Congrats to Stephan Cohen and Danny Diliberto

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent match, Cohen fell behind early but showed a lot of heart and won a nail biter. The first thing he did after sinking the final ball was run to the accustats booth and hug Danny Diliberto. Then he thanked his mentor Danny in front of the crowd and said he couldn't have won without his instruction.

How good of an instructor is Danny Diliberto? One of his students just won the world championship, that's pretty strong.

When this becomes available on accustats I recommend it, one of the best matches I've seen.
 
I really enjoyed watching the matches today. I discovered how exciting straight pool can be at this level.

It's pretty obvious that today's players, with their shotmaking honed by playing primarily 9 ball, take this game to another level. Maybe they don't play the precise patterns of the players of yesteryear, but their finesse and shotmaking, and their powerful strokes, take this game to an entirely different level. Today Ortmann, Mika, and Cohen pulled off shots I've never seen played in straight pool. It was spectacular to watch.

Chris
 
Excellent match, Cohen fell behind early but showed a lot of heart and won a nail biter. The first thing he did after sinking the final ball was run to the accustats booth and hug Danny Diliberto. Then he thanked his mentor Danny in front of the crowd and said he couldn't have won without his instruction.

How good of an instructor is Danny Diliberto? One of his students just won the world championship, that's pretty strong.

When this becomes available on accustats I recommend it, one of the best matches I've seen.

Danny is IMHO the best instructor in the world when it comes to one-pocket and straight pool.

I have Danny stay with me for a week or so at a time and get one-pocket lessons. His insight and ability to explain are phenominal and no-one reads the stack like Danny! I highly recommend Danny for lessons!


Sherm
 
It's pretty obvious that today's players, with their shotmaking honed by playing primarily 9 ball, take this game to another level. Maybe they don't play the precise patterns of the players of yesteryear, but their finesse and shotmaking, and their powerful strokes, take this game to an entirely different level.

The match between Cohen and Mika was intense and exciting, and both played great, but watch Mike Sigel's 150 and out against Mike Zuglan from the 1992 U.S. Open. There's no such thing as "taking the game to another level" after that. Needless to say, Sigel was a supreme 9-ball talent as well.
 
Danny is IMHO the best instructor in the world when it comes to one-pocket and straight pool.

I have Danny stay with me for a week or so at a time and get one-pocket lessons. His insight and ability to explain are phenominal and no-one reads the stack like Danny! I highly recommend Danny for lessons!


Sherm

Danny has been coming to the Chicago area for the last couple of years to give lessons, primarily in 14.1. I am in two different leagues and arrange to get interested players together with Danny in one or two hour sessions. (One guy took a 4 hour lesson and the last time took an 8 hour lesson) We video the lessons for the student so he has something to study. He will probably be back in a month or so. Contact me if you want to tap into that 14.1 or one pocket knowledge while it is still here.
 
I really enjoyed watching the matches today. I discovered how exciting straight pool can be at this level.

It's pretty obvious that today's players, with their shotmaking honed by playing primarily 9 ball, take this game to another level. Maybe they don't play the precise patterns of the players of yesteryear, but their finesse and shotmaking, and their powerful strokes, take this game to an entirely different level. Today Ortmann, Mika, and Cohen pulled off shots I've never seen played in straight pool. It was spectacular to watch.

Chris

One reason I like 14.1 is because it is like an ultimate puzzle solving challenge and when played at the world level it is a treat to watch.

It was also cool that Cohen had a picture of Danny in his pocket during the match and asked Danny to autograph it after he won.
 
Lessons in Cincinnati

Danny has been coming to the Chicago area for the last couple of years to give lessons, primarily in 14.1. I am in two different leagues and arrange to get interested players together with Danny in one or two hour sessions. (One guy took a 4 hour lesson and the last time took an 8 hour lesson) We video the lessons for the student so he has something to study. He will probably be back in a month or so. Contact me if you want to tap into that 14.1 or one pocket knowledge while it is still here.

Yes and Danny is coming to visit me here in Cincinnati. Anyone interested in some lessons in this area may contact me and I'll help you set it up.

Billy Carrelli (one of Cincinnati's top players for decades) was here while Danny was giving me a lesson a couple of months ago. He told me later that he'd learned 2 or 3 little things, just by listening to Danny explain his thought processes to me in my lesson.

Danny has a way of explaining things in a manner that's easy to comprehend. He's also giving private lessons to some notable top pros, who realize the value of his insight. He's also a lot of fun to talk to. He's one of the most interesting people I've ever encountered and has story after story to tell about pool, boxing and many other topics. He's also a hell of a cook! lol

Sherm
 
Danny is my favoriate commontator and I might just have to buy the final match dvd when it's out from Accustates~

Awesome story and very touching
 
Let me say that the 3 commentators Danny, Grady, and Billy have always been gracious and supportive to me as a fan. They all have taken the time to explain things to me when asked. They have been great as well as Pat Fleming and his crew.
But Danny is something special. In all the years that Ive known him he has never helped me in the technical aspects of pool. Well I didnt ask because his level is so high. But he has helped me so much with the mental aspects.
Let me preface this by saying that Danny is the total opposite of me yet we have become good friends. He is a great athlete, has the heart of a lion, and the tenacity of a mule. He is a quick thinker and doesnt hesitate to act and will meet any challenge head on. Me, I am all thumbs, a procrastinator, and am motivated by fear sometimes. If I draw a ball 2 feet Im happy. Yeah I never had a speeding ticket in my life for fear of getting a ticket. I always question myself and my abilities and Danny doesnt. He has supreme confidence in his own self. Which I might add is very old school American. No drugs, no booze, no cheating. Just self determination and courage.
These are the things that Danny taught me and why he is such a great teacher. After a terrible year of losing my Mom and Sister to lung cancer I was in a deep funk. Danny would call me and counsel me and told me to get out of the house and work it out. He told me at my age of 60 he ran 20 miles a day. He got me off my butt and I succesfully did work it out. He would tell me not to fear anything and any man and to call him anytime of the day if I felt the need to talk.
When Danny called me personally from the studio right after the Cohan/Mika match I was so thrilled to hear Dannys voice. "Hey guess what?", he was laughing. "My student and friend won the whole thing!!!" It brought tears to my eyes not because I knew of Cohan who I do now and am so happy for but because Danny has always been a nurturer. A giver who has gone through very, very tough times himself. Danny doesnt only teach pool he teaches life.
 
Even before Stephan won, he was telling Danny that whenever he is playing he hears Danny's voice in his head, telling him what to do. Or what not to do.

I am rewatching some of the lessons that I video'd when he was out here. I think I know what Stephan means. Danny doesn't pull any punches when he is instructing.

"No, no... Don't go into those balls; You don't need to break them. You just need to get on them. They all go." "Now you got to come with a shot. This is where you need to concentrate on your fundamentals. When you feel funny about the shot, just relax, follow through, stay down." "you don't need to bump a break ball up. You already have a break ball. You just need to figure out how to get on it. Now if you do this, .... this.... and this... you'll fall on it naturally. Now just make the shot."


Great stuff.
 
Back
Top