Confusion!.......Spin the Cue ball or Center Cue ball MOSTLY?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Apologies, now I am confused. I am always wanting to learn and improve. If you are trying to say something different, could you clarify that for me so I can better understand please? Thank you!
I didn't "try" to say anything. I responded to what you had said and I'll let you interpret that as you see fit. I did not agree or disagree with anything you said. I just added to it. I'm sorry if that is difficult for you to understand. All I can say is read it again and then again if you must. It's not complicated.

chenjy9

I didn't "try" to say anything. I responded to what you had said and I'll let you interpret that as you see fit. I did not agree or disagree with anything you said. I just added to it. I'm sorry if that is difficult for you to understand. All I can say is read it again and then again if you must. It's not complicated.
Understand now, thanks

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The easiest shot in pool is a dead straight shot. There’s only one way to hit it-straight.

Everything after that gets complex.

So learn to shoot straight, then take on other ideas until you reach your potential.

not complicated-at first anyways

best
Fatboy

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
When I am able to shoot center and or vertical axis, the calculations are in the addition relm. Moving to the side adds another variable that the math analogy would be the calculations involve multiplication. Still easy stuff but statistics tell me that I make more mistakes with multiplication than addition. With side the speed( velocity and rpm) can change the path of the cue ball as well as the path of the object ball.
Barry Stark refered to side as "that damn stuff". Mastering center ball can be accomplished by playing with a phenolic tip and no chalk.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I have not posted much in a long time but I must have 30 posts on the cue ball and control, this is a repeat I am sure. I'll just call this number 31. If you want to be a player , strike the cue ball everywhere on the face. If you are gun shy then accept your level of play and go bowling. There is nothing wrong with playing center cue ball, just 99 out of 99 great players use english, center included, and the percent may be higher than that.
You must be able to do it all, all of it, the whole Enchilada.

THE CUE BALL, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CUE BALL, everything else is secondary and is easily learned compared to the cue ball.
Straight stroke and cue ball knowledge and you have a winner winner lobster dinner.

Its the cue ball, the other balls are pretty in color, nice and shiney, and get in your way of moving the cue ball around the table, sometimes 2 inches, sometimes 18 ft.
You play pool with the cue ball while you solve puzzles with those 15 pretty colored balls. You should wake up in the morning and hug the cue ball, hug it, put it against your neck and say I love you cue ball.

Pocketing, aiming, banks,kicks, stance, eyes, games ,feet, patterns, systems, etc. are easy peasey to learn compared to the cue ball. Probably 95% of that you can get out of any book or the internet 100 times over. You can learn it in a few hours,,,even minutes. Practice !!!!

If you want to learn the cue ball more quickly get on a billiard table and play straight rail, 1,2,3 cushion billiards, eventually just playing 3 cushion. If a billiard table is not available then just use a 9 ft. table and deal with the pockets, you will cut your learning curve significantly.
You will learn every microdot there is to strike the cue ball clean and never think you will miscue as you slide out to the far edges. You will learn exactly how the cue ball will react with english, speed, and stroke technique. Shortening, sharpen and lengthen angles becomes no big deal. Your confidence will rise to the top as will your game. Once you play 3 cushion you may never want to play 9 ball again.

I believe playing inside the cueball, center, a notch left, right, a notch up and down , then sliding out to the edges to be the best approach .
It's a fairly easy concept to grasp but many people make it seem so difficult, like it's rocket science, it's not.
Straight stroke,shoot holes through the cue ball, solve puzzles.
Stroke speed is best learned in incriments of 3 and 4.
Learn to use the English ......PERIOD....more PERIODS......
Short stroke, mid stroke, and long stroke are a must to learn.
Of course Center and Stun goes without saying.
It all depends on how good you want to be.
Have a glass of water, add a lot of practice and English.
As was mentioned, it's left or right English, follow or draw.

And remember to hug your cue ball.
Sincerely: SS

Forgive the rant,,it's blowing 30 in the wrong direction and I planned on fishing tonight.
lol, yeah just today I was practicing by setting up the exact same shot and playing every type of english on the same shot. Center ball, right, top right, top, top left, left bottom left, bottom, bottom right... Then I'd setup a different shot and do the same thing.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
The easiest shot in pool is a dead straight shot. There’s only one way to hit it-straight.

Everything after that gets complex.

So learn to shoot straight, then take on other ideas until you reach your potential.

not complicated-at first anyways

best
Fatboy
That's the wrong way to think about it. Every shot is just as easy and just as hard as the next. First off, almost never is there an exactly STRAIGHT shot. Secondly, even when there is, unless you're shooting a Tom Cruise rack, you're going to need to do something with it anyways and Thirdly, you still have to strike the cb where you intend and stroke straight, letting the pool cue do the work.

If you know what to do, every shot is just as hard and just as easy.

That's why one of the hardest shots to PLAY, not make mind you, but play, is when a ball is sitting in the corner. Sure, if you hit it, it's going to fall but if it's not the last ball on the table, you STILL need to hit it exactly where you want at the exact speed and with the exact English that you need to fall correctly on the next ball. How many times do pros screw up shape and how many OF those times is on a ball sitting in the corner.

You get a false sense of security when the ball is so easy to make. You should be no less and no more confident about any shot you're shooting. Watch the top pros, when they miss a lot of the time it's because they get tentative and don't stroke it right, but yet when they aren't tentative and they just stroke the same as on every other shot, they'll fire in shots that you wouldn't think are even possible.

Jaden

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agree with Jaden but to add a little more, I think all of us struggle with putting away the money ball sometime or another in our learning curve. We dog easy shots like that corner shot. The reason is simple, we are making that shot different than any shot on the table and we don't practice it.

The solution is easy, always play shape coming off of the money ball. Now you have a place for the money ball to fall and the cue ball to stop, just like every other shot you practice all of the time. Where you are putting the cue ball can be easy and natural but it has to be planned as part of the shot. Viola! No more dogged money balls.

Of course we can dog the money ball for a lot of other reasons but adding that invisible next ball to get shape on will cure a lot of dogged money balls.

Hu

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
lol, yeah just today I was practicing by setting up the exact same shot and playing every type of english on the same shot. Center ball, right, top right, top, top left, left bottom left, bottom, bottom right... Then I'd setup a different shot and do the same thing.

Jaden
A great approach to the cue ball, I think you get my jokes. I also know from reading here a long time that you have a very good understanding of the cue ball, the game, and are a player.

Many people are under the impression punching and stunning the cue ball is limited to center cue ball. (( Wrong )) I think the ultimate stun/punch practice stroke is a shot running down the rail practically dead straight and stun it with left or right , depending on which side of the table you are on, and watch the cue ball take a sharp angle off the rail across the table.

If you can hit that stroke ,,you can hit any stun stroke with english. It takes extreme strike accuracy at 100 mph, again, not uncommon to a player that understands the cue ball and how to strike it. To everyone one else,,,it's multiple orgasms because they can't believe what they just saw the cue ball do, they don't understand the cue ball.
The obvious shot is play stop off the rail or left or right forward roll depending on what side of the table you're on, but that doesn't alwqys cut it
Punching the cue ball around with english is just another part of learning the cue ball that many have no clue it exists.
My new motto,,,,,Bring a straight stroke, cue ball knowledge , and go play pool.
Otherwise sit on the rail or live stream and have an orgasm,,,,lol.

Best: SS

filerunner

It’s hard for me to disagree with Bob, because he’s a better player/teacher than I am. However we might have a difference of opinion. Or possibly I’m flat wrong.

As Jay noted this is interesting. I’m going to wait and read more posts before I say anything else.

I think we can all agree there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I really don’t want to skin a cat, but isn’t that the old saying?😂

Best
Fatboy
A polecat.