Corey getting roasted on Facebook

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel crying about European players in American tournaments. Wants them in their own bracket, not getting a lot of sympathy.

“What do players think about having international players get seeded into one side of bracket and Americans seeded to the other side. This would help for rankings. I've seen this done in other country's seems to work great. what you guys think???”

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Corey Deuel crying about European players in American tournaments. Wants them in their own bracket, not getting a lot of sympathy.

“What do players think about having international players get seeded into one side of bracket and Americans seeded to the other side. This would help for rankings. I've seen this done in other country's seems to work great. what you guys think???”
I guess he's earned the right to cry, since everybody cried about his soft break and got it changed lol

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last month he was roasting league players for handicapping tournaments. Saying things sarcastically like "let's all just get together and share all the money..." Now he wants seeding by continent so it's "fairer"? He's such a clown.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Hard to tell if he is serious.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210830-065736_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210830-065736_Facebook.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 447

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

This must have been done at an overseas tournament. Or he is just making a point about how ridiculous handicaps have become.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
To be fair to Corey, it was either the China Open or a Chinese 8 ball championships that did this. There were separate brackets for international players and Chinese players. So it’s not like it was his idea.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was the Texas open that just happened? Corey also made this comment, I guess he almost missed his match.
“Tyler Styer they did the draw at 3am my match was 9am ...I was fast asleep. Pool room opened at 10am previous days was lucky to make my match”

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who cares??? Lets keep FB gossip on FB.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If this has been done in the past, it is regrettable, but stratification of the draw by nationality is a really bad idea. It is very unfair, and it gets in the way of delivering the strongest players to the latest rounds, which would be a disservice to the fans.

Thumbs down from this fan.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If this has been done in the past, it is regrettable, but stratification of the draw by nationality is a really bad idea. It is very unfair, and it gets in the way of delivering the strongest players to the latest rounds, which is a disservice to the fans. ...
At 3-cushion World Cup events, at least at one time, as much as possible players from one country/region were separated as much as possible in the draw so that you wouldn't be travelling 5000 miles to be playing your friend. Since all such players were at the same unseeded level, it seemed like a pretty reasonable adjustment. I think it's far more reasonable than clumping players by region.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last month he was roasting league players for handicapping tournaments. Saying things sarcastically like "let's all just get together and share all the money..." Now he wants seeding by continent so it's "fairer"? He's such a clown.
your one of the clowns that can’t read words or understand context apparently.

I’m not a big fan of his but he’s crying at all lol he’s asking a simple question for opinions on so,ethi g that is being done else where. whats the big deal

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've not run into Corey in recent years, but he's always been innovative in his strategies for pool as well as other happenings in his life. He gave snooker a serious look and competed in a couple events, and he's always been a golf enthusiast. I admire the kid for his creativity, i.e., bird break, which spread like wildfire at the World Championship in Philippines. Everybody was doing the bird break. In fact, there is one school of thought that the winner that year only won because of his bird break perfection, not his shot-making capabilities. After that tournament, the three-balls-must-pass rule came to the fore.

Corey is 43 now and still out there competing in pool tournaments. I'm not sure how he makes a living these days, but I'm sure pool doesn't make ends meet for 95 percent of all pool players who compete professionally. I respect their opinions and suggestions as they know what's going on out there more than I do as a railbird.

He was one of the youngest ever to U.S. Open 9-ball Championship, I think in close ranking with Mike Sigel.

As an aside, when we used to travel the American pool tournament trail, all the ladies were in awe of Corey. He was, to them, the Elvis Presley of pool, and the funny thing about it, the young handsome lad never realized how much he was admired the female persuasion. He was all about competition and winning.

When a player like Corey shares their thoughts, I'll listen. Buddy Hall was a strong proponent of loser breaks. Both of these veteran players' thoughts/opinions are worthy of consideration.

Here's a cute shot of Corey in 2003 at the Big Apple tournament, never realizing how many female followers hung onto his every word. ;) :p :cool::love:

Corey_Deuel.jpg

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
At 3-cushion World Cup events, at least at one time, as much as possible players from one country/region were separated as much as possible in the draw so that you wouldn't be travelling 5000 miles to be playing your friend. Since all such players were at the same unseeded level, it seemed like a pretty reasonable adjustment. I think it's far more reasonable than clumping players by region.
Thanks for the education. I'm OK with this, as three cushion handled it in a way that did not compromise the tournament's ability to produce the strongest possible contingent of players in the late rounds.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Thanks for the education. I'm OK with this, as three cushion handled it in a way that did not compromise the tournament's ability to produce the strongest possible contingent of players in the late rounds.
Corey suggests seeding the top 5 Americans through the top side of the bracket, and the top 5 foreigners in the bottom side of the bracket. The separation in each half of the bracket ensures the best odds at seeing the highest level of talent in the later rounds, while also ensuring that at least 1 American will have a seat in the finals of the American hosted event.

PracticeChampion

That was nearly 20 years ago, I'm sure the beads are long gone LoL

He's a pool player trying to make a living, so if he or anyone could exclude a big part of some stiff competition I understand but I don't think it's good for him or pool in general