wasting my time. I have no problem simply wiping the rails with a slightly damp cloth and leaving them as is but feel like experimenting

Last edited:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I just clean the rails with a damp microfiber cloth, same as I use on the table cloth.

-dj