Conditions to participate in the upcoming U.S. Open

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I'd tell Barry, son Eddie and that Emily chick to go piss up a rope. Fkng dictator shit.

Agreed but let’s not forget the ESPN precedent I referenced. For those of us not making our lively hood from the game as a top pro it is easy to tell them to get bent….for a top international pro…man car lots ain’t doing too good right now homie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this would forbid players from entering the US Open 8 ball, 10 ball, and 1 pocket events? Seems quite shady to me.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was brought to my attention today. What do you think?
Looks like an empty scare tactic to me. I suppose the only thing they could do is ban them from future US Open 9 Ball events which would be Matchroom shooting themselves in the foot. Would a player rather play in just the US Open 9 Ball or play in the International 9 Ball Open, US Open 8 Ball, US Open 10 Ball and US Open One Pocket? I think players would rather play in multiple events vs restricted to only one. All along I thought Matchroom was a well run, professional organization. Man, was I off base.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
So this would forbid players from entering the US Open 8 ball, 10 ball, and 1 pocket events? Seems quite shady to me.
If Matchroom gives a reasonable justification for withholding its consent, then yes, it would. Not clear what "US Open Championship" style means either. The tournament format? The name? Too broad. As others have pointed out, it's also not clear what the default and remedies are under the agreement, either. Words on paper can be scary. Actually enforcing them is another matter.

It's not well drafted, for sure. Not clear to me how barring a player from a US Open in a different game (8, 10, 1P, 14.1) protects MR's rights to the US Open 9 Ball. Even if there were some possible confusion, it would be immediately clear it isn't the same game, not promoted by MR, not streamed by MR/DAZN, etc. Not clear to me how having US Open's in different games is a detriment to the strength of US Open 9 Ball.

Unfortunately the players don't have a lawyer negotiating these things on their behalf.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most players are SO broke that they'd walk barefoot thru a mile of broken glass to have a shot at US Open kind of money. Matchroom knows this and will play this 'non-compete' card until someone calls them on it. Could get a tad ugly.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They probably intend to rename it to the US Open Pool Championships or some crap like that, like what they did to the WPA World 9 Ball. Maybe some people will wake up to Matchroom eventually :unsure:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They probably intend to rename it to the US Open Pool Championships or some crap like that, like what they did to the WPA World 9 Ball. Maybe some people will wake up to Matchroom eventually :unsure:
I think that MR has done a lot of good for cuesports over the last 30yrs but telling someone where they can/can't play is crossing the line. Basically making them sign a contract of sorts. As much as i hate lawyers getting involved i see this going that way.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oops, now that I look out there it appears they already did rename it. Didn't even notice. Guess they don't want that brand diminished by those little Vegas CSI Opens. LOL

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Oops, now that I look out there it appears they already did rename it. Didn't even notice. Guess they don't want that brand diminished by those little Vegas CSI Opens. LOL

Wonder if they will have the waiver next year too and add a form so the players can go piss.

I’ll bet all the broadcast for the USA will be Facebook and you tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, who is to determine what is a U.S. Open Championship-style pool event? Notice the missing hyphen in the descriptive adjective between "Championship and "style" as well in 12.1. Not a clear description at all for a legally binding agreement.

And the last parenthetical is misleading: (such consent shall not be unreasonably be withheld). What does this mean? Two "be" words in the same phrase? Legal interpretation could have a field day with this mumbo jumbo.

Hire a professional if you're going to ask people to sign a legally binding document.

As an aside, I remember one year when Greg Sullivan was trying to create a summer Derby City Classic down South, and at the very last minute, some pros pulled out and wanted to go to Vegas to compete in the Bonus Ball league, which as we all know failed to succeed. It was a slap in the face to Greg Sullivan. He was going to create a second Derby City Classic in the summer season. I know Greg Sullivan felt some hurt from how some pros deserted him, the same pros who promised him they would show up, the same pros who he gave FREE entry and FREE lodging to in Louisville. But pro players are free agents and independent contractors, not employees. There is no professional organization for professional pool players. The Billiard Congress of America deserted professional pool, even though they are supposed to be the governing body of professional pool. They should change their name. What he hell kind of congress of America is a billiard entity that does not support professional pool? They should change their name to Billiard Industry Member Association. They have no right to continue to be the governing body of professional pool when they don't do much, if anything, for North American professional players.

Everybody says you need BCA and WPA in order for pool to get in the Olympics. Well, by golly, make these entities do more for professional pool. WPA just wants to get their hand greased by wealthy Middle Eastern entities so they can travel around the world for free, and BCA? Shame, shame, shame on you for deserting our players. You industry members need to step and support professional pool or give up the name "Billiard Congress of America." What does that name have to do with the industry member membership? Nothing. If they lived up to their name, they would be addressing issues like the subject of this thread instead of hiding in the bushes counting their profits while professional pool continues to circle the drain.

In my opinion and according to the IRS, you cannot dictate rules and restrictions like this on independent contractors. Most pro pool players are unsponsored and free agents. They are, by the definition of the IRS, independent contractors. You can, however, make these rules and restrictions on employees. Big difference! This agreement cannot be legally binding, in my opinion, unless the pool players who sign it are employees.
This::

In my field I have had to sign employment agreements that could be taken to include::
a) if they taught me to speak, I would have to forget how to speak, if I left the company--clearly unenforceable.
b) if they taught me to write, I would have to forget how to write, if I left the company--clearly unenforceable.

Courts take a dim view to these kinds of clause wording--but only if these things get to their presence.

Who we need is a top 100 pool player that also happens to be an attorney and have him take them to court.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 75

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
This::

In my field I have had to sign employment agreements that could be taken to include::
a) if they taught me to speak, I would have to forget how to speak, if I left the company--clearly unenforceable.
b) if they taught me to write, I would have to forget how to write, if I left the company--clearly unenforceable.

Courts take a dim view to these kinds of clause wording--but only if these things get to their presence.

Who we need is a top 100 pool player that also happens to be an attorney and have him take them to court.

Contracts don't automatically enforce. It would be up to Matchroom to go to court to get an injunction to prevent players from participating in other "open" events or to seek money damages for the player's breach. But as you noted, courts take a dim view of these clauaes and they must be precisely tailored to be enforceable. Many states (California) probhit agreements like this. I would be surprised if this clause passes muster anywhere.

Most likely Matchroom included this clause as a way to bar undesirable players from future events. This was the tact that Brunswick took with Greenleaf, leading to Ralph suing after Brunswick didn't let him play in the world championship.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And??? Boiler-plate stuff touting their greatness. No mention of players having to sign exclusive no-compete contracts.
I'm thinking long term here. This article gives me hope for pool to grow as a sport. I don't think those were "no-compete contracts." It was a poorly worded player agreement, and whoever created it should leave stuff like this to the professionals. It was obviously a Matchroom staff member and not a legal professional.

That said, a pool player should not have to sign a legally binding contract or agreement unless there's a professional tour and/or a professional pool organization. If you read the article, it is very enlightening and points in this direction. I think if a pool player was guaranteed events to compete in throughout the year, much like snooker is today, things would be quite different.

At any rate, us railbirds, speaking for myself, don't have much of a say in all this. It's really the players who have to decide if this is going in the right direction for them.

As far as that agreement, it's trash as far as I'm concerned and would never hold up in court.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wowzers is all I have to say. I've known Barry for a long time now and if he says something it means something! He does not blow hot air and is not one to blow his own horn either. What he does is make things happen! I had my spin as a promoter of major pool tournaments and they were successful with large crowds of people in attendance every day, but I didn't know how to capitalize on that and that's the difference between Barry/Matchroom and me. I am man enough to admit they are better equipped to lead this sport out of the dark ages and perhaps bring it back to its luster as a spectaor sport it enjoyed in the 1920's. That would make me a happy man to see our sport finally receive the recognition it deserves as the great and difficult game it is. I will be the first in line to stand up and applaud their efforts if they are successful.

I think by now we all should know that what we have been dong in this country has not moved the sport forward. We have been in a status quo situation for decades. It is exactly how Barry and Mike outlined it here, where only a handful of players can really make a living as professional pool players. I think Mike would agree with me that if someone (Matchroom) was up to changing that landscape we would say, "Go for it!"

I think the OP I put on here featured a "condition" that was poorly worded and not well thought out. They need someone to put a more polished touch on what they are up to and not spring it on the players at the last minute. Perhaps a well thought out speech at the players meeting that outlined the direction Matchroom is going would have received a better response.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And??? Boiler-plate stuff touting their greatness. No mention of players having to sign exclusive no-compete contracts.
Agreed. It was an article full of maybes and what if's. Sounded more
propagand-ish to me. But I hope for the best. I would like to see the Glass City Open played in Toledo again. Maybe someday.