Corey Deuel is the new U.S. National Snooker Champion.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Either way, I think this win is noteworthy, for Corey. He is a badazz with a cue and I'm curious to see how far he can take this.

Eric

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
TAR 36: Road-Partner/North-American Snooker Showdown -- Deuel vs. Pagulayan.

Alex plays snooker at a whole different level then Corey. Winning the Canadian Snooker Championships is a whole different beast. Alot of the guys who play in the Canadian Snooker Championships have actually played pro snooker in the past. Other then Cliff none were top level players, but they were good enough to play actual pro snooker. It was actually a Canadian that Ronnie did his now infamous left handed shooting in a pro match against, which he was almost reprimanded for.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
It was actually a Canadian that Ronnie did his now infamous left handed shooting in a pro match against, which he was almost reprimanded for.

It wasn't shooting left-handed that almost got him reprimanded, it was his response to Robidoux acting like a child; which Ronnie actually called him on. Robidoux said he shouldn't be allowed to play left-handed because it's insulting! What? Robidoux also refused to concede a frame when he was something like 60 points behind, so Ronnie kept playing snookers on him. Robidoux then refused to shake Ronnie's hand.

There's videos of Ronnie playing shots with one-hand in pro tournaments, and his opponents didn't have a whinge to the media about it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry John, been there, done that. Rempe and Mizerak at the peak of their careers gave it a real good shot, including having 6x12 Rileys installed in their homes. Jimmy went the farthest, getting to the final 32 a couple of times. After a couple of years he gave up. He told me we have NO CHANCE against these guys over there, who have played all their life.

and that was back when the standard of play in the UK was much lower than it is now.

axlrose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kirk Stevens

Alex plays snooker at a whole different level then Corey. Winning the Canadian Snooker Championships is a whole different beast. Alot of the guys who play in the Canadian Snooker Championships have actually played pro snooker in the past. Other then Cliff none were top level players, but they were good enough to play actual pro snooker. It was actually a Canadian that Ronnie did his now infamous left handed shooting in a pro match against, which he was almost reprimanded for.

I believe Kirk Stevens was ranked as high as number 4 in the world at one point in the early eighties.

Although not top-tier, Jim Wych made the Embassy quarter-finals twice.

Ryan

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I believe Kirk Stevens was ranked as high as number 4 in the world at one point in the early eighties.

Although not top-tier, Jim Wych made the Embassy quarter-finals twice.

Ryan

I knew Kirk played well but I had no idea he got that high.

The point is made ever stronger, Alex would eviserate Corey in Snooker.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew Kirk played well but I had no idea he got that high.

The point is made ever stronger, Alex would eviserate Corey in Snooker.

Great win for Corey.

However, if he or Alex spent a year in the UK getting coached, I would still bet against them to finish top 8 or higher in any snooker tournament outside of the U.S. and Canada.

D WEATHERSBY II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we Corey fans will have to wait until November to see the action in the
International Billiards & Snooker Federation (IBSF) World Snooker Championships. Maybe if he does well in that field, it will be considered "tuff" enuff.

sheffield6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great win for Corey, regardless of the standard, he beat everyone there.
and made me smile with his shot selection, chalking with his other hand, playing with a pool cue.
I only saw the first 2 frames of the final, what was the final score.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Way to go Corey!!!

I must admit that I have to agree with a lot of other posters on Corey's realistic chances of even placing in Pro events abroad. If he does get a good coach and studies the strategy of the game then maybe he'll have a chance?? The stroke and amount of focus to cue the shots in snooker is something he will always struggle with. There is no cheating the pocket. There is only relying on the correct angle (which is off or on within a matter of inches!!) to stay in line, spreading the reds and moving balls into position. THAT my friends will be the hardest thing to master. That will take forever to learn. Corey does have a strong ability to adapt to conditions but this is snooker not pool. Safety play alone will destroy him. Then again I could see Corey playing strong safes if he learns them.

He could play on the English 9 Ball Tour http://www.gb9balltour.com/ to make money. Im pretty sure he would win most of those events. If he really wants to go deep in snooker he needs to live in the UK and eat breath sleep and crap the game. Hell he may even need to sleep on the table at night.

Good luck to you Corey and I really hope you're reading this thread and its stoking a red hot fire under your arse to kick some arse!!! Do us all a favor and go beat the snot out of those plonkers who tell you you can't do it!!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
First off, congratulations to Corey Deuel for a fine win.

I looked briefly and noted a high run of 68 by Mr. Deuel in the final. Does anyone know that the tournament high run was ? Anyone get a century ?

Dave <-- knows several in Saskatchewan, a Canadian snooker backwater, who rattle off centuries

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Does anyone have info or a link to the world snooker championships? I'd be interested to see a field list, although I'm sure I've never heard of 99% of them because snooker carries less weight than soccer in the US.

If Corey actually is serious about wanting to do good at this event, and I'll ask him, I'd be curious as to what kind of odds I could get on betting on his advancement to each level.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Good afternoon AZers, interesting post just as I popped in for a rare peak! :)

Another way at looking at it is this maybe, how many "failed" Snooker players have done well at Pool, I only say failed because they wouldn't have made the switch if they were succeeding as the money is much better in Snooker.

Peach.....World 9 Ball Champ?
Melling....Several Big Titles now?
Mark Grey....Previous European Number 1
Etc. etc.

But before anyone cries snob, the problem here is simple, most people are comparing pocket billiard pool games such as 9 ball to snooker and the game just isn't difficult enough to showcase the pool players wider range of skills. The snooker player is always going to have the advantage at potting as he plays with smaller pockets on a bigger table, that's a no brainer.

Pool players could have made the grade if they had started at an early age but Snooker is a young mans game and even yesterday's world champions admit that they would have struggled in today's era as the game is at a much higher level today due to increased competition and more aggressive players.

I played Snooker quite a lot for a year after a decade out of the game and the potting advantage that gave me on a smaller table allowed me to compete at the top level of pool (over relatively short races). Pool players have amazing skills, a much greater array than snooker players have (I will never forget Steve Davis not understanding that spin couple be applied to the object ball for example). The problem is you can't win at Snooker unless you have the long game, and that I'm afraid is something you simply can not learn at a later age, there's a reason why Snooker is a young mans game and pool is less so and this is it.

Pool needs to find a game that showcases the amazing array of shots that top players such as Corey or Efren possess, if only it could do that and make it appealing to the public then maybe we'd have something...

Nice to see you back Craig if only briefly. This is a very good analysis. No one said it would be easy of course. I do disagree that a person can't learn the long game at a later age. I don't see anything about snooker and the skills required that a good solid 3-5 years of truly dedicated, and I am mean TRULY dedicated, practice wouldn't be overcome.

Of course, I do defer more to your opinion and the opinions of those who have "been there" so to speak. I'd just like to see what happens.

Well, in a way we do have a small preview of it with Stuart Pettman and the DCC straight pool challenge on the 10ft tables. No American professional broke 100 on the 10ft table and yet ex-snooker player Pettman, now living in Thailand and playing pool, broke 100 twice. He did however lose to Orcullo in the competition stage.

But I still think a TOP pool pro, in the US or anywhere, could make a good run at snooker. I don't consider Melling or Peach to be as good of players as Johnny Archer or Ralf Souquet for example. Just because they "failed" at snooker (not ranking as high as they wanted to go) - doesn't mean Johnny would fail as well. But I do agree that with 14 year olds dropping centuries like it's nothing ANYONE will have it tough making it in pro snooker.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Practice doesn't equal Talent

The "unfair" talent, comes from the amount of PRACTICE he put in figuring out the game.

Put in the hours and everyone calls you talented.

It isn't the hours of practice (alone)..some are more naturally gifted then others are..period. Brandt Snedeker..a very talented top 10 golfer can practice 10x as much as Phil or Tiger and never have their talent...I can rattle off 50 examples in both pool and other sports. Some are simply more "gifted" or "talented"..like Efren was in his prime..I'm sure there were plenty of 1 pocket pro's who practiced their asses off...and Efren toyed with them. There were alot of NBA players practicing everyday..and then they played against Jordan, or LeBron.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have info or a link to the world snooker championships? I'd be interested to see a field list, although I'm sure I've never heard of 99% of them because snooker carries less weight than soccer in the US.

If Corey actually is serious about wanting to do good at this event, and I'll ask him, I'd be curious as to what kind of odds I could get on betting on his advancement to each level.

Ranking has been based on points.
http://www.prosnookerblog.com/rankings/snooker-rankings-how-they-work/

The more prestigious the tournament the more points available.
http://www.prosnookerblog.com/rankings/201314-rankings-pages/snooker-rankings-201314-points-tariffs/

World Championship is held late April - early May - takes 17 days, longer than the Olympics.

The Players
http://www.prosnookerblog.com/rankings/201213-rankings-pages/201213-official-rankings-end-of-season/

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I have to wonder... In merry old England how far does one have to travel to find a 12' snooker table? How far would you have to travel to find a pool table?. OK an American pool table? to be fair.....

Here in the States if you are drawn to a cuesport there is only usually 1 option... http://www.findsnooker.com/

Our snooker champions play pool... There is in no way based upon the sizes of the populations that the USA wouldn't produce far more snooker champions than England if that was the game that was in the culture...

You are seeing this as the Chinese take to cue sports in mass... 10% of the top98 Snooker rankings are Chinese... They are assimilating cuesports....

You can bet against Corey because of the long odds... But to bet against him because he played pool first is stuck on stupid...

Champions are not cut from the same cloth as the recreational or amateur player.. I think Corey has way better odds than a ton of promising talents they have in merry old England etc based on that fact alone.....

Chris

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to wonder... In merry old England how far does one have to travel to find a 12' snooker table? How far would you have to travel to find a pool table?. OK an American pool table? to be fair.....

Here in the States if you are drawn to a cuesport there is only usually 1 option... http://www.findsnooker.com/

Our snooker champions play pool... There is in no way based upon the sizes of the populations that the USA wouldn't produce far more snooker champions than England if that was the game that was in the culture...

You are seeing this as the Chinese take to cue sports in mass... 10% of the top98 Snooker rankings are Chinese... They are assimilating cuesports....

You can bet against Corey because of the long odds... But to bet against him because he played pool first is stuck on stupid...

Champions are not cut from the same cloth as the recreational or amateur player.. I think Corey has way better odds than a ton of promising talents they have in merry old England etc based on that fact alone.....

Chris

What's the population in the Philippines guess Im stuck on stupid;)