cole dixon or n.y.blackie ?

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen both play once each many years ago. Any old-timers out there? If so could you compare them. And throw in Denny Searcey too.
 
fan-tum said:
I've seen both play once each many years ago. Any old-timers out there? If so could you compare them. And throw in Denny Searcey too.

There have been quite a few posts on here about all of them. Cole was a monster 9 ball and payball player when he was a kid. He and Keith McReady were the best young players I ever saw play. I played Searcy some snooker on an easy 5 x 10 at San Gabriel Bowl in the 60's and it looked like he was playing straight pool he shot so straight. Also played a lot of ring games with him on the 6 x 12 (Big Bertha) in Bellflower in the 70's. He could drink a fifth of whiskey, stall and still get the $$. Blackie also played on the 6 x 12, but wasn't around the same time as Searcy in CA. He played all games just a tick below the very best IMO.

As far as comparing them, I think Cole had the best 9 ball game in his prime, but all of them could beat each other, and all of them played the other games. Searcy was the best on a snooker table by far. All three got in my pocket a bit over the years. John
 
fan-tum said:
I've seen both play once each many years ago. Any old-timers out there? If so could you compare them. And throw in Denny Searcey too.


John's post was a very accurate one.

I would add that Cole had the most natural talent of the 3 you mentioned, Denny probably practiced and played the most and was also very popular with other players. Al was just a notch below these other two (Cole & Denny). He was Buddy Hall's road partner and set up man for a while and one of Buddy's very best friends for a long time.
 
I played all three many times. My rating would be Cole, Denny, then Blackie. This Would be nine ball on the big track table.
In snooker it would be Denny, Blackie then Cole.
 
dabarbr said:
I played all three many times. My rating would be Cole, Denny, then Blackie. This Would be nine ball on the big track table.
In snooker it would be Denny, Blackie then Cole.


Thanks Frank. We agree. Cole was a great one as a youngster, both at 9-Ball and One Pocket. He had to spot everyone this side of Richie (9-Ball) and Ronnie (One Pocket). Denny was simply the best I ever saw at Pay Ball on a 10' snooker table. That's one game where I would have put him up against all those European snooker stars. The second best was Cliff and he became a world snooker champion a few years later.

Cole had such a powerful stroke, second only to Cornbread in my estimation. Denny had sheer finesse, the best this side of Efren. Blackie was a cold blooded hustler, looking for easier pickings than these guys were after. He could definitely play, but wasn't in their league when it came to playing good players and taking it off.
 
jay helfert said:
Thanks Frank. We agree. Cole was a great one as a youngster, both at 9-Ball and One Pocket. He had to spot everyone this side of Richie (9-Ball) and Ronnie (One Pocket). Denny was simply the best I ever saw at Pay Ball on a 10' snooker table. That's one game where I would have put him up against all those European snooker stars. The second best was Cliff and he became a world snooker champion a few years later.

Cole had such a powerful stroke, second only to Cornbread in my estimation. Denny had sheer finesse, the best this side of Efren. Blackie was a cold blooded hustler, looking for easier pickings than these guys were after. He could definitely play, but wasn't in their league when it came to playing good players and taking it off.
Hey Jay you know my mother still has the biggest crush on Cliff. I think it was that whole Canadian lumberjack thing he had going on. I met him about 5 years ago at a Joss tournament and that was the first time I saw him play pool. He was the first non British player to kick some real ass in snooker.
 
Terry Ardeno said:
John's post was a very accurate one.

I would add that Cole had the most natural talent of the 3 you mentioned, Denny probably practiced and played the most and was also very popular with other players. Al was just a notch below these other two (Cole & Denny). He was Buddy Hall's road partner and set up man for a while and one of Buddy's very best friends for a long time.


And Cole still has a beautiful game. Played in a tournament with him last winter. Will be seeing him in a couple months.
 
Blackie lived here in Jackson, MS for a year before moving to NOLA. He was super fun and funny to hang with but like John and Jay have said, played a bit under Cole and Denny. Cole never made it through here, that I know of but Denny was a killer on all tables playing all games. When Dan Louie came through Baton Rouge and beat Buddy on the 8' table with the big ball all the money in the south was on him when he played Denny in Biloxi. That had to be the fattest, money wise, Denny ever was after sticking Dan Louie in the out house and winning all the cash in three states. What a player Denny was.
 
hemicudas said:
.....after sticking Dan Louie in the out house and winning all the cash in three states. What a player Denny was.


One of the funniest and most original lines I ever heard was when Jay said that Corey and Alex "ransacked and pilaged" the nation when they were road partners.

You line, quoted above, ranks right there with his!:D Good one!
 
Cole beat Denny Searcy

hemicudas said:
Cole never made it through here, that I know of but Denny was a killer on all tables playing all games. What a player Denny was.

I heard that Cole Dixon played pay ball down in LA on a snooker table and busted all the great players there including Denny Searcy. Cole took everyones money and a few pink slips to their cars. Win or lose, Cole did not hesitate to bet it up. The person that can verify what happened is Poker Paul & Bucktooth.

Bucktooth then played Cole with the 6 ball I believe and broke him and ended up with all the money. Cole had Bucktooth down to his last $3K cashier's check and Cole did not think it was real money but finally played and lost his whole bank roll including what he had won beating everyone else in pay ball game. Cole missed a 6 ball once and that was the end of his run, Tooth came on strong and ended up with all the cash.

Sometime later, The Tooth ran into Bill Cardona and lost it all to him, however, the Tooth had beaten Billy some 50 games prior as Billy has indicated in prior threads.

What comes around goes around sometimes and too bad we did not get to see these great matches.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top