Commentary on Guinness World Series

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have seen a couple of guys talking about the commentary on the event. That guy is Chuck Shriner.He is totally crap. That is why i rather mute my pool matches when he is doing the commentary. He has no knowledge on pool at all. This is what we have to put up with here, he has been doing pool commentary for a couple years.

Last edited:

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have seen a couple of guys talking about the commentary on the event. That guy is Chuck Shriner.He is totally crap. That is why i rather mute my pool matches when he is doing the commentary. He has no knowledge on pool at all. This is what we have to put up with here, he has been doing pool commentary for a couple years.

I only saw the end of the Shane match and sound was not working.

However, if Chuck and the other idiot that have been calling the Guinness matches for the last several years were there, I agree with you completely.

They are totally useless and full of bad information. Would be better to go pick up two winos off the street to comment

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be thankful, it could be worse. Jim Wych could be doing commentary.

Thats the bad part about this. Jim Wych is my least favorite commentator of all time (by far) and I found myself begging for him in the booth when I heard this guy talking! :p

Bottom line I'm thrilled the event is being televised for everyone to see, it's just painful to hear some of the stuff that guy spits out :/

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've worked with Chuck. HOPELESS! He insisted on calling me Ray for the entire match, even when I wrote my name on a napkin for him. He's a "contract" worker for ESPN Star Asia and does many sports for them. Pool shouldn't be one of them! Jim Wych gives him the Orange Crush!

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Thats the bad part about this. Jim Wych is my least favorite commentator of all time (by far) and I found myself begging for him in the booth when I heard this guy talking! :p

Bottom line I'm thrilled the event is being televised for everyone to see, it's just painful to hear some of the stuff that guy spits out :/

Whoa!! You're saying there's someone that makes you wish for Jim Wych?!?!:eek: **Pausing to let this sink in**

Never thought I see this day!!

malvindo

Registered
hmm lucky me, since i attend there so no need to hear commentary ;)

but, if some noobs sit beside me, sometimes make funny comment ;)

that's why i hope i come with my friends tomorow :grin:eek:r try to kidnapp some local pro player since they make better comment ;)

mudball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoa!! You're saying there's someone that makes you wish for Jim Wych?!?!:eek: **Pausing to let this sink in**

Never thought I see this day!!

LOL I know right?? Jay summed it up best I think, those comments don't surprise me at all. I was actually going to make a post telling Jay to get with this guy and share some knowledge but I can see that would be a lost cause. What a complete flake!

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only saw the end of the Shane match and sound was not working.

However, if Chuck and the other idiot that have been calling the Guinness matches for the last several years were there, I agree with you completely.

They are totally useless and full of bad information. Would be better to go pick up two winos off the street to comment

Yup, both of them are still there. Bob Gurrero and Chuck Shriner. Bob is not too good to say the least but Chuck is far worst. And no one comes close, for those who have not heard him, you got your chance the next 2 days. But i rather switch to Chinese commentary if i could or just mute it.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The best Commentary I've heard lately was Joey A's at Galverston. No matter how good the guy in the booth is it's hard to say something new that most hardcore players that make up most of the stream and chat haven't heard or know. Most of us know what shots are next and how the player will try to get there. Somehow Joey got a steady parade of top pros to sit with him in the booth giving out little tricks of the trade, like why to take one shot or route and not another. I think this is the way to go for streaming. Get pros in the booth that are playing or played in the tournament. They can give insight into the tables, playing conditions, and how other players are playing in this tournament. It can also be a win situation for the pros that do a good job in the booth holding the fans intrest. Sponsors see that they know how to talk to people and will sponsor some of them for their products. Johnnyt

Last edited:

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple years ago I sent a message to Guinness complaining about these guys and asking that they get ESPN to change. You can see how much influence I have.

I agree that Bob is slightly better than Chuck but a drunk walrus would also be better than Chuck.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best Commentary I've heard lately was Joey A's at Galverston. No matter how good the guy in the booth is it's hard to say something new that most hardcore players that make up most of the stream and chat haven't heard or know. Most of us know what shots are next and how the player will try to get there. Somehow Joey got a steady parade of top pros to sit with him in the booth giving out little tricks of the trade, like why to take one shot or route and not another. I think this is the way to go for streaming. Get pros in the booth that are playing or played in the tournament. They can give insight into the tables, playing conditions, and how other players are playing in this tournament. It can also be a win situation for the pros that do a good job in the booth holding the fans intrest. Sponsors see that they know how to talk to people and will sponsor some of them for their products. Johnnyt

Good post I've been saying that forever.

A lot of commentators seem to think they are Bob Costas (he always sounds like people tune in for him and not the sporting event). I like commentary to add/explain not detract from the event with a lot of useless chatter.

When I watch streams some of the better commentators would never be confused with a professional commentator, but their insight is great.

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple years ago I sent a message to Guinness complaining about these guys and asking that they get ESPN to change. You can see how much influence I have.

I agree that Bob is slightly better than Chuck but a drunk walrus would also be better than Chuck.

I did the same too, sending them e mail and stuff, but did not get a reply.

bhobg

Hello from Bob

Hi! Bob Guerrero here. :)

Don't worry, I appreciate all your comments. I know I'm not the greatest. I am just a geek who loves the game as much as ya'll do.

I actually prefer being an anchor for Pool and having someone more knowledgeable be an analyst. But ESPN and the other networks also have trouble getting knowledgeable people, especially those who speak well.

If you guys have any suggestions for me to do my job better I'd most appreciate it.

Have a nice day and keep on shootin! :)